Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Three Prospects To Watch In 2018

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

As someone who has had the daily Minor League scoreboard bookmarked in my iPhone for 5+ years, I have to say, last year was the year i used it the least. 2-3 years ago I was constantly checking out all of our prime prospects. And it seemed like there were guys at every level. And a bunch of position players that I wanted to track daily.

Last year (especially before the draft) was pretty boring. The pool had diminished, a lot of the guys worth keeping track of were hurt, many were relievers with inconsistent schedules, and most of the remaining guys were starting pitchers that only needed to be checked in on once a week.

I'm looking forward to a new year of checking the MiLB Twins scoreboard multiple times per day.

Edited by amjgt, 04 January 2018 - 10:27 AM.

• birdwatcher and caninatl04 like this

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

I'm going to watch three longshot lefthanders, Jovani Moran, Bryan Sammons, and Ryley Widell. They all put up good strikeout numbers at Elizabethton in 2017, after being picked in the 7th and 8th rounds in the last several drafts, and lord knows we could use someone like these guys to break out and become legit prospects. Widell walked too many last year, but hopefully that's just a matter of harnessing his stuff.

• birdwatcher, beckmt, Dman and 2 others like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#23 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

Palacios. Or any of the shortstops.
  • dbminn likes this

#24 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Rooker, Enlow, Thorpe...all 3 will be fast risers. Rooker and Thorpe will debut in 2019. Enlow maybe 2021. I do believe Rooker has about a 5% chance of getting a cup of joe in September if he mashes in AA this year. Can't wait to see that kid play!
  • mikelink45 and DocBauer like this

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Rooker, Enlow, Thorpe...all 3 will be fast risers. Rooker and Thorpe will debut in 2019. Enlow maybe 2021. I do believe Rooker has about a 5% chance of getting a cup of joe in September if he mashes in AA this year. Can't wait to see that kid play!

Blyleven and his curve ball made his debut as an 18 year old.OK, that was a different time.But is it unreasonable to believe that Enlow could rocket thru the system next year all the way to AA.He could then begin 2019 in AA before moving up to AAA and the Twins in August, 2019.I can dream, can't I?

• birdwatcher, beckmt, TNTwinsFan and 3 others like this

#26 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

I love this addition to the most valuable assets.I have no real basis for making a choice here.I look at the picture of Graterol (I assume that is him) and he looks a lot older than the years listed.Is that accurate?

I think Lewis and Rooker caught my attention the most this last year and I am like others in wanting to see some pitchers come out of our minor league system.I still hope Gonsalves is in the rotation this year. 

#27 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

I look at the picture of Graterol (I assume that is him) and he looks a lot older than the years listed.Is that accurate?

Fairly certain that's Thorpe...but he still does look older in that photo than someone who just turned 22 in late November. Must be all the vegemite.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

They have so many guys worth watching now... and that's pretty awesome. Offhand:

Tyler and Lachlan Wells, Jose Miranda, Akil Badoo, Wander Javier, Luis Arraez, Jermaine Palacios, Blankenhorn, etc... lots of young guys (who if they figure it out), will have high ceilings.

• birdwatcher likes this

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

Very excited to follow Pearson. I predict we'll look back in a few years and be talking about the steal we got.
  • Dman likes this

#30 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:22 PM

Would you believe I’m still hoping that Kohl Stewart and Tyler Jay become great?

Also, it would be great if Lewin Diaz demonstrates his predicted power.
  • birdwatcher, clutterheart and howieramone2 like this

#31 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

There are honestly too many choices to list! Burn it hard pressed, my top 3 are probably:

1] Gonsalves: I think he's the real deal. Will take some lumps.
2] Thorpe: Just how good can he be fully healthy and back?
3] Rooker: His bat looks legit. How quickly can he adapt and climb?

My dark horse is Stewart. Left unprotected and undrafted, still young and with a big arm, is this the year where it suddenly comes together?
  • MN_ExPat likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#32 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

Agree that there’s a ton to watch this year. Some will take a step back but others could really break out and it will be a lot of fun to see

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:21 AM

Blyleven and his curve ball made his debut as an 18 year old.OK, that was a different time.But is it unreasonable to believe that Enlow could rocket thru the system next year all the way to AA.He could then begin 2019 in AA before moving up to AAA and the Twins in August, 2019.I can dream, can't I?

I like Enlow, but that is insanely aggressive... especially considering he's likely to start in EST and play in the Appy league this summer. He might taste Cedar Rapids if things go well, but I don't see him making it to FTM or Chatty this year.

#34 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

There are honestly too many choices to list! Burn it hard pressed, my top 3 are probably:

1] Gonsalves: I think he's the real deal. Will take some lumps.
2] Thorpe: Just how good can he be fully healthy and back?
3] Rooker: His bat looks legit. How quickly can he adapt and climb?

My dark horse is Stewart. Left unprotected and undrafted, still young and with a big arm, is this the year where it suddenly comes together?

I like your choices except for the Dark Horse.I am pretty low on Stewart after 2017.The guy can't get anyone out.I wouldn't necessarily give up on him in AAA but he has A TON to prove in 2017 to get himself back on the prospects radar and i'm not confident he has it in him to do it.  

#35 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

I'm eager to see if Rooker can sustain the hype and hope at the next level. Very intriguing power. But the player that I'm most excited about, only from reading about him, is Akil Badoo. Hey, all of a sudden there are a LOT of very good prospects in the Twins system to get excited about!

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and USNMCPO like this

#36 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

One of the things I keep thinking about is how few of our top prospects turned in disappointing performances last year, injury cases excepted. It really was an exceptional year in that regard. Was it luck? If it's a reflection of talent alone, we're going to be getting increasingly excited about the combined talent in the system and on the big club.

I mean, I can remember years when, looking back on the season, half or more of the prospects on Seth's list had at best rather listless performances.

Maybe it's just me, but this talent pool, while maybe lacking that one more prospect who projects to be a perennial All Star, is full of high-ceiling talent.

A decade ago, the OF/1B prospects on Seth's list were, in order, Ben Revere, Joe Benson, Chris Parmelee, Jason Pridie, Erik Lis, Brock Peterson, David Winfield, and Dustin Martin. 

I like today's alternatives strictly on the basis of their better tools alone: Alex Kiriloff, Brent Rooker, Akil Badoo, Lewin Diaz, LaMonte Wade, Jacob Pearson, Zack Granite, and Aaron Whitefeild.

On the basis of really fun names, 2018 is the clear winner.

#37 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

Twins could have a top 5 farm system by midyear.Lots to look forward to this year.

#38 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Rooker, Enlow and Baadoo are the three I will be watching closely.

#39 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

Rooker, Enlow and Baadoo are the three I will be watching closely.

Twins could have a top 5 farm system by midyear.Lots to look forward to this year.

Yeah for sure.  A ton of young prospects too.  The Cedar Rapids team could be stacked with prospects early in the season.  Few guys I think could end up there:

1) Baddoo
2) Enlow
3) Lewis (perhaps, to start the year at least)
4) Javiar
5) Kiriloff
6) Graterol
7) Miranda
8) Bechtold
9) Jovani Moran
10) Leach (perhaps, late in year)

#40 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

Twins could have a top 5 farm system by midyear. Lots to look forward to this year.

This is possible, but woild probably require Javier to really emerge as an elite bat, as well as Lewis.

They do have depth of potentially solid propsects but the system is light in elite (or even potentially elite) guys.
Papers...business papers.