Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Select RHP Tyler Kinley In Rule 5 Draft (Lose Burdi to Phillies, Bard to Angels)

nick burdi jake reed luke bard kohl stewart ryan eades
  • Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

I guess I wonder what distinguishes the hard-throwing reliever with questionable control they took from the one(s) they lost. First instinct is I'd rather have Bard still in the system than Kinley, but that probably has as much to do with valuing the guy I've heard of as anything.

Looking at Kinley's numbers above A+ would say that you're probably right in valuing Bard over Kinley. Aside from Ks, everything else looks really, really rough.

• mikelink45 likes this

#22 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

Cishek gone as well.

Once again, Twins slow on the draw as the reliever market started rolling.

They won't win World Series in 2018 in any event, so maybe it's about defining what that window of competitiveness means.  

Or, something.

Darvish or bust at this point.

• Dman likes this

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

I'm actually more disappointed in losing Bard. He was finally healthy, putting up big strikeout numbers in the high minors and could have been a contributor right away had he pitched like he did last year. 

Luckily both Philly and the Angels have been making fairly aggressive noise this offseason, hopefully they both are competitive this year and can't afford to waste a 25-man spot if either struggle.

This Kinley signing looks completely bizarre. His numbers look so pedestrian and his lack of success above A ball is clear. He looks like such an unnatural selection that I can make no other conclusions other than someone in the front office has some deep dive knowledge about this guy or they just picked a name out of a hat.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, Dman and 1 other like this

#24 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 488 posts

Burdi traded to Pittsburgh

#25 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,186 posts

Have to admit, I don't understand the Kinley selection rather than keeping one of our own. I know it's a flier, and he can easily be removed to make room for someone else, but it's a head scratcher to me.
  • Steve Lein and KGB like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#26 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,764 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Why are we wasting time with another Rule 5 pick? I can only hope the leash is extremely short.

I don't mind losing Burdi and Bard because odds are they'll rot on on MLB bench or get sent back to MN.
  • blindeke likes this

#27 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

Knew it was coming in reference to Burdi, which is why I would have had him in my "for sure" adds to 40-man group.

Think it's pretty easy for the Phillies or whoever to keep him given his injury status. 

The way I look at it, if Kinley is the guy the Twins selected, who would you rather have? Burdi or him? It's unequivocally Burdi if you ask me (heck, I'd rather still have Bard too). I think this is a mark in the negative column for the FO. Burdi is going to close games if he can stay healthy. That's the big question though. How healthy will he be? There was enough on his medical report for the Braves to say no on a trade for him.

Edit: Twins must have good presence in Dominican Winter League. Kinley's numbers there thus far: 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 18.0 IP, 4 H's, 8 BB, 29 K's, 0.67 WHIP.

Edited by Steve Lein, 14 December 2017 - 09:20 AM.

• birdwatcher, darin617, gunnarthor and 3 others like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Was just reading Tom's comment about Burdi being left off the roster for a reason and thought "someone left Santana off their roster for some reason also" 

Can someone explain the downside of keeping Burdi on the roster while we have 4 open spots?Why don't they always have 40 filled and then take guys off as needed rather than take 4 guys off in anticipation of acquiring 4 different guys. What is the value of having a spot available ahead of time?

Yes, please, someone explain this.

#29 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

Well, if the Bucs traded for Burdi, I think it's a lock that they'll keep him next year when he's recovering from TJ surgery. Bummer but with his injury history, I'll give the FO another pass here. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#30 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

*shrug*

I honestly couldn't say if any of these guys will eventually provide value. The Twins need more than just arms, they need dependable arms / good arms. Just having pitchers with a pulse hasn't worked out for them. I couldn't say if losing Burdi will ultimately matter....

#31 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

I guess I'll let this play out, but not impressed.  Bard and or/Burdi with the option of optioning them, or Kinley, who has to clog a spot like Haley did?

On the other hand, Bard and Kinley both get their shots--good for them.  

#32 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

Was just reading Tom's comment about Burdi being left off the roster for a reason and thought "someone left Santana off their roster for some reason also" 

Can someone explain the downside of keeping Burdi on the roster while we have 4 open spots?Why don't they always have 40 filled and then take guys off as needed rather than take 4 guys off in anticipation of acquiring 4 different guys. What is the value of having a spot available ahead of time?

It is a tremendous advantage if these borderline guys can pass through waivers.

If the Twins added Bard (for example) and later needed that 40 man spot for a signing or trade then they have to expose him to waivers and potentially lose him that way. A team claiming him off of waivers only has to keep him on the 40 man roster instead of keeping him on the 25 man roster like a Rule V draftee. Hopefully I got this mostly right. There is some terminology that gets mixed up like waivers, DFA and outright. 

If Bard sneaks through the Rule V then the Twins don't need to expose him to waivers since he was never on the 40. Huge advantage for the team.

The Twins leaving 4 spots open (2 filled now) indicates a high likelihood that the FO will be active this offseason.

• James, Dantes929, snap4birds and 1 other like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#33 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

Really hard to follow the timeline in the original post

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#34 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

So Philadelphia traded Burdi to Pittsburgh for international cap space?

Why didn't the Twins do that last week? I don't see what would have prevented them from doing so.

• USAFChief, Thrylos, Dman and 4 others like this

#35 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

Wow, color me underwhelmed.

Kinley's numbers look like absolute garbage above A+. I understand not protecting Bard, but losing Burdi and drafting what appears to be Jim Hoey 2.0 is just asinine. 

Well, his K #s certainly are NOT absolute garbage. He's consistently above 11 K/9 in the higher minor leagues (which is as good as Burdi has been the last few years).They probably think they have a shot to fix the issues with his control. If so, he could be pretty good.I'm going to be the contrarian here and say I'd rather try to fix this guy's control and see what his apparently excellent slider can do than have Burdi and his injury issues/risk.

• birdwatcher, Dman, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#36 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

So Philadelphia traded Burdi to Pittsburgh for international cap space?

Why didn't the Twins do that last week? I don't see what would have prevented them from doing so.

I don't think he could be placed on the 40-man after such a move to protect him from Rule 5.

• Seth Stohs, Twins33, KGB and 1 other like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

I just want a short leash this time. He's either worth a playoff team keeping around for sure, or cut him. He's nearly 27, it's not like he's young and has 2-3 years to figure it out.

Me?I kind of hoped they'd add major league pitching this year......

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 7 others like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#38 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

So a guy who will be 27 on opening day and has been awful above Class A ball is your pick?

Maybe he was brought in for veteran presence.

• Mike Sixel, darin617, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

#39 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Have to admit, I don't understand the Kinley selection rather than keeping one of our own. I know it's a flier, and he can easily be removed to make room for someone else, but it's a head scratcher to me.

Agree, plus now you have to keep Kinley on the roster or trade another asset to keep him. If you had put one of your pitcher on the roster, you could have moved him up or down to the majors without exposing him. Hope this selection is better than last years.

#40 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

So Bard, a first round pick in 2012 was left unprotected as was Stewart (another first round pick, 2013). Whatever happened with Michael, Harrison, Boyd, and Wimmer (some more of our first rounders since 2010)?

Edited by jimmer, 14 December 2017 - 09:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nick burdi, jake reed, luke bard, kohl stewart, ryan eades