Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Marte signing with Rays

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,008 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

Rays only have 440k to spend so they are probably trading for money, per Sanchez

• Dance with Disco Dan likes this

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

I saw on MLB that Seattle traded them some international money for a prospect, perhaps that money which came from the Twins. Nice bit of irony there.

• mikelink45 likes this

#3 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Anyone know how bad this "vision issue" really is?  

It's not my fault !

#4 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

If it's not actually bad, Twins really screwed up.
  • mikelink45 and HitInAPinch like this
Papers...business papers.

#5 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

While traveling across the country, I heard on SiriusXM that his vision was 20/100 in one eye and 20/20 in the other.No mention of it being degenerative like the Cardinals Tommy Pham

• HitInAPinch likes this

#6 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

It's $2.2 million bad.

• dgwills likes this

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,278 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

wonder if the Twins will send 1.2M in bonus money over in part of an Archer deal :)

• Twins33, tarheeltwinsfan and HitInAPinch like this

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,278 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

FYI, LEN said Marte is signing for around 800k...

#9 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

If it's not actually bad, Twins really screwed up.

Did they?

Any vision problem that can't be 100% corrected will affect his ability to perform at the major league level.And as of now, no one other than Marte and the Twins know how serious the problem is.

They also recovered $3,000,000 of Int'l money.They used $2,000,000 to trade for the two prospects. That leaves over a million to work with which could get them another prospect or two.The two birds in the hand together with another possible bird(s) for a player that had any vision problem tells me they actually made the prudent move.

Like everything with young prospects, we will know in another five years or so.  

• howieramone2 and SF Twins Fan like this

#10 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

I would love for the Twins to clear up:

1) Why the late announcement of the voided contract if he failed the physical during the summer?

2) Was the physical done in November and if so why so late? 

3) If the eye issue is concerning enough to void the original contract why are they interested in signing him now? 

Odd timing of events and similarly odd interest if the medicals are as concerning as posters have made it seem. 

• gunnarthor and Dman like this

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Did they?

Any vision problem that can't be 100% corrected will affect his ability to perform at the major league level.And as of now, no one other than Marte and the Twins know how serious the problem is.

They also recovered $3,000,000 of Int'l money.They used $2,000,000 to trade for the two prospects. That leaves over a million to work with which could get them another prospect or two.The two birds in the hand together with another possible bird(s) for a player that had any vision problem tells me they actually made the prudent move.

Like everything with young prospects, we will know in another five years or so.  

I said if it's not bad. I absolutely believe that he legitimately failed a physical and they were right to void the contract.

But if they got too cute in trying to save money, they did not do well. I would take someone with Marte's ceiling over the fringe prospects they acquired with the saved money.

Papers...business papers.

#12 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

I said if it's not bad. I absolutely believe that he legitimately failed a physical and they were right to void the contract.

But if they got too cute in trying to save money, they did not do well. I would take someone with Marte's ceiling over the fringe prospects they acquired with the saved money.

Did you miss them signing the ex-Braves prospect who had a successful debut?

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,442 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

Did you miss them signing the ex-Braves prospect who had a successful debut?

With next year's money, not this year's...... Not relevant.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#14 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

With next year's money, not this year's...... Not relevant.

Is that for sure?I think they can use either this year or next year's money.If you have enough money left over this year, it would make sense to use that, since most of the hot prospects sign in July.  

#15 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

Is that for sure?I think they can use either this year or next year's money.If you have enough money left over this year, it would make sense to use that, since most of the hot prospects sign in July.  

Unfortunately, the rules for signing the Braves' free agents state that you can use EITHER this year's money OR next year's money but you cannot take some from each pool.Given the amount the Twins gave Severino ($2.5 million) it necessarily come from next year's pool because the Twins do not have enough to cover that amount from this year's pool after the trades with the Mariners and Angels. It definitely would have been nice if they could have cleaned out this year's pool and dipped into next year's for the remainder. I'm interested to see how--or if--they spend the remainder of this year's pool.

Edited by Dance with Disco Dan, 13 December 2017 - 03:55 PM.

• KirbyDome89 and snap4birds like this

#16 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Before Marte was released, his ratings were much lower than expected. For example, Seth rated him #30 in November, while Rortvedt was rated #24. Banuelos is supposed to rate around the same as Rortvedt. Now, rating prospects is difficult and inexact, but from that datapoint, Banuelos is better than Marte, even before accounting for saving $3+ M.

#17 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

wonder if the Twins will send 1.2M in bonus money over in part of an Archer deal :)

That would make my day and the Twins next 4 seasons. .

#18 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

1) Why the late announcement of the voided contract if he failed the physical during the summer?

3) If the eye issue is concerning enough to void the original contract why are they interested in signing him now? 

Odd timing of events and similarly odd interest if the medicals are as concerning as posters have made it seem. 

I don't believe the Twins ever announced it at all.It came up when International $ amounts available were being discussed because of Ohtani.As far as I'm aware, we don't even know the actual date his contract was voided. 

#19 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Physical was taken and failed in September. Why it took so long to take a physical? I don't know, but I don't think he's the first guy to have a physical way later. I feel like I remember it happening before, but don't have an example.

To me, it makes sense that they didn't like him at 3M with the eye issue, but they'd find him acceptable at a lower amount. Less money risk. That I know of, there are teams that could have offered him more than the 800K he is getting from the Rays so that only makes it seem even more likely that it's a problem unless the other teams just didn't like him. Until the Rays signed him, I didn't hear of any team interested in him besides the Twins.

#20 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

Who is generally regarded as better, Severino or Marte? Can't have everything.