Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Three Prospects To Watch In 2018

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Yeah for sure.  A ton of young prospects too.  The Cedar Rapids team could be stacked with prospects early in the season.  Few guys I think could end up there:

1) Baddoo
2) Enlow
3) Lewis (perhaps, to start the year at least)
4) Javiar
5) Kiriloff
6) Graterol
7) Miranda
8) Bechtold
9) Jovani Moran
10) Leach (perhaps, late in year)

Thanks for the Jovani Moran reminder.  He's intriguing as well.

• AZTwin likes this

#42 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

This is possible, but woild probably require Javier to really emerge as an elite bat, as well as Lewis.

They do have depth of potentially solid propsects but the system is light in elite (or even potentially elite) guys.

Disagree with this.With Lewis, Gordon, Rooker, Enlow, Baadoo, Javier and others probably reaching the top 150 if not the top 100 and Gonsalves and Romero close the Twins are getting close to as much talent as the truly elite systems.  

How much of this talent will grow is the issue.

#43 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,244 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

My guess is that we have a top 10 system right now but not top 5. A year from now, it might be top 5.

#44 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Lewis Thorpe-He did great pitching last year coming off of Tommy John surgery and mono. Now we will see how improved Thorpe will be since he actually had a full off season.

Fernando Romero-Over all last year was a successful one for Romero, however he ended poorly last year and was on the DL with shoulder impingement. It will be interesting to see how much better Romero can be, especially if his secondary stuff is better.

Tyler Wells-If Wells is healthy this year he may very well be knocking on the door to AAA by years end. When healthy last year he was absolutely dominant pitching for Cedar Rapids. Not only was his stuff pretty good, but for a 6’8” pitcher his control and command was pretty good as well. I could see him succeeding in both Ft Myers and Chattanooga so long as he is healthy.

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

My guess is that we have a top 10 system right now but not top 5. A year from now, it might be top 5.

Gonna be hard if Gonsalves and Romero gradutate to have a top five, imo. It's also possible Gordon gradutates, though that is less likely, I believe.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#46 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,244 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Gonna be hard if Gonsalves and Romero gradutate to have a top five, imo. It's also possible Gordon gradutates, though that is less likely, I believe.

True, but even with those three gone, our high end youngsters (Graterol, Baddoo, Kiriloff, Miranda, Javier) might more than make up for it. I'm really high on that 2016 draft group. Probably unrealistically so.

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this