Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Why I Believe The Twins Are Going To Sign Yu Darvish

yu darvish
  • Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,628 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

I still contend that the Yankees and Dodgers are out unless they are able to move a significant amount of money. Ellsbury and Kemp will be real hard to move. 

I believe the Astros are out after Cole. 

It doesn't look like the Cubs are shopping at the top of the market. 

It's the Rangers that I worry about and I don't care if Jon Daniels says they are out. They have been rumored to have been holding discussions about Darvish, Arrieta and Greinke this off season.  

They ain't out. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#202 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

Here's a thought if he signs in the middle or end of spring he ramps his innings up as if it's spring the first 3 or 4 starts and maybe doesn't run into postseason problems. I'm guessing he won't lose any money "holding out" a few weeks, and if I'm the team and think inning count was a factor in the postseason I'm on board with the plan.

#203 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,197 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Your move, Minnesota.

Edited by Vanimal46, 21 January 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#204 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,814 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

Your move, Minnesota.

Hooray for Google Translate, which completely clarified Darvish's tweet which was in Japanese: "Brewers participating in full-scale participation in winning Darvish pitcher who is FA from Dodgers. There is also the possibility that the fighting battle where "interdigitation" has continued with six teams such as old-fashioned Dodgers, can progress at a stretch."

• Carole Keller, USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

#205 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,770 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

Could really use some good news right about now Twins. It would be a great time to swoop in and tell Minnesota fans that we're not insignificant.
  • USAFChief and Twins33 like this

#206 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

It seems to me Darvish uses twitter in an odd way.If he thinks other teams are going to up there offer because the Brewers made an offer he's wrong.If Brewers offer is 6 years 125-135 other teams aren't gonna care and neither is Darvish.Nothings gonna happen until someone offers an extra $25 million plus or until June.

#207 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,898 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

It seems to me Darvish uses twitter in an odd way.If he thinks other teams are going to up there offer because the Brewers made an offer he's wrong.If Brewers offer is 6 years 125-135 other teams aren't gonna care and neither is Darvish.Nothings gonna happen until someone offers an extra $25 million plus or until June.

I don’t think he’s using Twitter to up offers. I think he uses Twitter to troll people because that’s what Twitter is a lot of the time. And I think he enjoys it because of the responses he gets and because he knows that people bring these things back to message boards like this and try to find the hidden meaning when there is none. He stated from the beginning he’s in no hurry and wants to enjoy this process because it’s the last big FA he’ll have. And when his agent gets the offer they want from the team they want he’ll sign.

And I still don’t think he’ll sign with the Twins even though I am still kind of hoping he will.
  • Riverbrian likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#208 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,168 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

I don’t think he’s using Twitter to up offers. I think he uses Twitter to troll people because that’s what Twitter is a lot of the time. And I think he enjoys it because of the responses he gets and because he knows that people bring these things back to message boards like this and try to find the hidden meaning when there is none. He stated from the beginning he’s in no hurry and wants to enjoy this process because it’s the last big FA he’ll have. And when his agent gets the offer they want from the team they want he’ll sign.

And I still don’t think he’ll sign with the Twins even though I am still kind of hoping he will.

So, you're saying he's planning on running for office, then? ;)

• Carole Keller and diehardtwinsfan like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#209 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

I think if the Twins front office and GM's really want him then I think they need to step up pretty quickly and offer him something significant, if the Twins play the wait until Spring Training or the wait until June game then they will lose out.If they show that they are a little bit more serious than the Brewers or the Rangers then that might just be enough to help him make his decision.If they try to play rock, paper, scissors with the likes of the Yankees and such then they will lose, if they step up and show him that they want him in Minnesota more than the other teams do then I feel they have a good shot at him.

JMO

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#210 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

This is just a wild theory, but is it possible there was an unwritten agreement among owners not to sign any free agent starters or position players before the Hall of Fame vote? The goal would be to drive down prices, presumably.

#211 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Just to finish beating the dead horse, I finally was pointed to an online version of the official rules that govern the teams in matters like these:

https://registration...LeagueRules.pdf

It contains the verbiage concerning the 60-day DL beginning when pitchers and catchers report. (Page 10, rule 2g3F)

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing... {clicks to bookmark}
  • ashburyjohn likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yu darvish