Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Non-Twins Offseason Rumors

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

Is Machado really going to get traded? mlb.com says there is progress being made, with 5 teams having discussions. Orioles are said to want two pitchers. 

This seems like it might actually happen. 

Santana and Mejia? (just kidding, but seriously though, what would it take for one year of Manny?)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#22 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,611 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

Machado would be my dream ... but I've always known that one would go into the 'unfulfilled' category.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

Is Machado really going to get traded? mlb.com says there is progress being made, with 5 teams having discussions. Orioles are said to want two pitchers. 

This seems like it might actually happen. 

Santana and Mejia? (just kidding, but seriously though, what would it take for one year of Manny?)

Gonsalves and Romero as a starting point. It's interesting. At the end of the day, it's only one year of Manny (plus a future pick when he leaves). Realistically, he might be worth something like 5 WAR. And if you look at other trades where someone expects about 5 WAR in return, something like Romero, Gonsalves and Thorpe (if they want pitchers) + Mejia would be arguably fair. But Machado is such a name that Baltimore should get a major overpay. Or maybe no one meets their price.

• cmoss84 likes this

#24 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

Old friend Oswaldo Arcia has signed with a Japanese ball club. Good luck to him. 

Yankees say price for Cole is too high so I'm not sure that the Gordon, Jay, Granite rumor is accurate.

Twins on Darvish, Seattle might be too.

#25 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

I'd say that's definitely too much.

No one knows if this is true, but that same twitter account said this:

Most people on this forum said they'd do that in a heartbeat so that's what is making us question the legitimacy.

Wow....i do this in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

#26 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Old friend Oswaldo Arcia has signed with a Japanese ball club. Good luck to him. 

Yankees say price for Cole is too high so I'm not sure that the Gordon, Jay, Granite rumor is accurate.

Twins on Darvish, Seattle might be too.

I'd be surprised if that's right.Seems too good to be true.

#27 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

BARF

#28 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

BARF

a team wanting him after the 2016 season was iffy. After the 2017 season when he got worse? Why..?
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,129 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

The Padres and Royals are in a bidding war for Eric Hosmer and it's supposedly up to 7 years at over $20M per?!

What am I missing? I guess KC could claim that sentimentality is worth 100M, what's San Diego's excuse? Don't these teams know that average to slightly above average 1B can be bought at Cosco two-for-the-price-of-one at a fraction of that price these days?

• Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and Tomj14 like this

#30 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

I really hope he sticks with the Royals at that price. I'm all for teams in our division doing dumb things.
  • nicksaviking and SF Twins Fan like this

#31 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

The Padres and Royals are in a bidding war for Eric Hosmer and it's supposedly up to 7 years at over $20M per?!

What am I missing? I guess KC could claim that sentimentality is worth 100M, what's San Diego's excuse? Don't these teams know that average to slightly above average 1B can be bought at Cosco two-for-the-price-of-one at a fraction of that price these days?

Or it's called a Scott Boras fairly tale

#32 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

This has to be one of the slowest offseason EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bluechipper, Sconnie and Vanimal46 like this

#33 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, I compared his numbers to other first baseman and he's probably about the 10th or 11th best over the last three years. He's not elite but probably pretty solidly in the second tier of first baseman (and he'll still make less/year than what our third tier first baseman is making). I imagine they are paying for his age (28 next year) and reasonable walk and strike out rates. He also benefits from being one of the truly good FA hitters in a thin market. And his offense probably jumps up a notch in the NL. 

And really, what do you think a .300/.385/.500/25hr/4WAR/130 OPS+ 27 year old hitter with durable track record should get? 20m/yr seems pretty reasonable and I suspect the extra year is part of a bidding war.

• Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#34 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,735 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, I compared his numbers to other first baseman and he's probably about the 10th or 11th best over the last three years. He's not elite but probably pretty solidly in the second tier of first baseman (and he'll still make less/year than what our third tier first baseman is making). I imagine they are paying for his age (28 next year) and reasonable walk and strike out rates. He also benefits from being one of the truly good FA hitters in a thin market. And his offense probably jumps up a notch in the NL. 

And really, what do you think a .300/.385/.500/25hr/4WAR/130 OPS+ 27 year old hitter with durable track record should get? 20m/yr seems pretty reasonable and I suspect the extra year is part of a bidding war.

Yep, $20/year seems pretty reasonable for him. We've got to stop thinking in 2005 prices on this website. This is the market and it's only going to increase.
  • gunnarthor, Hosken Bombo Disco and SF Twins Fan like this

#35 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

Yep, $20/year seems pretty reasonable for him. We've got to stop thinking in 2005 prices on this website. This is the market and it's only going to increase.

Bryce Harper says hello

I keep waiting for the crash. It never comes.
  • gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#36 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

Normally, I'd agree but Hosmer is one of the most inconsistent players. Three or four of those years, he's going to play badly. And unlike other players, it isn't an "I'm getting old, so the back end will be bad." It might look terrible as soon as next year. And then the year after he may be good again and repeat.

I wouldn't want my team to commit that much money and years to a player who is such a roller coaster ride.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#37 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,129 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

I have less problem with the dollars than I do with the years. Tying up 1B for the better part of a decade with a completely average hitter seems like a poor decision in an age where 1B has largely been relegated as the spot to allow for team-wide positional flexibility.

• birdwatcher and Sconnie like this

#38 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,735 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

I have less problem with the dollars than I do with the years. Tying up 1B for the better part of a decade with a completely average hitter seems like a poor decision in an age where 1B has largely been relegated as the spot to allow for team-wide positional flexibility.

Okay, then I misread your post. I thought it was the salary rate you thought was preposterous.

We'll see where he lands. Personally I hope he goes to San Diego. I'd rather have division rivals lose talent rather than retain it.

#39 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,129 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Okay, then I misread your post. I thought it was the salary rate you thought was preposterous.

We'll see where he lands. Personally I hope he goes to San Diego. I'd rather have division rivals lose talent rather than retain it.

Well I'd be lying if I didn't claim my post clearly was laughing at BOTH the years and the dollars, but as Twins fans, we know all to well that money doesn't matter :).

But just sorting out the 1B types on Fangraphs I see Buster Posey, Cody Bellinger, Ryan Zimmerman, Logan Morrison, Carlos Santana, Matt Carpenter, Joey Gallo, Yonder Alonso, Joe Mauer, Eric Thames, Yuli Gurriel, Wil Myers, Trey Mancini, Mark Reynolds, Ryon Healy, Chris Davis and Miguel Cabrera all playing 1B but who are only there by default due to over-crowding at another position, decreased defensive abilities or needing regular off days from a more demanding position. 

It's like every team's free get-out-of-a-pickle position, I'd only tie it up long term for elite guys like Goldschmidt, Votto or Brent Rooker.

#40 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

Well I'd be lying if I didn't claim my post clearly was laughing at BOTH the years and the dollars, but as Twins fans, we know all to well that money doesn't matter :).

But just sorting out the 1B types on Fangraphs I see Buster Posey, Cody Bellinger, Ryan Zimmerman, Logan Morrison, Carlos Santana, Matt Carpenter, Joey Gallo, Yonder Alonso, Joe Mauer, Eric Thames, Yuli Gurriel, Wil Myers, Trey Mancini, Mark Reynolds, Ryon Healy, Chris Davis and Miguel Cabrera all playing 1B but who are only there by default due to over-crowding at another position, decreased defensive abilities or needing regular off days from a more demanding position. 

It's like every team's free get-out-of-a-pickle position, I'd only tie it up long term for elite guys like Goldschmidt, Votto or Brent Rooker.

One of these things is not like the others...

• ashburyjohn and Oldgoat_MN like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!