Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Diving Into The Offseason: An Eduardo Escobar Extension?

eduardo escobar brian dozier byron buxton miguel sano jose berrios
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Escobar stepped up ... up to average.

The Twins have him under contract for 3 more years. Let it roll.

Escobar is a FA after 2018.
  • jsteve96 likes this

#22 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

I agree with a couple of other posters on here that 4.5 million would not be enough. I feel like 2/12 would be more fair,  and I would still do that as the Twins. If they don't extend Dozier and they trade Gordon for pitching, we will need a 2B for 2019 and possibly 2020. That would fit Escobar really well.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#23 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,510 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

I agree, pay the man, he's valuable.Especially if Sano is extended, then you have to extend Esco, as who knows where Sano's head will be.

he gone!

#24 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

If Esco wants to stay in Minnesota, I think they'll make this happen.Possibly not this offseason though.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

I like the idea of an Escobar extension. Not only is he a pretty good player, but giving him an extension makes any and all future plans regarding resigning, trading or extending Dozier, Polanco, Gordon and even Sano very, very flexible, and he wouldn't be so expensive that if he ended up as a bench bat that it would ever be regrettable.

• Riverbrian likes this

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,917 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

Pay the Man

He's earned it

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#27 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

One way or another, this band is going to breakup

Seems like it'd really only make sense to extend Escobar if either you're going to let Dozier walk or you don't think Sano is a 3B anymore. But if that's the case, Sano probably swings over to 1B and then you're in the position of letting Mauer walk after 2018. Of course, there are also guys like Nick Gordon and Brent Rooker who we all hope will be emerging into the picture maybe even as soon as late 2018, not to mention Polanco and Adrianza.

I just don't see the Twins bringing back Dozier, Mauer and Escobar beyond 2018. Maybe two out of the three, but not all of them.

• Danchat likes this

#28 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

One way or another, this band is going to breakup

Seems like it'd really only make sense to extend Escobar if either you're going to let Dozier walk or you don't think Sano is a 3B anymore. But if that's the case, Sano probably swings over to 1B and then you're in the position of letting Mauer walk after 2018. Of course, there are also guys like Nick Gordon and Brent Rooker who we all hope will be emerging into the picture maybe even as soon as late 2018, not to mention Polanco and Adrianza.

I just don't see the Twins bringing back Dozier, Mauer and Escobar beyond 2018. Maybe two out of the three, but not all of them.

Been nice knowin ya, Mauer.......

#29 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

Rooker has played 40 games in A+ ball.Not a minute in AA ball.We really think the Twins are going to bring him up next year?

• Dman likes this

#30 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

I think one of Esco's most valuable traits is that he's comfortable being a utility player, and doesn't take being on the bench personally. He's generally performed well in a limited role, which is really hard to do.

But I'm not sure h'es the best use of the Twins' budget long term. In theory, new prospects can push for that role and hopefully perform at least to league average.

#31 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

I think one of Esco's most valuable traits is that he's comfortable being a utility player, and doesn't take being on the bench personally. He's generally performed well in a limited role, which is really hard to do.

The Twins have a couple of competent bench players who are comfortable in the role. Let's trade one off and get a player who can yield a boomstick. 

#32 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,199 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

But I'm not sure h'es the best use of the Twins' budget long term. In theory, new prospects can push for that role and hopefully perform at least to league average.

If that happens, he can be moved. You might not get a lot in trade for him, but unless you think Esco will get worse, his contract would be market-correct and you could get some other team to take him off your hands, with a C-level prospect in return as the fig-leaf. Meantime, you have him to cover your present needs.

New prospects pushing their way to the majors - that is generally a good problem to have. But you can't count those chickens until they actually finish hatching.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

You can't take it with you. So don't go.

#33 brightside

brightside

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

With the Sano off field issues, it would appear as though Escobar will be getting some solid playing time at 3rd base this year. I think the idea was to start Sano mostly at DH to let him heal, but now he might be getting some forced time off to rehab. 

Escobar brings club house chemistry to the team, solid defense, and some pop off the bench.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#34 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

The Twins are getting fantastic value out of Escobar. He was such a great return for a few months of Liriano. I wouldn’t offer a significant extension though. I would seek the next player to fill that role. It could be Adrianza.

#35 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,564 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:59 AM

Escobar stepped up ... up to average.

The Twins have him under contract for 3 more years. Let it roll.

Nope, 2018 is his last arbitration season

http://www.spotrac.c...o-escobar-8500/

#36 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,564 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:26 AM

The Twins are getting fantastic value out of Escobar. He was such a great return for a few months of Liriano. I wouldn’t offer a significant extension though. I would seek the next player to fill that role. It could be Adrianza.

if i could get the right price (cheap relatively) I’d extend Escobar up to 3 years. He was basically league average 3rd base last year, plays an acceptable second, and can fake it in a pinch at SS. There isn’t a clear succession plan at 3rd and lots of uncertainty with Dozier, Mauer and Sano. There value with league average durability if the price is right.

#37 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

if i could get the right price (cheap relatively) I’d extend Escobar up to 3 years. He was basically league average 3rd base last year, plays an acceptable second, and can fake it in a pinch at SS. There isn’t a clear succession plan at 3rd and lots of uncertainty with Dozier, Mauer and Sano. There value with league average durability if the price is right.

I don’t think league average ages 25-28 projects to league average ages 30-32.
  • Sconnie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eduardo escobar, brian dozier, byron buxton, miguel sano, jose berrios