Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Winter Meetings - Search For A Starter

gerrit cole chris archer zack granite tyler jay nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#121 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

This may turn out to be nothing, but according to MLB Trade Rumors, Darvish has been in contact with Gimenez about what it's like to play in Minnesota.  Like I said, it could very well be nothing, but if it isn't .... ?  A possible deal could be farther along than people realize.

It would be awesome.Big time hoping! It would be out biggest FA signing by far.

#122 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

It would be awesome.Big time hoping! It would be out biggest FA signing by far.

I'm pretty excited about signing the guy who pretty much cost the Dodgers a World Series!!

#123 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

If the rumored trade proposal is accurate then I would think the reason MN is hesitating is because internally they are very high on Jay.

You have to give some to get some so it's pretty obvious Gordon would be included. While I like Granite and think he's a valuable 4th OF for us this year, you don't hesitate to add to the front end of your pitching staff because of a 4th OF. So it has to be about Jay and the ceiling/floor our front office views for him.

I think that's right and I had the same reaction. Hate giving up Gordon but I think we have to expect that he will be part of any trade that nets an above average starting pitcher as the "MLB ready" prospect. I don't understand why people are so high on Granite - his ceiling is an average MLB CF with no power - nothing to sneeze at but we have a better one and can find another as good. so Gordon and Granite, no issue, but Jay could be a dominant relief pitcher and its too early to give up on him. Seems like a half step too far for 2 years of Cole for me, but I wouldn't be upset if the Twins made the trade.  

#124 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,037 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

This may turn out to be nothing, but according to MLB Trade Rumors, Darvish has been in contact with Gimenez about what it's like to play in Minnesota.  Like I said, it could very well be nothing, but if it isn't .... ?!  A possible deal could be farther along than people realize.

Yeah, this was mentioned here:
http://twinsdaily.co...tings/?p=700629

With multiple threads going on the Winter Meetings, tons of overlap in conversations happening. I imagine that every thread will blow up if something big actually happens for the Twins!
  • Jerr and Oldgoat_MN like this

#125 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

I'm pretty excited about signing the guy who pretty much cost the Dodgers a World Series!!

ugh

• Twins33 and Drew like this

#126 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

Shaw and Reed off the board, pen arms are starting to move quick.

#127 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:49 PM

I'd love to have the chance to blow the WS.
  • ashbury, luckylager, Thrylos and 10 others like this

#128 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,949 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

Shaw and Reed off the board, pen arms are starting to move quick.

And Morrow, and Hunter, and Neshek, and Petit. 

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#129 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

I so very much hope that the GMs of the other teams think like you do.

• Oldgoat_MN and Drew like this

#130 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

Exactly this.And not to mention, though Longoria doesn't have a MONSTER contract, that has to be included when talking about value (an average of 17M a year if you count the buyout for 2023)

So it's 32 year old Longoria (owed 17M a year over the next 5 years) + Archer (and his 8.5M a year over 4 years) for Sano (who isn't arbitration eligible yet) + Gonzalves who still has 6 years of control.

Nice to see you show Sano some respect, finally. However, you could argue that the above-average dependability of Longoria is preferable to the unpredictability and highs and lows of having Sano around, much as I'm in his corner and hope he gets straightened out.

#131 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

Nice to see you show Sano some respect, finally. However, you could argue that the above-average dependability of Longoria is preferable to the unpredictability and highs and lows of having Sano around, much as I'm in his corner and hope he gets straightened out.

I've given Sano plenty of respect in regards to his bat. PLENTY. I don't think it's fair to say I am finally giving him respect just because I don't find him to be a good defender and I say so.I give him credit for what he does well and I point out his issues on defense.Heck, I even gave him credit for his effort in RF when they made the horrible decision to put him out there.Yeah, he was bad, but It wasn't HIS fault it was so bad.

If you feel that it's unfair to point out a player's weaknesses, I don't know what to say to that.

Edited by jimmer, 12 December 2017 - 10:28 PM.

#132 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Ok, so can we agree Archer >>>> Gonsalves? :)

#133 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Ok, so can we agree Archer >>>> Gonsalves? :)

All I was saying is too many people just look at the players without taking into consideration salary, age or years of control.And it all needs to be considered.

• birdwatcher and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#134 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, this was mentioned here:
http://twinsdaily.co...tings/?p=700629

With multiple threads going on the Winter Meetings, tons of overlap in conversations happening. I imagine that every thread will blow up if something big actually happens for the Twins!

It's because there was a day 0 thread but never a day 1 or day 2 thread. People don't know where to post.
  • ashbury and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#135 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,037 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

It's because there was a day 0 thread but never a day 1 or day 2 thread. People don't know where to post.

I know. These winter meeting discussions will just overlap. But I did mention it because there was some discussion already, including a bit more detail on it.

#136 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:32 PM

Y'all have taken a hard line before on moving and locking threads. My suggestion (not that you're asking) would be to lock up the "day 0" thread at midnight and start a day 3 thread.

#137 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:21 AM

To realize that puts Sano and Buxton another year closer to free agency? Eventually you have to try to win.

Slow and steady will win a lot of races. Lets see if the young guys can duplicate last years win total, gain some maturity, become steady, consistent players, maybe even the all-star players we hope they will be, THEN is the time to trade a bunch of prospects for the missing piece(s). 

#138 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:26 AM

To realize that puts Sano and Buxton another year closer to free agency? Eventually you have to try to win.

As far as Sano and Buxton go, I'm not on the bandwagon yet. Sano has to prove he can play a whole year, keep his weight down, and cut down on his strikeouts. Buxton has to prove that he can stop running into walls or other players. The Twins will be luck to get 200 games out of the two of them this year. You can't count on them so that means all the other young players need to mature and step up, meaning the Twins are still a year or two away from needing to make that big trade to get over the hump.

#139 Penthang

Penthang

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

If the rumored package is true it may be that the Twins want an extension agreed to before pulling the trigger?

--Twins Fan From Texas

#140 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

Y'all have taken a hard line before on moving and locking threads. My suggestion (not that you're asking) would be to lock up the "day 0" thread at midnight and start a day 3 thread.

Wait, the winter meetings have already started? That can't be accurate because......

:)

We typically would lock or merge threads but this is an article not a one-off conversation thread.

****I wouldn't normally post this in a forum and would instead send a PM as I wouldn't want to derail the discussion but I can see where this might be a situation where many people are perplexed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gerrit cole, chris archer, zack granite, tyler jay, nick gordon