Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Non-Twins Offseason Rumors

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

Mostly from Heyman's twitter.

• Profar for Harvey swap being discussed
  • Yankees trying to trade for Gerritt Cole but Pirates say they aren't trading him
  • Carlos Santana turned down 3/36 from Cleveland to test market
  • Seattle will improve pitching, looking at Darvish

If Yankees get Cole, I might scream. 

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,408 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Profar for Harvey kind of makes sense. Both players desperately need a change of scenery that's for sure.

So much for thinking the Yankees are going to sit back waiting for the super FA class of 2019.... I will scream too if Cole ends up on their team. Hold strong, Pittsburgh!

3/36 isn't enough for Santana. I predict he's going to get at least $50 MM on the open market. The Twins are a pretty good fit and should certainly look into him. I see him as a clear upgrade over Grossman/Vargas.
  • gunnarthor and SF Twins Fan like this

#3 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

Let's keep this thread for the rumors out there, and the other for actual deals made. That way it will (hopefully) keep the overlap to a minimum. 

• ashburyjohn and gunnarthor like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

More from Heyman and others - 

1. Orioles are shopping Machado
  2. Fernando Rodney met with the Twins
  3. Cubs might sign Cobb
  4. DBacks might move LHP Corbin
  5. Miami will give away Ozuna!

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Fernando Rodney? Not super inspiring.
  • Twins33 and jimmer like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#6 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

I've never liked Rodney - he always seemed lucky to me - but he's done it for a long time and he wouldn't be the worst arm in the pen.

• Vanimal46 and howieramone2 like this

#8 drewbyrne

drewbyrne

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

I've heard a lot about the twins signing dervish at what point would people think we paid too much.

#9 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

I've heard a lot about the twins signing dervish at what point would people think we paid too much.

If he can master his secret pitch, the whirling dervish, there couldn't be a "too much."

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

I've never liked Rodney - he always seemed lucky to me - but he's done it for a long time and he wouldn't be the worst arm in the pen.

Concur, on both counts.

I just wish he could get his head screwed on straight - either that, or it's his hat.

• Thrylos and gil4 like this

Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.-- Robert Louis Stevenson

#11 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

Fernando Rodney? Not super inspiring.

thats where we shop. Old guys and reclamation projects :-)

#12 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

https://twitter.com/pbcbreakdown

I obviously forgot how to embed Twitter into here.

Edited by Loosey, 12 December 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#13 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

https://twitter.com/pbcbreakdown

I obviously forgot how to embed Twitter into here.

Basically the Cole sweepstakes are down to the Twins, Mariners, and the Evil Empire. I would be very happy with Cole but it seems like the prospect haul would be pretty daunting, what are we talking? Gordon, Gonsalves, and Thorpe? Is that too much, right about on, or not enough?

Edited by twinsfanstreif, 12 December 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#14 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

Basically the Cole sweepstakes are down to the Twins, Mariners, and the Evil Empire. I would be very happy with Cole but it seems like the prospect haul would be pretty daunting, what are we talking? Gordon, Gonsalves, and Thorpe? Is that too much, right about on, or not enough?

I'd say that's definitely too much.

No one knows if this is true, but that same twitter account said this:

Most people on this forum said they'd do that in a heartbeat so that's what is making us question the legitimacy.

#15 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'd say that's definitely too much.
No one knows if this is true, but that same twitter account said this:

Most people on this forum said they'd do that in a heartbeat so that's what is making us question the legitimacy.

Oh dang, yea, I way over shot. I would do that trade asap. I like Gordon but I'm fine with our middle infielders currently and we have plenty of prospects in that area. I kind of also see Gordon as a good but not great player long term

#16 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

I'd say it's A and B - too much to give up, but right on what it would take to get it done.I'd pass at that price.I'd think a bit longer about the reported asking price of Nick Gordon, Tyler Jay, and Zach Granite.

#17 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

#18 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

The Cole discussion regarding the Twins is ongoing in the Twins forum. Please let's leave it over there and not have a 3rd or 4th thread throughout the site discussing this.

Same with the Rodney discussion.

While I understand these rumors are often presented along side others, and that's fine, please be mindful that this forum is for non-Twins talk. Yes, it's very difficult (actually impossible) to separate these discussions absolutely, but let's not make these discussions solely Twins or dominantly Twins discussions in the Other MLB forum. If you think this information needs to be 'over there' and it's not already, get it going 'over there' and leave 'here' to (mostly) non-Twins.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#19 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

The Cole discussion regarding the Twins is ongoing in the Twins forum. Please let's leave it over there and not have a 3rd or 4th thread throughout the site discussing this.

Well this thread is specifically for "off-season rumors" I think Cole discussions qualify for that

#20 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

Well this thread is specifically for "off-season rumors" I think Cole discussions qualify for that

No ... not in the OTHER BASEBALL forum. Yes, I understand how it gets mentioned, but if you want to talk specifically about this in regards to the Twins, please take it to the Twins forum. It would be one thing if you were comparing what others might offer and how the other teams chances are in comparison, I can see that, and yes, that would qualify, but if you are just making it yet another discussion on how the Twins can acquire (or not acquire) certain players, it really needs to be taken to the Twins Talk forum.

Edit: And now I've edited the title to reflect this. Again, I understand the mentions, and that's fine, but for full-on Twins discussions, please take them to the Twins Talk forum.

Thank you!