Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Why I Believe The Twins Are Going To Sign Yu Darvish

yu darvish
  • Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#41 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

???

..... because I saw him pitch in the last one? and one could say that the high priced rental, and sticking with him, cost the Dodgers the World Series. You must have watched, no?

so based on the WS games? Pitchers have bad games. He did awesome in NLDS and NLCS. Back in the offseason after '91, the Blue Jays probably said 'Wow, we need Jack Morris for the W Series. Lets get him' although they won the W Series,it certainly wasnt due to Morris' W Series performance, or his ALCS performance for that matter.
  • h2oface and RaymondLuxuryYacht like this

#42 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

to comment...

I think the Twins are very serious about Darvish. In that, I agree with Nick.

I'm certain that the big bidders aren't in the market this offseason, which is why the FA market has been sooooooooooooooooooooo cold.

I'm not certain that Darvish is very serious about the Twins. I do think that Darvish's agent is smart enough to make sure that the Twins are in it to the end, if for no other reason than to maximize the return, but it would be nice to hear something. Usually by now, the top FA SPs are all signed and we are looking at the scraps. It's not so much this season, so who knows how it shakes out.

• laloesch likes this

#43 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

???

..... because I saw him pitch in the last one? and one could say that the high priced rental, and sticking with him, cost the Dodgers the World Series. You must have watched, no?

To quote a financial tag, "past performance does not guarantee future results".

• h2oface likes this

#44 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,302 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

to comment...

I think the Twins are very serious about Darvish. In that, I agree with Nick.

I'm certain that the big bidders aren't in the market this offseason, which is why the FA market has been sooooooooooooooooooooo cold.

I'm not certain that Darvish is very serious about the Twins. I do think that Darvish's agent is smart enough to make sure that the Twins are in it to the end, if for no other reason than to maximize the return, but it would be nice to hear something. Usually by now, the top FA SPs are all signed and we are looking at the scraps. It's not so much this season, so who knows how it shakes out.

I think if Darvish and his agent were only in it to pump up the other teams they would have had a highly publicized meeting with the Twins to leverage the other clubs.

As counter-intuitive as it might sound, to me it looks like it's been the opposite, meetings with other teams may be used to leverage the Twins.

Honestly my optimism is still quite modest but I'll admit it may present itself as more grand as I'm out of practice using it.

• diehardtwinsfan and Deduno Abides like this

#45 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Call it a hot take. I'm fine with that. It's been cold out, and the frozen state of affairs this offseason is only deepening the chill.

But I've become convinced that the Twins are destined to sign Yu Darvish. And while it's very possible that my desperation for something – anything – to happen this winter is driving me into delirium, I really don't think it's a totally baseless prognostication.

When hundreds of Minnesota baseball diehards congregate at the Winter Meltdown in a couple of weeks, I think we'll all be celebrating the biggest free agency splash in Twins franchise history.What leads me to this conclusion? Well, part of it is wishful thinking, I'll admit. Darvish would be an awesome fit on the Twins and would lift them to serious championship contender status almost instantly. I badly want to see it, so long as the price makes any sense.

But there are also plenty of legitimate indications that this could very realistically go down. I'll lay out the two biggest ones, and you can add your own (or dispute mine) in the comments.

Only Eyes For Yu
The Twins have been openly connected to Darvish throughout the offseason, and GM Thad Levine hasn't been shy about his pursuit. But there've been few other substantive rumors tying Minnesota to any other prominent free agents. A rumbling of trade buzz here and there, sure, but despite their outward interest in adding a frontline starter, the Twins have been conspicuously silent in relation to other free agent starters like Jake Arrieta, Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn.

Meanwhile, they've been operating as a team that's gearing up for a big spend. Fernando Rodney and Zach Duke were both low-dollar one year commitments. The Twins have added around $7 million in salary by signing them, but offset part of it by shedding ByungHo Park's contract.

So right now they are treading water below $100 million in committed payroll, at a time where they're making their contention push in earnest.

Darvish in No Hurry
Last week it was reported that Darvish's and his reps had yet to meet with the Twins front office, and that the two sides "don't see it as necessary -- not yet anyway."

Many took this as a sign the Twins aren't really in the running for Darvish. We're headlong into January now and there hasn't even been a meeting? Sounds unpromising.

But, in my irrationally and unfoundedly optimistic state, I'm clinging to the hypothetical premise I laid out in the forums here at Twins Daily last month:

"Here's what is playing out right now – from my hopeful view:

Levine has a good enough relationship with Darvish and his agent that the two sides have kept an open line of communication. Thad signaled early on that his interest was very serious, and Darvish's camp indicated that the interest was mutual.

So over the past couple of weeks, Darvish has been meeting with other legit suitors to hear their pitches and receive their offers. Now he'll be able to go into a meeting with the Twins knowing full well what else is out there, and what his options are. Meanwhile, Levine will know exactly what kind of bids he's up against.

No matter how you look at it, I think Minnesota meeting with Darvish later in the process rather than earlier almost has to be viewed as a good thing... as long as it actually happens."

It was a shot in the dark at the time, but nothing that's happened since has made it feel any less plausible.

Darvish has met with the Cubs. He's met with the Astros. Neither of those engagements resulted in remotely immediate action, and the Yankees seem to be distantly waiting for the righty's price to drop.

The Twins are said to be prepared to offer a "market deal" to Darvish. And as it happens, through all of his courting elsewhere, the realities of his market have become pretty much solidified.

It's clear that Minnesota is at least interested in a meeting with Darvish. And while jaded Twins fans love to opt toward the ol' "he's just not that into you" quip, it's kinda silly to think he'd actually be opposed to linking up, given that he evidently hasn't been blown away by any other suitors.

It's almost as though Darvish is biding his time, content in the knowledge that his destination is set, and a meeting is merely a formality.

What say you?

Click here to view the article

Well, whether or not its true or if this analysis holds true.It at least makes me feel better.

Thanks Nick

• Deduno Abides likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#46 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

I-believe-in-yu.jpg

• USAFChief, glunn, nicksaviking and 7 others like this

#47 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

I think if Darvish and his agent were only in it to pump up the other teams they would have had a highly publicized meeting with the Twins to leverage the other clubs.

As counter-intuitive as it might sound, to me it looks like it's been the opposite, meetings with other teams may be used to leverage the Twins.

I don't think modern MLB front offices are going to be influenced by blatant "pumping up" attempts. There are some nuanced cases where it could work along the margins, but if everyone and his dog knows that a top FA won't be signing with a frugal mid-market team, a meeting accomplishes nothing.

I still think the only way Darvish signs here is if we significantly outbid everyone else. All parties involved (Twins, Darvish, other clubs) know that's unlikely.

#48 Drew

Drew

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAim low, aim so low that when you achieve your goal, even you will be disappointed. ~ Homer Simpson

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

It would be great to sign Darvish. But if he does sign, and helps take the Twins to a World Series, he will have to pitch in said Series, and I can't say I look forward to that.

You wouldn't look forward to the Twins in the World Series?

Cody Bellinger had an OPS of .565 and struckout over 60% of his World Series ABs

Mark Lemke had an OPS of 1.170 in his first World Series

Neither of those stat lines tell us anything about those players other than how they did in a microscopic sample size. 

• USAFChief, glunn, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this

#49 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Falvey and Levine seem like logical men. It seems completely logical to me, that if you sign Darvish, you trade for Archer (unless the asking price is just completely over the top). Signing Darvish opens the door and with a little prospect luck could move you toward WS contention. Doing both flings that door wide open and gives you a legit 4 year window of WS contention.

The reported demand from the Pirates for 2 years of Cole seemed reasonable to me (Gordon, Granite, and Jay). If not 4 years of Archer at a much higher price, why not 2 years of Cole? Maybe he likes to fish for Pike.

• gagu likes this

#50 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

so based on the WS games? Pitchers have bad games. He did awesome in NLDS and NLCS. Back in the offseason after '91, the Blue Jays probably said 'Wow, we need Jack Morris for the W Series. Lets get him' although they won the W Series,it certainly wasnt due to Morris' W Series performance, or his ALCS performance for that matter.

Yup. Like it or not, when the light is all shining on you..... it is unforgettable. I can repeat all the small sample dogma, sure, but that is obvious. The pitch tipping well documented, according to the Astros, thank you. Could happen to anyone. Selective reading. I also said I hope they sign Darvish. And if they do, they will regret it before the end of the contract. Pragmatist. Not everyone can be a Bumgarner when it is time to take the biggest stage.

#51 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,571 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

If they can sign him with Johnny Cueto/Jordan Zimmerman $, I would have no problem with it.If he is looking for David Price/Zack Greinke $, forget about it, because that contract will end up being what Mauer's (and Hughes's) is now...

• darin617, clutterheart and tarheeltwinsfan like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#52 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Darvish is going to be extremely rich wherever he goes. I believe he is also looking for the place where he thinks he’ll have the best relationships.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#53 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

If they can sign him with Johnny Cueto/Jordan Zimmerman $, I would have no problem with it.If he is looking for David Price/Zack Greinke $, forget about it, because that contract will end up being what Mauer's (and Hughes's) is now...

TF is this tweet? 

Edited by Brandon Warne, 09 January 2018 - 07:32 PM.

• nytwinsfan and GP830 like this

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow The Athletic on Twitter: @TheAthleticMin

#54 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

TF is this tweet? 

Proof of a sense of humor?

#55 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

So Darvish hasn't met with the Twins - has he met with all 29 other teams?How many has he met with?

#56 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

The reported demand from the Pirates for 2 years of Cole seemed reasonable to me (Gordon, Granite, and Jay). If not 4 years of Archer at a much higher price, why not 2 years of Cole? Maybe he likes to fish for Pike.

I’d rather pay a much higher price for 4 years of Archer.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#57 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

The reported demand from the Pirates for 2 years of Cole seemed reasonable to me (Gordon, Granite, and Jay). If not 4 years of Archer at a much higher price, why not 2 years of Cole? Maybe he likes to fish for Pike.

This was not reported. It was an unsubstantiated rumor.

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow The Athletic on Twitter: @TheAthleticMin

#58 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

I'd feel better about it if they, you know, talked to each other about it maybe, possibly happening.

• birdwatcher likes this

#59 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

I'd feel better about it if they, you know, talked to each other about it maybe, possibly happening.

This is more like a high school dating relationship...

Hey, can you tell Yu that someone likes him... just don't say who...

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#60 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

Thrylos, can you tell us more about who your source is (works for the Twins, etc.?). How credible is this person? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yu darvish