Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Winter Meetings - Search For A Starter

gerrit cole chris archer zack granite tyler jay nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#41 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,320 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

I would do the trade for Cole in a heartbeat, and then sign other starter (no worse than Lynn/Cobb with preferring Cobb.  

I am OK with the Archer - Longorilla trade including Sano.Sano is a Boras client and Twins chances of retaining him for more than 4 years are small.I would see if Sano is interested in a 6 year deal before I did this, but hope the Twins have already done their work.Sano + Gordon + Starter and Granite should be somewhere in the ballpark.

Sano is represented by roc nation, just like his idol, Robinson Cano. 

http://rocnation.com/miguel-sano/

Lewis is a Boras client (and so is Gerritt Cole)

#42 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

I don't include Royce Lewis in any trade, unless it's a reasonably priced top 5 MLB pitcher with plenty of team control remaining

AKA - I'm not trading Royce Lewis

• Twins33, Major League Ready, Einstein1 and 2 others like this

#43 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,758 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

Cole makes sense, but If I was talking to the Pirates, it makes more sense to package him with MacCutchen and Rivero. Here is what I proposed.

• GP830 and T_J like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#44 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'm a fan of just signing Arrieta. I know there are some concerns health-wise but he's got less mileage on his arm than most because of his slow development and all he costs is a second round pick. He also seems like a guy you can get for four years instead of going five or six. That contract might be rough the last year but that's the risk you take.

• South Dakota Tom likes this

#45 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

I do Cole for Gordon, Jay & Granite in a heartbeat.Offer Cole a deal in the 4-year / $40-48mil range and buy out his remaining remaining two arb years & first two years of FA.The guy could be a horse.

• Carole Keller, DocBauer, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#46 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

I do Cole for Gordon, Jay & Granite in a heartbeat.Offer Cole a deal in the 4-year / $40-48mil range and buy out his remaining remaining two arb years & first two years of FA.The guy could be a horse.

That's probably a bit light on what it would take to get a Boras client to sign an extension. Probably closer to 4 years for $60mil.

#47 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

I hope there is some truth to the rumor Seth posted...however, in my opinion, there is no way the Pirates asked for that little in return...

All 3 unproven and the only pitcher is a reliever?

If it's true the Twins should have done it by now.  Ripped up the arb years and pay him 4/years 66 mil...Nice raise over the arb years

#48 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:03 AM

I hope there is some truth to the rumor Seth posted...however, in my opinion, there is no way the Pirates asked for that little in return...

If it's true the Twins should have done it by now.  Ripped up the arb years and pay him 4/years 66 mil...Nice raise over the arb years

The rumor comes from a Pirates fan site, not Seth. Which gives it more credibility than if it came from "us"

And actually, the reaction from what seemed like Pirates fans on Twitter, was positive. 

• Oldgoat_MN, Vanimal46, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#49 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,320 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

We might also be over estimating Cole. He has name recognition but he was decidedly average last year and only threw 116 ml innings the year before. He can eat innings but his era and fip weren't great. What do we think we're getting for his two years?

• nicksaviking and KirbyDome89 like this

#50 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,544 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

Seth, Darvish wouldn't cost a draft pick. You have that wrong. He was traded to the Dodgers, so no draft pick compensation is attached.

you are correct. 

#51 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Still not sure why Cobb is not higher on everyone's list and Cole is so high.They have almost identical numbers career wise and Cobb's were better last year. Cobb also pitches in the AL East while Cole is a National Leaguer which just makes me discount him by 10%. I would be ok with the package mentioned for Cole though.I don''t know that I want to add more than one starter because I think at least two of Gonsalves, Romero, Mejia and May will be very good by mid season. Twins didn't get better in 2017 by adding a lot of guys.They did it by guys playing better and developing.I like to see that trend continue.

• Mike Sixel and Dman like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#52 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,534 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

I'd prefer that the Twins keep their prospects, let the current core of Buxton, Kepler, Polanco, etc. get another year of experience, see if they are the real deal, see if Sano is going to ever be healthy. Use $ to sign a couple of mid-level pitchers, sort thru all the AAA starters, then next winter make a big trade. Or even at the trade deadline this summer, if the Twins are in contention.

Keep the prospects, spend $ to improve, let the prospects get experience, THEN make a big trade splash to get over the hump.

To realize that puts Sano and Buxton another year closer to free agency? Eventually you have to try to win.
  • Twins33, bluechipper and SF Twins Fan like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,534 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

I'm a fan of just signing Arrieta. I know there are some concerns health-wise but he's got less mileage on his arm than most because of his slow development and all he costs is a second round pick. He also seems like a guy you can get for four years instead of going five or six. That contract might be rough the last year but that's the risk you take.

My least favorite option. Just not a believer
  • gunnarthor, Oldgoat_MN, adorduan and 3 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#54 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,320 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

My least favorite option. Just not a believer

Agreed. I think he's an NL pitcher only.

• bluechipper and sploorp like this

#55 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

That's probably a bit light on what it would take to get a Boras client to sign an extension. Probably closer to 4 years for $60mil.

I'm not so sure.$20mil is the high end for his two arb years.$20-28 for the two years that follow would be low, assuming he continues to pitch at or above his current level.However, if he has a Rotator Cuff injury, a UCL tear or Thoracic Outlet Syndrome occur in the next two years, he could only dream of that kind of money.Archer sold his arb & early FA years for a lot less than that.

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#56 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

I wouldn't stop the trade because of Granite but I would try to offer a different prospect. Buxton will likely miss some time this season. The Twins don't have another CF who is even close on defense. That means spending more money on the FA market, which increases the cost of the trade. 

Um, Rosario and Kepler say hello. They can handle it. Plenty of guys who can fill in a corner.

Edited by Steve Lein, 12 December 2017 - 11:40 AM.

• Carole Keller, gunnarthor, nicksaviking and 3 others like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#57 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Um, Rosario and Kepler say hello. They can handle it. Plenty of guys who can fill in a corner.

Not as well as Granite. And if you move one of the two, you do need a corner OF, which the Twins don't have, so it will cost more to do the deal than if you can find a different prospect to fill the space in the trade. 

Like I said before, I wouldn't stop the trade if it included Granite but there may be a better alternative. Maybe provide an actual OF you'd get as a FA and serve it beside the sarcasm.

Edited by dbminn, 12 December 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#58 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

We might also be over estimating Cole. He has name recognition but he was decidedly average last year and only threw 116 ml innings the year before. He can eat innings but his era and fip weren't great. What do we think we're getting for his two years?

I think the name is carrying a lot of weight in this instance. Don't get me wrong, he's a clear upgrade over anything they have right now, but only having him for 2 years is tough. It depends on what they would have to give up for archer but 4 years at least gets them to the FA years of Buxton, Sano, ect. 

Cole for 2 years is easier to swallow if by some miracle they decide to spend $$ and get Darvish. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#59 T_J

T_J

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Cole makes sense, but If I was talking to the Pirates, it makes more sense to package him with MacCutchen and Rivero. Here is what I proposed.

That trade would be near dream come true. It would sting, but it seems really close to reasonable by both sides. One thing that I wouldn't be sure about is Krililoff. I know around here we seem to adore our hometown kids, but I don't see that in other places as often. 

#60 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

I'm a fan of just signing Arrieta. I know there are some concerns health-wise but he's got less mileage on his arm than most because of his slow development and all he costs is a second round pick. He also seems like a guy you can get for four years instead of going five or six. That contract might be rough the last year but that's the risk you take.

I agree with you regarding the cost of Arrieta, however...

Arrieta makes me a little nervous. His 2015 was great, but his ERA, FIP and WHIP went up in 2016 and again this past season. His BABIP went down from .345 in 2016 to .298 last year and those other number still went up.

I know he'll only be 32 next season, but I find those three stats unsettling.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gerrit cole, chris archer, zack granite, tyler jay, nick gordon