Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

PFF rankings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,158 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

I saw this during the Saturday night game against the Packers. The players were ranked by something called pro football focus and the announcers talked a lot about how Harrison Smith was the #1 safety. But the rankings for other guys - Xavier Rhodes was something like 29 out of 90+ corners, Kendricks was 50ish out of 100 or so linebackers - seemed low to me but I don't obsess about football that much. Can someone explain why their rankings are lower than what I would have assumed. If I'm understanding the rankings, about every team has a corner as good as Rhodes while I thought he was having a pretty good year.

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,497 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Rankings from PFF can be preposterous at times. It's not quantitative scoring. Instead it's qualitative. So they're grading a player higher because the WR caught a 10 yard pass for a first down with 1:30 left in the game.

As far as the low grade for Rhodes, I couldn't tell you. He's elite in my eye and shuts down every opponent's #1 WR.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,194 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

They are still very much working out the details. Rhodes has few peers in all of football, he should be top 5.