Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Interview with Director of Baseball Operations Daniel Adler

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

If there's a web interface at all, which I doubt there is as web interfaces don't make much sense for this kind of work (at least the way I imagine the system working based on previous experience). There are loads of tools that can be installed locally to pull data directly from a remote source.

The much heralded Astros system is a web interface which was hacked, if you recall. Seeing as media and baseball were incredibly impressed with what the Astros built, would it *truly* surprise you if other teams mimicked it as being forward-thinking?

You're putting too much faith into the metrics abilities for a team which has never proven competence in the area.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

The much heralded Astros system is a web interface which was hacked, if you recall. Seeing as media and baseball were incredibly impressed with what the Astros built, would it *truly* surprise you if other teams mimicked it as being forward-thinking?

You're putting too much faith into the metrics abilities for a team which has never proven competence in the area.

1. Do you have a link stating the Cardinals gained access to a web interface? I remember reading they accessed a database (databases?) and email but never recall seeing how that information was accessed, whether via web or a direct connection to the database.

2. The Twins have overhauled their analytics department, even going so far as to let go of the guy previously in charge. Both Levine and Falvey come from more technically-adept organizations, as do most of their recent hires. What the Twins did or did not do in the past is becoming less relevant by the day.

• Carole Keller and birdwatcher like this

#23 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

What the Twins did or did not do in the past is becoming less relevant by the day.

How so? They still haven't done anything, 12+ months after joining the team.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

So you start the conversation by saying the Twins have always been bad at analytics and follow it up by saying they haven’t “done anything”, which extends far beyond analytics.

We know they’ve done a lot in analytics based only on their hires and shuffling of the organizational hierarchy. Naturally, we don’t know the details of what they’ve done or what they’re doing because teams don’t reveal much about the inner workings of their analytics departments.

Also, why’d you ignore my request for a link about the Astros’ web interface? I’ve scanned a dozen articles now and not a single mention of how the data was accessed with specifics about the interface.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#25 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

I would respectfully submit that you have negligible knowledge about what's been done behind the scenes. 

#26 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

I would respectfully submit that you have negligible knowledge about what's been done behind the scenes. 

Nor do I care about what's been done behind the scenes. I'm talking about key signings since they arrived. 

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

So you start the conversation by saying the Twins have always been bad at analytics and follow it up by saying they haven’t “done anything”, which extends far beyond analytics.

Analytics are pointless if they are not using them, right? Why would we buy into the Twins becoming metrics geniuses when there are no results from whatever-it-is-they-are-doing?

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

Analytics are pointless if they are not using them, right? Why would we buy into the Twins becoming metrics geniuses when there are no results from whatever-it-is-they-are-doing?

So you’re judging a 5+ year plan on two months of little action in an offseason where there has been shockingly little action from MLB at large.

And to do so, you need to ignore the Twins’ 2017 draft, which employed a vastly different strategy than any draft under Ryan or Smith.

Hell, earlier in this very thread you said you’d never heard of Adler until now. Maybe it’s possible you’re not exactly an authority on the Twins’ current use of analytics.

#29 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

So you’re judging a 5+ year plan on two months of little action in an offseason where there has been shockingly little action from MLB at large.

Untrue, I'm also basing it on last offseason.

For whatever reason people are swarming at the moment and taking narrow/bizarre interpretations of my statements and attacking them, so I will bow out of this conversation. I'll be back when people are ready to converse instead of whatever-this-is.