Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Photographer Accuses Miguel Sano Of Assault

miguel sano betsy bissen trevor plouffe trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

Im not buying this either. I can see a scenario where Sano playfully grabbed her wrist and let go when she pulled back. She may have felt pain but from what I can tell is that is too public of a place to scream for what seems like 10 minutes to go unheard....and unheaded...

In her statement, she says she screamed- singular. As far as I can tell, she never claims, or implies that she screamed continuously for 10 minutes.

#22 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

OK, I just read something that I have to respond to.She claims "I didn’t expect it to go viral".what a crock of horse manure.And it also claims Nick Nelson knew of this months ago.I've lost all respect for him.He was told of a crime and didn't report it to the police.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,448 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

OK, I just read something that I have to respond to.She claims "I didn’t expect it to go viral".what a crock of horse manure.And it also claims Nick Nelson knew of this months ago.I've lost all respect for him.He was told of a crime and didn't report it to the police.

And what exactly was Nick supposed to do about it? You realize that the police would do nothing about it, right? It didn't happen to Nick. He wasn't there.

Nevermind that it's not Nick's place to go around reporting things he was told in confidence.

• Steve Lein, lecroy24fan, bteichr and 6 others like this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

OK, I just read something that I have to respond to. She claims "I didn’t expect it to go viral". what a crock of horse manure. And it also claims Nick Nelson knew of this months ago. I've lost all respect for him. He was told of a crime and didn't report it to the police.

Have you considered that the accuser might have asked Nick, and others that she told, to keep it private until she was ready to come forward?
  • Steve Lein, lecroy24fan, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#25 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

So the real question is did she recently get let go by the Twins? It just seems shady when stories pop up after things that happened over 2 years ago. I am not saying that nothing happened, it looks bad when people don't come forward right away. For all we know she could have gone to the Twins or Sano asking for hush money to make it go away. If that was the case wouldn't it be called extortion?

Not being a woman I cannot know how one would think. If anyone did something wrong to me I would report it ASAP and would not care if it caused me to be fired.

She did not work for the Twins. She would be a credentialed photographer for TD when she was in the target field photo well.

That's great if that's how you would react, but that's not how everyone reacts. Plus it is already harder for women to get respect in jobs, without this kind of stuff. She wanted to continue doing what she loved and feared she would lose that if she spoke up. A lot of people feel this way, even men.
  • bteichr likes this

#26 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

And what exactly was Nick supposed to do about it? You realize that the police would do nothing about it, right? It didn't happen to Nick. He wasn't there.

Nevermind that it's not Nick's place to go around reporting things he was told in confidence.

So, if you learn of information about a crime you believe to be true, you just ignore it?

#27 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

When she told Nick, she came forward. If its a serious offense, someone needs to stand up.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

So, if you learn of information about a crime you believe to be true, you just ignore it?

It depends on the context. In this case, he's learning it first hand from the accuser- and was likely asked not to share it.
There are other contexts where it would be appropriate to go to the authorities.
  • NoCryingInBaseball and nytwinsfan like this

#29 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

So,from what I gather, every one of the "staff" here at Twins Daily has known this for months, correct? A quote from an article: Nick Nelson "I speak for the entire Twins Daily ownership group in saying we believe her story".How can he speak for everyone unless everyone knew it?

#30 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Due to the gravity of the accusation, if you have never met Sano or the accuser (like me), it is probably best to sit on the sidelines and not offer up an opinion based on who you believe.

And I really hope we all stop questioning why women don't come forward sooner. Their are literally a million reasons why they are hesitant to do so and all of them are legitimate reasons. That is a terrible spot to be in, if true, to no fault of her own. Let's not make their life more difficult. They really don't need it.
  • ThejacKmp, h2oface, TheLeviathan and 6 others like this

#31 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

I do believe that all talk about this on this site should end pending what is going on here.

• Thrylos and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#32 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

Apparently there were 2 "witnesses".Should be easy to collaborate their stories with hers so the police could press charges, no?

#33 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

Personally, I think the debate on is she telling the truth or is she lying is pointless.

Unfortunately, going pubic with the allegations makes everyone think they should make a decision, pick a side.
Yes, the allegations can be made public, but as an employer my thought be, please, give us a period to begin investigating and handle this, with the accuser, appropriately. To bring it to him in an appropriate way and ensure the truth comes out before it becomes a giant storm with the media and the public making wild assumptions and allegations and conclusions. It really comes from a position of wanting to aid the assaulted.
So what bothers me, isn't is this the truth or not, it's the way it was announced. Did no one in whom she confided advise her and offer to assist her in going through the appropriate channels, be it the Twins, MLB, or her employer?
I have had to deal with harassment in my work. It was not fun but it certainly was nothing like what happened here; I still think it about and have to deal with it and I can sympathize with her. Bringing it up to the attention of multiple senior managers was extremely worrisome, but it was necessary in my opinion to bring about a resolution and to bring peace of mind.

Unfortunately, I imagine that making a public announcement has likely brought a great deal of turmoil to her life. 

• Don Walcott likes this

#34 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

This is asinine.It isn't his story to tell.You have no clue what she said to others nor what their response to her was.

I'm shocked TD is letting this crap fest go on right now

• nytwinsfan and HitInAPinch like this

#35 MangLitch

MangLitch

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

Odd debate here. I’m not mr. morality and won’t claim to have made all the best decisions in my life but I know one thing stays true 99.99% of the time, speculation on this stuff usually makes idiots out of everyone. I have found myself to never be wrong when I just let the facts come out before I say things that may look very bad and me way of another.

If Miguel did this, he’s gone in my eyes. If she is lying, that is too bad for all people this really happens too. But to debate this really puts a bad look for people on this board. You will never look good for debating this subject
  • Carole Keller, Winston Smith, h2oface and 4 others like this

#36 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

So,from what I gather, every one of the "staff" here at Twins Daily has known this for months, correct? A quote from an article: Nick Nelson "I speak for the entire Twins Daily ownership group in saying we believe her story".How can he speak for everyone unless everyone knew it?

I'm sure not everyone knew about it, but the fact that someone here did but carried on as if everything were normal is unsettling to me. I really hope this was kept quiet at her request.

#37 T_J

T_J

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

First of all, the police will not investigate this unless she goes to them. It is her right, as the alleged victim, to not come forward to them. Second, the prosecution will not charge him unless the police investigate the information. If she is not willing to face her accuser at trial, they will not force her to. If she is unwilling to do that, they will not waste resources on an investigation. Third, we're not even talking about possible activities that reach a felony level (maybe false imprisonment would but would be difficult to prove) so the amount of resources would be minimal anyways.

Enough about that...

Rob Plummer, Sano's former agent, has stated he wasn't witness to these events to ESPN. He wasn't sworn in and subject to perjury or anything but he did a ton for Sano. He got him a large signing bonus, a movie deal and got him to the majors. In return, he got fired. I'm not him but if I was, I wouldn't be compelled to lie here - I would be compelled to tell the truth though.

If TD was made aware of this long ago, I respect their decision to withhold that information at the possible victims request. As friends and coworkers, she had an expectation of privacy and desecration in this instance. I assume she brought this information about as that and not as a story to be posted on the front page of a Minnesota Twins blog site. If she came for help and advise but was dissuaded because TD was worried about recourse form the Twins, I will never click this site again. Small as this site might be, it has loud fans. If the Twins would have refused further collaboration because you assisted a possible victim, we would've been there for you guys.

To me, her story doesn't add up but I have had female friends share similar information with me... way too often actually... and I believe them when they tell me something like this. I do not rush to the nearest police station or newspaper. I ask if they want me to do some hoodrat ****. Most of the time they just want someone to listen. Sometimes I get to do hoodrat ****.
  • Brock Beauchamp and bunsen82 like this

#38 Miles Tones

Miles Tones

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

I don't know Betsy. I don't know Sano. No skin in the game, as they say. I do have a wife and three daughters, all of which have been assaulted and/or raped. None reported the incidents, due to fear of repercussion. It takes guts for someone to stand up and say "this happened to me". The pain and anguish is quite real for the victims and those close to them. It's not surprising these incidents are grossly underreported. The victims are vilified for something horrible that happened to them. What exactly does Betsy gain from this, other than promoting awareness? She said she's not looking for money or anything else. She probably doesn't want to arbitrarily damage her favorite team by accusing a key player of a crime. So what does she gain? The people that immediately defend Sano have yet to answer that question. It's sickening how sexual assaults and abuse are so willingly tolerated and defended.
  • Brock Beauchamp, Carole Keller, lecroy24fan and 10 others like this

#39 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

I am saying this one thing and then shutting down for a while from this site to cool off. But if Nick knew about it and did nothing, that makes him an accompliss and a coward. Like I said earlier i dont know anyone involved but i dont come here to deal with this type of stuff. I come because its a simpler happier place to be....

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

I am saying this one thing and then shutting down for a while from this site to cool off. But if Nick knew about it and did nothing, that makes him an accompliss and a coward. Like I said earlier i dont know anyone involved but i dont come here to deal with this type of stuff. I come because its a simpler happier place to be....

Well that's just factually incorrect. That's not even close to what it means to be accomplice to a crime.

What exactly was Nick supposed to do? If he goes to the police and says his friend told him she was assaulted 2 years ago, they are going to say, "okay, tell your friend to come file a report. Until she does, there is zero we can or will do. "
What did that accomplish? Destroying a friend's trust for absolutely no gain whatsoever.
I hope, for their sake, a friend of yours never confides anything personal and private to you.
  • lecroy24fan, Twins33, ThejacKmp and 6 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, betsy bissen, trevor plouffe, trevor may