Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Sign RHP Michael Pineda

michael pineda
  • Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#21 Lefty

Lefty

• 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Hopefully he can recover fully and contribute at some point.

• glunn likes this

#22 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• 1,750 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

Uggh, not a fan. A year after coming back from TJ is pretty risky. That's a lot of risk for $10 million that could be spent on something else next year.

• h2oface and Dman like this

#23 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

Trevor May should be back sometime in May or early June.Will it be as a starter or reliever?Using a similar timeline, Pineda could be joining the team about three months later.That would be as early as late July, but more likely late August/September.  

Both will fill in much like that big trade we always are looking for come mid-season.Love this move.

So the 40-man roster now has 3 open spots!

• sploorp likes this

#24 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,862 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

Uggh, not a fan. A year after coming back from TJ is pretty risky. That's a lot of risk for $10 million that could be spent on something else next year.

My thoughts exactly. Basically he rehabs in Minnesota in 2018 and rebuilds his value (potentially) in 2019 and then departs as a free agent for his next big contract that following off-season.The long term benefit is not there.I guess when you are absolutely desperate for pitching help and can't attract talent you have to resort to these kinds of measures. 

Perhaps the FO is seeing him as a stop gap measure.By 2019 Thorpe and Romero should be joining the rotation (assuming they stay on track and aren't traded).Hope this isn't the only move the Twins make.Mlbtraderumos has stated that the Twins have been in contact with Colon's agent which is depressing if that's all they can muster.  

Edited by laloesch, 13 December 2017 - 10:05 AM.

• glunn, mikelink45 and nytwinsfan like this

#25 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

My thoughts exactly. Basically he rehabs in Minnesota in 2018 and rebuilds his value (potentially) in 2019 and then departs as a free agent for his next big contract that following off-season.The long term benefit is not there.I guess when you are absolutely desperate for pitching help and can't attract talent to a place nobody wants to move to you have to resort to these kinds of measures.

I like the move, but these are very valid critiques. This signing is not low risk, $8mil next year is a good chunk of change! Pretty much pays for a year of the relievers that are going off the board right now. If Pineda never comes back, that money is squandered.

But I don't mind the aggression. I imagine he would go for 1/10 at least if he came back healthy next season. Lock it up now and let your doctors oversee the rehab.

• glunn and nytwinsfan like this
Papers...business papers.

#26 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,862 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Trevor May should be back sometime in May or early June.Will it be as a starter or reliever?Using a similar timeline, Pineda could be joining the team about three months later.That would be as early as late July, but more likely late August/September.  

Both will fill in much like that big trade we always are looking for come mid-season.Love this move.

So the 40-man roster now has 3 open spots!

I would hope early to mid May.He's had over a year rehabbing. 

#27 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,862 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

I like the move, but these are very valid critiques. This signing is not low risk, $8mil next year is a good chunk of change! Pretty much pays for a year of the relievers that are going off the board right now. If Pineda never comes back, that money is squandered.

But I don't mind the aggression. I imagine he would go for 1/10 at least if he came back healthy next season. Lock it up now and let your doctors oversee the rehab.

I guess i should clarify.I like the move sort of.I just wish there was an option year included to benefit the Twins potentially.Seems like the Twins are taking all the risk here.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this

#28 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,683 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Too bad they couldn't have snuck in an option year for 2020.Basically we get him for one year because he's likely spending almost all of 2018 rehabbing.

Exactly what I was thinking.Pretty sweet deal for him. Has someone pay him 2mil just for working out and then giving him more than he has ever made for the following year with the risk of not coming back as strong and even if completely healthy will have missed over a year of baseball so still risky.Club option of 8 mil for the 3rd year seems more than fair.

• glunn and BuxtonBandwagon like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#29 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 241 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

My favorite part of the move is it shows how forward thinking, how "outside the box" Falvine are thinking.If things go according to plan, 2019-2020 is when this roster should be hitting it's peak.This move could make them much better for that run.

• glunn, birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#30 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

I guess i should clarify.I like the move sort of.I just wish there was an option year included to benefit the Twins potentially.Seems like the Twins are taking all the risk here.

I assume they tried to get an option year, but I think Pineda didn't have to offer one. Someone else would have signed him without the option.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN and 70charger like this

#31 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 241 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

Maybe he can return in September and be a solid bullpen arm and then make a push for the rotation in 2019.

• glunn likes this

#32 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,880 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.Pretty sweet deal for him. Has someone pay him 2mil just for working out and then giving him more than he has ever made for the following year with the risk of not coming back as strong and even if completely healthy will have missed over a year of baseball so still risky.Club option of 8 mil for the 3rd year seems more than fair.

That sounds low for an option year. Maybe the shine is off of Pineda after several mediocre years leading up to his surgery, but he used to be viewed as a front-of-the-rotation starter.

So the deal as it is currently constructed amounts to $10M guaranteed money to the pitcher, in hopes of a $20M kind of season from him in 2019. That is not a long term contribution to our window of contention, but is better than a "stop-gap" and amounts to a Jack Morris kind of deal (different circumstances of course), where the long range plan is to have someone at that same caliber to step in, in 2020 and beyond.

But I agree, this deal shoulders most of the risk on the player's behalf, and I would have liked a team option for 2020 at, say $14M or so. If he pans out, the team wins, and even from his perspective he still collects $24M, with the ability to go for another big payday after that. If he doesn't pan out, the parties part company on good terms. Oh well. As stated above, the player wasn't open to that.

• glunn and 70charger like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#33 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

That sounds low for an option year. Maybe the shine is off of Pineda after several mediocre years leading up to his surgery, but he used to be viewed as a front-of-the-rotation starter.

So the deal as it is currently constructed amounts to $10M guaranteed money to the pitcher, in hopes of a $20M kind of season from him in 2019. That is not a long term contribution to our window of contention, but is better than a "stop-gap" and amounts to a Jack Morris kind of deal, where the long range plan is to have someone at that same caliber to step in, in 2020 and beyond.

But I agree, this deal shoulders most of the risk on the player's behalf, and I would have liked a team option for 2020 at, say $14M or so. If he pans out, the team wins, and even from his perspective he still collects $24M, with the ability to go for another big payday after that. If he doesn't pan out, the parties part company on good terms. Oh well.

I was also thinking an option like that, with a pretty high buyout, something like $4mil. Would guarantee a decent amount of the money and give the team some extra value if it pans out.

But the market is the market. People are not scared off of TJ.

• glunn likes this

#34 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,880 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

I was also thinking an option like that, with a pretty high buyout, something like $4mil. Would guarantee a decent amount of the money and give the team some extra value if it pans out.

I forgot about the idea (perhaps necessity) of a buyout, and frankly it reduces my interest in going for that. It amounts to guaranteeing him $14M, in the hope of a $20M kind of 2019 season from him and another in 2020 at the incremental cost of the option, and that's just enough more risk to tip me away. The actual deal suits me better in that case. Though, now, I'm wavering just before I click Post... :)

• glunn and gil4 like this

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,130 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

It's $8M in 2019 a year in which the Twins currently have a total of $21M committed to the books. I can think of quite a few scenarios where this signing could be a boon to the club. The only one I can think of that is a detriment is if the Twins had been planning on signing Manny Machado and Clayton Kershaw in 2019.

• glunn, 70charger, markos and 2 others like this

#36 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 476 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

Seth mentioned - "It's another creative move for the Twins brass, and it doesn't necessarily stop them from doing anything else."

If that is *really* true, then I'm fine with this role of the dice.

• glunn likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#37 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,880 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

signing Manny Machado and Clayton Kershaw in 2019.

Remember, folks, you heard it here first!
  • glunn, nicksaviking, crapforks and 1 other like this

#38 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is regressing to the mean

• 2,015 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

Though, now, I'm wavering just before I click Post... :)

I feel very strongly both ways! (Those old Lite beer commercials had some great lines.)

• ashbury, glunn, Dantes929 and 1 other like this

#39 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

Bleh. This is a move to help 2019, and as such this signing could have been done two months from now if there were still a need. Let's see something done to help 2018, which would essentially help 2019 too.

Edited by Doomtints, 13 December 2017 - 10:35 AM.

• laloesch likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#40 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,793 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

Yuch!

I am really not excited by this.Maybe we want that Yankee look of Hughes and Pineda in 2019.We rehab and he moves on.If we have not filled out the rotation so that he would be without a position by 2019 the FO will have failed.Lets stop being the clever boys on the block and sign what we need to fill the holes that we have now and develop the young players for 2019.

• nytwinsfan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda