Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: What Happens if the Twins Can't Sign Yu Darvish?

brian dozier joe mauer ervin santana eduardo escobar yu darvish
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:41 AM

From 2013-2016 Tillman was very valuable. He averaged 32 starts a year with a solid 4 year ERA in an AL hitter’s park. I would imagine if he hit free agency a year ago he would be seeking 20 million a year for 4-5 years. Given his age, he would have ranked above Lynn and Cobb.

One shoulder injury later and he is looking for a make good one year deal. Someone will give him a shot. I hope it works out for him. His poorly timed injury cost him tens of millions.

From the Twins perspective an incentive laden one year deal would make sense whether or not the sign Darvish. If I were his agent I would advise he go to a team like the Padres, White Sox or Royals who might be more patient early in the season. They would then hope for a good first half to flip him at the deadline.

Tillman seems to be like the pitcher acquired to round out the rotation after signing Darvish because your tapped out and don’t trust both Mejia and Gibson.
  • Oxtung likes this

#102 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,605 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Tillman seems to be like the pitcher acquired to round out the rotation after signing Darvish because your tapped out and don’t trust both Mejia and Gibson.

I trust both Mejia and Gibson more than I trust Tillman, which is not saying a lot. A Tillman signing would be merely the embodiment of the saying that there's no such thing as a bad one-year contract - on the 25% chance that he bounces back to what he once was. Except, that it would take up a 40-man spot and (I assume) a 25-man spot, both of which are currently kind of full. And the ceiling for Tillman hasn't been very high for a long time, unless you're a team with a sturdy bullpen because even his best years lately have been of the "six inning pitcher" variety.

• Sconnie likes this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#103 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

Tillman looks like the kind of guy who could end up having a nice 2nd career out of the pen. 

But he's going to get another shot at starting this year, and the Twins already have a half dozen guys who should be fighting for the 5th spot. So maybe next year if he understands going in that he's destined for the pen?

#104 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

Of course it would. I’m guessing that perhaps the FO wants to see what they have currently first. Are there 5 starters among the current ML, AAA and AA squads? If the team is competitive and needs a starter, I could see a mid- season trade.
I guess I’m just suspicious of the Pohlads and whether there is money to sign a front line starter for 2018.

In the cold and snow of Maine, I've had time to think deeply and seriously about Twins pitching.#SAD!!!But to be serious, to me there is just one question for the front office this summer:How do you evaluate your top five minor league pitchers.If the answer is three or more will be on the Twins by 2019, then don't pursue any free agent starters.If only two are certain to make the Twins, go after Darvish/Arrietta (who ever the value as the top free agent).If you think one or none will make it, then forget the top guys and go after two or three next level free agents.

• caninatl04 likes this

#105 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

The title of this thread should be "What happens WHEN the Twins can't sign Yu Darvish"

• caninatl04 likes this

#106 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

Does ANYONE have ANY information on when Darvish might make his decision? I believe that things will move quickly for some of the names mentioned above once Darvish decides.

#107 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Does ANYONE have ANY information on when Darvish might make his decision?

If Darvish makes his decision while in Japan, and then crosses the International Date Line, we might find out yesterday!
  • Carole Keller, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

#108 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

If the Twins cannot sign Darvish, I would ignore the next level (Jake Arrieta, Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn) as all three would mean losing a second round draft pick. 

I'd set my sights on Jason Vargas. A lefty, with the Royals last year, he won 18 games, even though his ERA was above 4.00.  The Royals paid him $32 m over 4 years; entering his age 35 season, we could get him maybe for three years for $18 m?

Not as big a splash as landing Darvish, but it would help. The Twins should want a top pitcher like Darvish, but if they cannot land him, they should keep looking. There are other good fish in the MLB sea.

i think losing the pick for Lynn would be an okay tradeoff.Cobb meh not so much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, joe mauer, ervin santana, eduardo escobar, yu darvish