Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Catch rule

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,730 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:10 PM

I'm amazed at how dumb that rule is and that they still haven't fixed it.

Two feet, knee, elbow, break the plane and incomplete.
Papers...business papers.

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,730 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

Good column here:
http://www.espn.com/...-call-was-right

I don't buy either reason for keeping as is, and actually think more fumbles is a reason to change it!

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

I was pretty sure that would be incomplete, assuming you mean the Pittsburgh play. He should have secured it better. That said, I think it was a catch. He had already established control.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,730 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

I was pretty sure that would be incomplete, assuming you mean the Pittsburgh play. He should have secured it better. That said, I think it was a catch. He had already established control.

It was absolutely called correctly, no argument about that.

I think it is a baffling rule.

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,362 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Right call, terrible rule.Runners can get the nose across and fumble - receivers need to take the ball home with them for a week like one of those practice babies in high school without dropping it before it's a TD.

One or the other needs to change.

• diehardtwinsfan, gil4, Circus Boy and 2 others like this

#6 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:30 PM

It was absolutely called correctly, no argument about that.

Right call

I disagree completely. I think it's quite clearly the opposite. 

How has it gotten so corrupted? no idea.

But, go back and parse the rule, and tell me what you think.  

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,898 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

Here's a take that didn't like the application of the rule:

https://www.sbnation...eelers-patriots

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

This rule will be addressed and changed in the off-season for sure. As Levi said (welcome back btw!) there's a huge difference between rushing into the end zone vs. catching the ball in the end zone. It's ridiculous and provides zero benefit for the fans or the game.

#9 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

They way I see it, the only way to overturn that call is that they are saying when his body comes down on the ball (at the very end of the play) he loses control a 2nd time. The first time there is not indisputable evidence that that the ball is on the ground.

IMO, when the overturn a call like that they should take the exact frame they used for indisputable evidence and display it, That is CYA for the NFL and officials.

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

Right call, terrible rule. Runners can get the nose across and fumble - receivers need to take the ball home with them for a week like one of those practice babies in high school without dropping it before it's a TD.

One or the other needs to change.

2 perfect examples last week against Carolina. I believe it was Stewart for Carolina that did a goal line leap, barely got the ball over the plane before it was punched out of his hands - Touchdown.

Adam Thielen catches the ball, knee down, elbow hits the turf, loses control of the ball for 0.5 seconds before resecuring it on his chest - incomplete pass.

#11 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

2 perfect examples last week against Carolina. I believe it was Stewart for Carolina that did a goal line leap, barely got the ball over the plane before it was punched out of his hands - Touchdown.

Adam Thielen catches the ball, knee down, elbow hits the turf, loses control of the ball for 0.5 seconds before resecuring it on his chest - incomplete pass.

Didn't Thielen end up out of bounds? if he doesn't go out of bounds that is a catch.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,898 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Didn't Thielen end up out of bounds? if he doesn't go out of bounds that is a catch.

Correct. Ball never hit the ground there.

#13 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

There was another on in a recent game - possibly Bears-Lions - that I didn't understand why it was incomplete.The receiver bobbled the pass but re-caught it as it was falling.The point of the ball brushed the ground as he held it securely.He then fell over on his side, and as he hit the ground the ball might have shifted in his hand a little before he re-secured it, but he was inbounds and the only time the ball touched the ground was that part when it was fully in his control.The call on the field was incomplete, and the replay came back as confirmed (not stands.) 

There were two issues - the brush of the ground and the shift in his hands.Either one would have allowed for a good catch, but put the two together and it's incomplete.I'm not sure I understood that.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,362 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

This rule will be addressed and changed in the off-season for sure. As Levi said (welcome back btw!) there's a huge difference between rushing into the end zone vs. catching the ball in the end zone. It's ridiculous and provides zero benefit for the fans or the game.

I'm not really back.

In any case, that's the central problem here - the rules for being eligible to score a touchdown as a runner and a receiver are just too different.  

Additionally, the rules for what constitutes a catch at the 40 yard line, suddenly go out the window in the end zone.When Adam Thielen catches a drag route and goes out of bounds, he doesn't have to maintain possession back to the huddle.Or if he turns, dives, and the ball jars loose when he hits the ground we don't call it incomplete.We call it a catch and the runner is down by contact.

What constitutes a catch shouldn't change based on whether or not you're in the end zone - secure, demonstrate security with some kind of football move, have two feet down in bounds.Then it's a catch.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 18 December 2017 - 04:03 PM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#15 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

If that exact play happens in the third quarter, and the receiver is lunging for a first down, Pittsburgh gets the first down and there's no fuss.

If that exact play happens in the third quarter, and the receiver is lunging for a first down, Pittsburgh gets the first down, and if New England challenges, New England probably loses the challenge. 

I have no idea how this got so corrupted. Only one of many things that is ruining the game of pro football.

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 18 December 2017 - 04:58 PM.

• TheLeviathan likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,898 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

Say what you will about the rule, but I think it is pretty universally enforced. It is just that you don't see receivers lunging like that at other parts of the field (the first down line is a lot harder for a receiver to guage, for example). You do see some incompletes along the sideline where the receiver doesn't maintain possession through the process of the catch.

Also, scoring plays are automatically reviewed, so the receiver's every move is going to get thoroughly analyzed around the end zone. If it happens midfield in the third quarter, it is going to come down to whether the team sees enough in a replay before the next snap, and considers it important enough to risk a timeout to challenge. Not that I care for the challenge replay system either, but I don't get the sense that officials are particularly inconsistent in these type of calls, accounting for these other factors.

Edited by spycake, 18 December 2017 - 09:52 PM.

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

I think spycake is right that the catch rule is mostly called correctly how it's written. I also think we as fans would all be happier if they eliminated "completing the process" from the rule.
  • Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,362 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Right, I don't take issue with the way it was enforced on Sunday.

What I've taken issue with how it's been written since the Calvin Johnson no-TD in Chicago.And that was a long time ago.  

(Google that and re-live the absurdity)

Edited by TheLeviathan, 19 December 2017 - 11:56 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Right, I don't take issue with the way it was enforced on Sunday.

What I've taken issue with how it's been written since the Calvin Johnson no-TD in Chicago.And that was a long time ago.  

(Google that and re-live the absurdity)

I don't want to watch that play again. Awful. And it led to this rule. 

we miss you....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#20 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

This is just another reason why baseball is superior to football. The football rules are too arbitrary and changed on a whim. Baseball is baseball and it seems most of the recent changes in baseball are for player safety (no barreling over the cathcer, no nasty slides into second base on the double play). There is an element of making it up as we go along with football rules.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this