Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Current movies other than Star Wars

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

Who has seen what?

I’m still hoping to catch Three Billboards and Lady Bird. And then there’s a whole bunch of new ones on my list.

But I did see The Greatest Showman last night. LOVED it, through and through. LOVED it.
  • USAFChief, glunn, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#2 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• Members
  • 8,655 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Missed this in the theatre; so waiting for the digital release in a couple of weeks.

"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#3 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Who has seen what?

I’m still hoping to catch Three Billboards and Lady Bird. And then there’s a whole bunch of new ones on my list.

But I did see The Greatest Showman last night. LOVED it, through and through. LOVED it.

I also saw The Greateat Showman and, like you, I loved it.

The Darkest Hour is next on my list. Hope it is better than Dunkirk which so many seemed to love and which I found a boring mess.

Edited by jimmer, 27 December 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

I saw and liked “Three Billboards” a lot. GF, not nearly as impressed. I intend to see the Churchill flick soon.

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

Good to know about the Greatest Showman. My family's going to the movies this weekend and we're deciding between that and Three Billboards.

Edited by Vanimal46, 27 December 2017 - 10:11 PM.

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:14 PM

If you don't mind venturing off to Netflix movies for a hot minute... If "Bright" with Will Smith pops up on your list, do yourself a favor and skip it. We had to turn it off after 30 minutes it was that bad.

#7 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

If you don't mind venturing off to Netflix movies for a hot minute... If "Bright" with Will Smith pops up on your list, do yourself a favor and skip it. We had to turn it off after 30 minutes it was that bad.

Mike gave a similar review on FB.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#8 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

Missed this in the theatre; so waiting for the digital release in a couple of weeks.

Heard it’s awesome.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#9 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

Going to see ‘All the Money in the World’ today about the J Paul Getty’s grandson being kidnapped and him not agreeing to pay the ransom. With Christopher Plummer, Michelle Williams (who was also in Greatest Showman) and Mark Wahlberg.

#10 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

I was going to say the same. The premise was fun, but the execution was absolutely awful. How in earth did Will Smith get talked into this movie?
Do or do not. There is no try.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

The Big Sick, on Neflix, is really quite good.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,801 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

Saw “Three Billboards” and absolutely LOVED it. Best I’ve seen in a while. Great script, great acting.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

I was going to say the same. The premise was fun, but the execution was absolutely awful. How in earth did Will Smith get talked into this movie?

Money talks... And it's been a long time since I remember him being in a blockbuster movie.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

More than 11 million people have streamed bright so far.... Or maybe it had been streamed that many times. Either way,a lot of people are watching

Edited by Mike Sixel, 29 December 2017 - 01:50 PM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#15 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

Saw ‘All the Money in the World’ today. Very well done. Not sure it’s an Oscar-worthy movie, but it was well done and entertaining. But Christopher Plummer’s performance is Oscar-worthy. And considering he was a very last-minute replacement ... spectacular.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:17 PM

Saw ‘All the Money in the World’ today. Very well done. Not sure it’s an Oscar-worthy movie, but it was well done and entertaining. But Christopher Plummer’s performance is Oscar-worthy. And considering he was a very last-minute replacement ... spectacular.

I've heard that this movie is really good, even more so by the last minute replacement.

Ridley Scott and Martin Scorsese are basically my gods. Not only because they make good films but that they have the ability to keep their finger on what makes good entertainment well into their 70s.

Ridley Scott just turned 80 years old, for ****'s sake. And Martin Scorsese made his first "kid's film" in his late 60s. It's amazing.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#17 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,268 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:35 AM

"Mollie's Game" was really good -- Aaron Sorkin wrote and directed, and the story and dialog are both strong. 

I also enjoyed "Hostiles", which involves a physical and psychological journey about inhumanity and redemption.

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Just saw previews for "The Post" with Tom Hanks. Definitely on the list of movies to see.
  • USAFChief likes this

#19 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,704 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

Just saw previews for "The Post" with Tom Hanks. Definitely on the list of movies to see.

What about for someone who voted for Nixon?

• nicksaviking likes this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#20 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,801 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

What about for someone who voted for Nixon?

There’s nobody here old enough.
  • ashbury and nicksaviking like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.