Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Projecting The 2021 Twins Line-Up

royce lewis brent rooker nick gordon max kepler byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Projecting these lineups when most the players mentioned have had less than 500AB's overall and haven't proven they can hit above A+ (sans the current 40-man/MLB guys) is kind of funny.In fact, most the minor league guys have also been sub .270 hitters with little power other than Rooker, who is beast. 

I get this is more crystal ball-like than statistical which is why having this discussion should occur and include players who are at AA and above.Or better yet, start another thread for players that are at A+ and below for the pie in the sky picks. 

Unfortunately, with a farm system that has so few project-able front of the rotation guys in the system, many of the projected position players shown will likely be traded for needed pitching, knowing that position players can come through the draft or via trades more predictably.  

Sorry if i am being a buzz-kill...Just trying to be realistic.

I think most everyone understood the premise of the thread. They might even have looked at things other than batting average to make their predictions. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Nothing wrong with the predictions, they all make perfect sense. However, if still say Rosario of Khiroloff at that point, unless traded. And no love for Javier? I could easily see some combination of him, Lewis, Gordon and even Polanco with Dozier gone, or super utility type.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Caveat that there will be new blood

C - Rainis Silva

1B - Brent Rooker

2B - Jorge Polanco

3B - Miguel Sano

SS - Wander Javier

LF - Royce Lewis

CF- Byron Buxton

RF- Eddie Rosario

DH - Lewin Diaz

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Projecting these lineups when most the players mentioned have had less than 500AB's overall and haven't proven they can hit above A+ (sans the current 40-man/MLB guys) is kind of funny.In fact, most the minor league guys have also been sub .270 hitters with little power other than Rooker, who is beast. 

I get this is more crystal ball-like than statistical which is why having this discussion should occur and include players who are at AA and above.Or better yet, start another thread for players that are at A+ and below for the pie in the sky picks. 

Unfortunately, with a farm system that has so few project-able front of the rotation guys in the system, many of the projected position players shown will likely be traded for needed pitching, knowing that position players can come through the draft or via trades more predictably.  

Sorry if i am being a buzz-kill...Just trying to be realistic.

There are three or four pitchers in the system who could realistically become #2 or #3 starters - Gonsalves, Thorpe, Graterol and Enlow, and several others who could be good, including Romero, Littell and Slegers. Of course, they could all bust or struggle, but it will be a while before we find out. To be realistic, you need to consider success to be as likely an outcome as failure.

P.S. good luck with projecting with confidence any minor league pitcher to be a durable #1.
  • birdwatcher, gunnarthor, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#25 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Where's Bryce Harper?
  • Twins33 and Jham like this

#26 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Do a forum search for “2018” and sort it in ascending order.

Some late 2012 and early 2013 projections werent all that bad.

Edited by amjgt, 08 January 2018 - 09:37 PM.

#27 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

2021 Line up for me looks more like:

C: Mitch Garver

1B: Brent Rooker

2B: Jorge Polanco

3B: Wander Javier

SS: Royce Lewis

LF: Eddie Rosario

CF: Byron Buxton

RF: Max Kepler

DH: Miguel Sano

Bench:

OF: Lamonte Wade

IF: Nick Gordon

C: Rainis Silva

IF: Luis Arraez

AAA ready prospects:

Blankenhorn, Baddoo, Kirilloff, Jose Miranda, Lewin Diaz

I'd say theres a solid chance one or more of Polanco/Rosario/Kepler could be moved by then.

Edited by jsteve96, 09 January 2018 - 12:05 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#28 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

C - Rainis Silva

1B - Brent Rooker

2B - Jorge Polanco

3B - Miguel Sano

SS - Wander Javier

LF - Royce Lewis

CF- Byron Buxton

RF- Eddie Rosario

DH - Lewin Diaz

I like this list. I hope Diaz and Silva do come along. not a lot of confidence in Diaz being here over Kepler, though.

#29 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

C - Rainis Silva

1B - Brent Rooker

2B - Jorge Polanco

3B - Miguel Sano

SS - Wander Javier

LF - Royce Lewis

CF- Byron Buxton

RF- Eddie Rosario

DH - Lewin Diaz

Looks like a game of find where the caveat applies .... One of these kids is doing his own thing .... Unless we enter Jesus Christ and Jenny Craig, I think I know the room, the weapon and who done it

#30 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

C - Rainis Silva
1B - Brent Rooker
2B - Jorge Polanco
3B - Miguel Sano
SS - Wander Javier
LF - Royce Lewis
CF- Byron Buxton
RF- Eddie Rosario
DH - Lewin Diaz

Have to admit you threw me a tad here with Diaz, no Kepler and Silva at catcher. I'm assuming you see Kepler moved at some point. And I'm with you at Sano at 3B until proven otherwise. But I'm a little off on Silva. I think current wisdom would be Garver and Rortvedt. Care to expand on your thoughts regarding Silva?

--Lou Brown

#31 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Just a thought, but it seems there are two elephants in the room. The first is Sano, and does he remain at 3B? For how long? If and when does he move to 1B/DH? I'm not implying he should be moved at this point, but if and when it happens, it changes the complexion of the roster and lineup.

The second elephant is a possible Dozier extension. IF it happens, is at 2B? Does he move to 3B? Is this about the time he becomes more of a DH/1B/super utility guy?

Cody, I know you have Dozier at 3B here, and I could see it. I've also mentioned in the past about having the athleticism, if not the preffered height, to maybe play 1B. But part of me wonders if the bulk of the infield couldn't be a combination of Lewis, Gordon, Javier and Polanco. Potentially, 3 starters and a super utility guy. (Maybe wishful thinking to keep them all). But what an athletic infield they'd make!

--Lou Brown

#32 Baseball Bat

Baseball Bat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

No love for Akil Baddoo?

#33 Baseball Bat

Baseball Bat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

C - Rainis Silva

1B - Brent Rooker

2B - Jorge Polanco

3B - Miguel Sano

SS - Wander Javier

LF - Royce Lewis

CF- Byron Buxton

RF- Eddie Rosario

DH - Lewin Diaz

You were just looking for a way to sneak in Rainis Silva into conversation weren't you?

• Oldgoat_MN and dbminn like this

#34 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

I like turtles!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, brent rooker, nick gordon, max kepler, byron buxton