Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Kemp

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

Would it be worth it to aquire Kemp for a C- prospect to be a DH if Los Angeles paid all but 2 or 3 million? They are rumored to release him if they cant find a trade partner and may throw in a prospect to take some money in the deal. Per mlb traderumors. I know we could use a rh bat

#2 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,679 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

No

• bdodge22, ThejacKmp, Danchat and 3 others like this

#3 Post-Concussive Blues

Post-Concussive Blues

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

Came here to post this. I think wait for them to release him. He would be a good bench bat, part time DH, and can play OF if we get really desperate.

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:33 AM

He's owed $21.5M, so no. I guess he could be an option after being cut.

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#5 Post-Concussive Blues

Post-Concussive Blues

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:35 AM

Right, he would only be the MLB minimum if he gets released.

#6 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:26 AM

Can someone explain the LA-ATL trade to me? It seems like neither team really wants any of the players and both teams are benefitting financially. I don't get it.

#7 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

Can someone explain the LA-ATL trade to me? It seems like neither team really wants any of the players and both teams are benefitting financially. I don't get it.

I might have the details wrong, but the general idea is that the Dodgers swapped ~$38M in salary in 2018 for ~$38M spread between 2018 and 2019. This allows the Dodgers to get under the luxury tax threshold this season (they have been over for years - resetting this will save them tens of millions over the next few years). Atlanta gets to save ~$19M in 2019 by moving that money forward to 2018, plus McCarthy and Culberson have some legitimate value. Atlanta probably has thoughts of being a buyer next offseason, so having Kemp's salary moved makes some sense there.

• USAFChief, ThejacKmp, beckmt and 5 others like this

#8 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

If Kemp could hit as he historically had a few years ago there would be a better price tag for his services for the owning team.As it is right now by WOBA he is an expensive version of Robbie Grossman.. Now if they wanted to trade Kemp and acouple of very good prospectsfor Hughes there could be a little more traction to this idea.. If only there was a Duensing to throw in with Hughes. Will Gibson do?

#9 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

This a slary dumps swap. Atlanta gets the services of a utility infielder for swapping bad contracts. The Dodgers by spreading the bad contract over two years get away from the Luxury tax threshold so they can add players. Even a team with a lot of money hates the high luxury tax.

• flpmagikat likes this

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,038 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

The Braves took on 51 Million of contracts that expire this year. 

The Dodgers took on Kemp who has 43 million left that is spread over two years. 

The Braves chose to take a heavier hit this year to be lined up as a potential buyer in the big FA Class next year. 

The Dodgers with the trade were able to get under the luxury tax and avoid the penalty for the 1st time in awhile and that luxury tax penalty increases for consecutive years over. 

Do the Twins want Kemp? Only after he is released and available for the minimum and even then... I'm not sure I'd want him because Grossman/Vargas may be better.  

Or as Nurse suggests... Trade Phil Hughes for Kemp but make the Dodgers throw in a very very very nice prospect or... no deal. DO YOU HEAR ME FRIEDMAN!!! 

The Twins would add 8 million a year for the next two years and In return: The Twins would get a player that has a chance of producing something for a lot of money (Kemp) instead of a player who may not produce at all (Hughes) for a lot of money and a top 100 prospect. 

The Dodgers would lose a prospect but they will cut an additional 8 million of payroll this year and next year. Tack that 8 million to the 23 million that will be coming off the books next year (Ryu, Forsythe, Arruebarrena) and the Dodgers have 31 million that could make them players for Harper and still stay under the luxury tax threshold. 

It would have to be a real nice prospect or it wouldn't be worth the Twins time or attention. 

• USAFChief and flpmagikat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,223 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

No. He wasn't all that much better than the league average DH. And he is supposedly not exactly a hard worker. Zero interest
  • Riverbrian, tarheeltwinsfan and HitInAPinch like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#12 HawkeyeDodger

HawkeyeDodger

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

The Dodgers would be thrilled to get anywhere between 25 cents to 33 cents on the dollar to move Kemp.He will never see the Dodgers locker room.He was a clubhouse cancer at the end of his run in LA and became one in SD and Atl too.His comment he made when traded to Atlanta won't sit well with a lot of Dodgers fans.He said that he was happy to finally get to play in a real baseball town. 

Matt Kemp has to decide if he just wants to remain fat and collect the last two years of his contract or get in shape, stay in shape, and adjust his attitude so he can add a couple of years to his career.The scene in Money Ball where Billy Beane reminds David Justice that the Yankees are paying him to play elsewhere is pertinent to Kemp except he has now had three teams ship him out of town and be willing to pay money for him to leave.  

I think the Dodgers would throw in a mid-level prospect or two if they could recoup some money in such a deal.As for the trade, McCarthy will contribute to Atlanta.He only makes $10 million in the final year of his deal, but there is also a team option of $5 million for 2019.Kazmir is toast.Culberson will be useful to Atlanta, but may have been stuck at AAA for the Dodgers. The deal allows the Dodgers to get re-set their luxury tax penalty, add some players at the deadline this year, and makes them players in next year's big free-agent class.Unless they flip Kemp elsewhere, I don't think it puts them back in play for Darvish.  

BTW, I was sorry to see you guys added Rodney to your staff and equally sad to see him leave the NL West.Having him at the end of games always reminded me that AZ wasn't really a contender to win it all.  

Edited by ashburyjohn, 18 December 2017 - 09:29 PM.

• gil4 likes this

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,038 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

BTW, I was sorry to see you guys added Rodney to your staff and equally sad to see him leave the NL West.Having him at the end of games always reminded me that AZ wasn't really a contender to win it all.  

Ouch

Punch%20Friends%20Bubblewrap.gif

• 70charger and HitInAPinch like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#14 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

Call me crazy, but I don't hate the idea of the Twins picking up Kemp .... "picking up" as in claiming him after the Dodgers have released him. I definitely don't think he's worth giving up good prospects for. But Kemp has been fairly productive with the Braves the past 2 years and if he was confined to a DH and/or PH role, I think he'd be a good addition. I also don't think he'd be the clubhouse cancer than some fear. From what I read last year, his attitude has gotten much better since he left the Dodgers and Padres, realizing that he needs to put forth more effort (both on and off the field)if he wants to stick around. The biggest problem with Kemp at this point is that he is injury-prone (maybe playing in the AL and keeping him out of the outfield will help?) and he's not exactly fleet of foot any longer. But the guy can still hit.

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,585 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

If this team wanted a past-his-prime vet to DH I think I'd rather give Jose Bautista a shot. Kemp's rep isn't great and his defense is even worse. Bautista isn't great but he still plays passable defense, he might be a nice player to give Kepler a breather against lefties.

• gil4 and HitInAPinch like this

#16 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

The ESPN website has that "Things I Like and Don't Like" feature, and that comment hits right there. Very insightful, very painful. But hey, maybe Rodney's control will suddenly, miraculously improve at age 41 and he will become a lights-out closer instead of a disaster waiting to happen (and maybe I'll get the unicorn I want for Christmas this year.)

Edited by gil4, 19 December 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#17 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

When Matt Kemp skyrocketed in 2011, he surprised everybody. He sustained his run long enough to get some really nice pocket change.

Can he still be good? Sure. Is he worth the salary now? Puh-lease!

He would be a good asset for a midseason trade for a team who needs him to take things to the next level in the playoffs. Otherwise, no.

The Dodgers probably took him back simply because they're already paying him $3.5M a year anyway.

Note that this is pretty much what the Twins were wanting for Dozier last year.....

Edited by Doomtints, 19 December 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#18 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

If this team wanted a past-his-prime vet to DH I think I'd rather give Jose Bautista a shot. Kemp's rep isn't great and his defense is even worse. Bautista isn't great but he still plays passable defense, he might be a nice player to give Kepler a breather against lefties.

For all the reasons posted here and mentioned over the course of Kemp's career, I'd pass on Kemp.

I like the idea of trying to sign Bautista if he's available.Maybe he can get an offensive spurt with a new team and be a good mentor for Sano?

It's not my fault !

#19 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

No-hehasbeenwithanumberofclubsandseemstobetoxicandunderperforms.Why would you want to expose our good young players to this type of "veteran" presence?

that is one mega word / run on sentence:)

Edited by laloesch, 19 December 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,585 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

For all the reasons posted here and mentioned over the course of Kemp's career, I'd pass on Kemp.

I like the idea of trying to sign Bautista if he's available.Maybe he can get an offensive spurt with a new team and be a good mentor for Sano?

Perhaps if someone points out to his agent that he's hit 14 HR at Target Field in 25 games he might get the idea that there perhaps is a chance Bautista could secure one last decent contract if he only finds a destination that provides him a shot at a rebound season.

• HitInAPinch likes this