Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: On Miguel Sano, Al Franken and Believing in Heroes

miguel sano betsy bissen al franken griffin jax
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

[quote name="djvang" timestamp="1514668802"]

And I have never looked at modern politicians as heroes. [/quote]

[quote name="djvang" timestamp="1514668802"]

Who are the non-modern politicians you think are heroes? Lincoln was pretty dang racist and had only a casual relationship with the constitution. Washington owned slaves. Fdr was a philanderer and had troublesome race issues.

Not sure you need the modern qualifier.

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

Who are the non-modern politicians you think are heroes? Lincoln was pretty dang racist and had only a casual relationship with the constitution. Washington owned slaves. Fdr was a philanderer and had troublesome race issues.

Not sure you need the modern qualifier.

On the aggregate, politicians today are the most moral our country has ever had. I doubt it's even close. We tend to focus much of our energy on the high profile exceptions (*cough* President *cough*).
Papers...business papers.

#23 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

On the aggregate, politicians today are the most moral our country has ever had. I doubt it's even close. We tend to focus much of our energy on the high profile exceptions (*cough* President *cough*).

Sure Washington had slaves. You can only be a man of your times. If he had been an abolitionist during that era he probably never would have advanced to lead the Revolutionary army......country wasn’t ready at that time. And in my study of history his bravery and sacrifice was remarkable.
  • SgtSchmidt11 likes this

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

Sure Washington had slaves. You can only be a man of your times. If he had been an abolitionist during that era he probably never would have advanced to lead the Revolutionary army......country wasn’t ready at that time. And in my study of history his bravery and sacrifice was remarkable.

I was talking in the aggregate, not individuals. I don't fault Washington for having slaves.

Lots of rape, affairs, violence (as in murder), financial shenanigans, dirty campaigns, etc.

I suppose my comment was more a statement on societal progress overall than a criticism of earlier politicians.
  • peterb18 likes this
Papers...business papers.

#25 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

I don't know. I saw on like six news sites the story of the ballplayer that donated the mansion recently. We see stories about koskie all the time. And morneau. I think we hear positive stories a lot. They aren't reported the same way, agreed.

Check out the comments on ESPN about Hamels, when an athletes give, people talk about how they are doing it for tax breaks and not for good.

#26 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

My first sports heroes...

1.) Claudell Washington - cocaine suspension.

2.) Kirby Puckett - 

3.) Chuck Knoblauch...

Age + luck:

1. Rod Carew

2. Alan Page

3. Fran Tarkenton

4. Chuck Foreman

#27 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

1) it was much easier to maintain the look of a hero in the days before camera phones and social media.

The first name that came to mind was Mickey Mantle.Then I saw your screen name.

I'd say it was much easier to maintain the look of a hero before Ball Four by Jim Bouton.That was the first book to really pull back the curtain on baseball players, and after that the audience would never accept the staged account.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,850 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Was there ever anything that came out about Jackie Robinson that would tarnish his status as a hero?

Trust everybody ... then cut the cards.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, betsy bissen, al franken, griffin jax