Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Winter Meetings - Search For A Starter

gerrit cole chris archer zack granite tyler jay nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#161 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

I don't know, a trade and a free agent signing are basically using two different resources, one uses prospects and one uses money, it's not like these two dis-similar moves are going to double down and deplete either of those resources extensively.

I guess my view is that if the Twins were to sign a big time free agent (Darvish is the only one I see as big time this year) you'd think it would indicate that the team thinks their window of opportunity is open now. Wouldn't you want to give yourself the best chance to win now? Why waste 2018 and only next year move to shore up the remaining rotation holes? Especially when there is a trend this year where the bottom feeders are open for business. I don't recall a year where this many quality arms are available for trade.

The aggressive teams aren't just making one move, they are making them in bunches and for the most part they are working in tandem.

And a very valid point. Does this mean the end for Gibson then? Do you think he's be part of a trade package for said SP or a BP addition?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#162 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

And a very valid point. Does this mean the end for Gibson then? Do you think he's be part of a trade package for said SP or a BP addition?

I don't know, I'd hope the front office gets the pieces they covet right off the bat and then sort out the left over pieces in the aftermath.

Personally, Danny Duffey would be my top trade target as he's good and he's a lefty. If the Twins got a reliable lefty Mejia would be more available and probably a pretty decent trade chip. Gibson's got pretty good velocity on his four-seamer, that might play up quite a bit if he were to be moved to the pen.

#163 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

I'd rather take Darvish and keep the prospects and not to mention Greinke is already 34.

Greinke is a 5 WAR pitcher. Darvish is a 2.5 WA pitcher.

So, there is that to take into account.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#164 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Sabathia on a one year 10 million dollar deal with Yankees. I hoped the Twins would be in play there for a one year deal. I wonder how much more than 10 million they would have had to go to get Sabathia. I wouldn’t have been interested in two years.

#165 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Sabathia on a one year 10 million dollar deal with Yankees. I hoped the Twins would be in play there for a one year deal. I wonder how much more than 10 million they would have had to go to get Sabathia. I wouldn’t have been interested in two years.

CC, his wife and their 4 children have been living in New Jersey for almost a decade. Hopefully he and his wife have a great marriage. CC has already earned almost a quarter billion dollars.

I cannot imagine him taking a job where he would play for a team out of the area.

• USAFChief, jorgenswest and gunnarthor like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#166 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

Darvish needs to make a decision, he's holding up the majority of the free agent market for starting pitching.

#167 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

Darvish is going to the Cubs. Twins will scoop up some mediocre pitcher after that.

#168 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

MLB Trade rumors say Cubs are zeroing in on Darvish. Fun while it.lasted.

#169 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,793 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

Darvish needs to make a decision, he's holding up the majority of the free agent market for starting pitching.

I've been assuming he is waiting for a team to commit to a sixth year, and that's what's holding up his decision.

Darvish is going to the Cubs.

This is just your supposition, right? I have seen no news announcements saying this.

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#170 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

I've been assuming he is waiting for a team to commit to a sixth year, and that's what's holding up his decision.

This is just your supposition, right? I have seen no news announcements saying this.

Cubs are now interested. He could still sign here but I think the Cubs have better chance given their resources.

#171 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,793 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

Cubs are now interested. He could still sign here but I think the Cubs have better chance given their resources.

I have no problem with this take. I just thought at first I was reading a news scoop.

• drock2190 likes this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gerrit cole, chris archer, zack granite, tyler jay, nick gordon