Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Sign RHP Michael Pineda

michael pineda
  • Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

The Twins announced this morning that they have signed right-handed pitcher Michael Pineda to a two-year, $10 million deal. The former Mariners and Yankees starter had Tommy John surgery July 18, so he is likely to miss the entire 2018 season.Pineda stands 6-7 and about 260 pounds. He is a flame-thrower, when healthy. The Twins deal with Pineda is such that he will make $2 million in 2018 and then $8 million in 2019.

The move is very similar to the transaction the Cubs made earlier this week when they signed lefty Drew Smyly for two years and $10 million.

While Pineda is unlikely to pitch in the big leagues in 2018 (14 month recovery would be late September), this move is a push for 2019 when he will be over 20 months post-surgery and the Twins should be making another playoff push.

It's another creative move for the Twins brass, and it doesn't necessarily stop them from doing anything else.

What do you think of the move?

Click here to view the article
  • glunn, gunnarthor and howieramone2 like this

#2 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

Good. 

#3 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

I like the move, don't see much downsize. I like the idea that he will "hopefully" be competing for a spot in the 19 rotation and at that price if isn't ready 8 million isn't a huge hit to take and if he does well 8 million will be a steal.

• glunn, darin617, 70charger and 4 others like this

#4 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

Very solid move. Obviously doesn't solve anything for next year, but definitely a good move looking forward. 

• glunn, Jerr, bluechipper and 3 others like this

#5 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

There is no downside to this move because it's only two years and very low money. This is a low risk high reward signing.

• glunn, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 3 others like this

#6 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

I liked the Cubs signing of Smyly but I like this better!

• glunn, Bob Sacamento, sploorp and 1 other like this

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,454 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

Call me a skeptic. Maybe Pineda can come out of the pen late in 2018. He throws hard but been mediocre as a starter.
  • mikelink45 and sploorp like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#8 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

Great - hard to dislike this type of risk/rewards move. And in my opinion he offers more upside than Smyly on the same contract. I wonder if the incentives are similar to what Smyly received.

• glunn and sploorp like this

#9 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

And the new front office continues to be unpredictable. I wouldn't have guessed they'd be shopping in the rehabbing pitcher market, but this is such a low risk/potentially high reward move. Probably doesn't help them much to get into the playoffs in 2018, but could make a huge impact in a postseason rotation if they can get in and then be a key piece for 2019 at a very reasonable price tag (relatively speaking).

• glunn, Jerr, bdodge22 and 6 others like this

#10 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

He could be a September addition to the bullpen when rosters expand. The bullpen might be the best spot for 2018 also.
  • glunn, markos, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#11 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

good insurance if we dont pick up Santana's option next season. this gives us more payroll flexibility in that regard.
  • glunn and sploorp like this

#12 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

I like the move though the guy still needs to prove he's not dumb as rocks.

• h2oface likes this
I get my opinions from media guides.

#13 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

Very smart move. Adds to the 2019 rotation in a potentially big way, no pun intended, lol.

Cost and terms are minimal, shouldn't affect 2018 negatively on the financial front, and helps cover Gibson and Santana possibly moving on after this season.
  • glunn and Original Whizzinator like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,978 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

I like the move a lot. FB with plus velocity a slider and a change. No CB but otherwise he looks like the kind of starter that Cleveland has had success showing patience with as of late.

• glunn and Original Whizzinator like this

#15 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

Interesting signing. Is it weird I see him as a better fit in bullpen when he is back?

• glunn, markos, nytwinsfan and 3 others like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

good insurance if we dont pick up Santana's option next season. this gives us more payroll flexibility in that regard.

I don't really see Ervin and Pineda related at all. Picking up Ervin's option will most likely be based on his 2018 performance. Pineda is there either way and provides good depth in the rotation that might actually be a strength in 2019. The Twins definitely need to make a big addition this offseason but combined with that mystery man, Berrios, Ervin?, Pineda and the hopeful emergence of a prospect the team might actually have a competitive rotation.

I continue to like the outside the box thinking that the FO has been doing. In other seasons we looked at other teams making these moves and thought good risk/reward but didn't see the same moves being made. 

• Carole Keller, glunn, sploorp and 1 other like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#17 Drew

Drew

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAim low, aim so low that when you achieve your goal, even you will be disappointed. ~ Homer Simpson

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

His career k/9 (9.1) would rank #2 in Twins history. Even if he never pitches like we hope he can I like the thinking behind this move and the direction Falvine seems to be taking our pitching staff. 

• glunn, sploorp, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#18 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

I saw the Smyly move and thought "this is the type of move the Twins just don't have the dollars to make--only the biggest spenders do this."

Wrong.  Nice move for only $2 million on this year's payroll.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Bob Sacamento and 3 others like this

#19 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

I like that this front office seems capable of making moves that serve different time scales. This is good.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Jerr and 3 others like this

#20 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

Too bad they couldn't have snuck in an option year for 2020.Basically we get him for one year because he's likely spending almost all of 2018 rehabbing.

• glunn, gil4, Twins33 and 7 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda