Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Official Winter Meetings Day 0 Thread

derek falvey thad levine paul molitor brian dozier nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

That hurts.Probably the best reliever FA available.

We are going to get scraps.That's what we do.The big dogs eat first.

• Blackjack, big dog, Dman and 3 others like this

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

A question I've been asking myself lately is, what prospects can we give up in a trade that won't come back to bite us late (i.e. future lack of pitching depth, current bullpen struggles)

I would say Royce Lewis is the only one they might really regret. And I probably wouldn't trade Wander Javier considering his current value.

Otherwise everyone else should be on the table.
  • Twins33 likes this
Papers...business papers.

#23 Baseball Bat

Baseball Bat

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

That hurts.Probably the best reliever FA available.

I would argue with this a litte. Davis, Holland, Reed are all superior and younger than Morrow, who is 33. You could also make a case for others like Shaw, McGee, etc.

• howieramone2 and Captain Hindsight like this

#24 minnesquatcha

minnesquatcha

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

I would say Royce Lewis is the only one they might really regret. And I probably wouldn't trade Wander Javier considering his current value.

Otherwise everyone else should be on the table.

I kinda agree, though I wouldn't say that Royce is the only untouchable. I'm guessing that the arms that just got added to the 40-man roster (Gonsalves, Thorpe and Little) along with Romero are probably going to be hard to part with. There is not a whole lot of upside on this staff at the moment and it would hurt to see any chance of that disappearing.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,062 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

I would argue with this a litte. Davis, Holland, Reed are all superior and younger than Morrow, who is 33. You could also make a case for others like Shaw, McGee, etc.

Here are their stats (the best in all is in bold.)As far age goes, other than Reed everyone else is 31-33

Morrow: 2.06 ERA, 1.55 FIP, 0.92 WHIP/.288 BABIP, 29.4 K%, 24.1 K-BB%,97.7 mph FB
Davis: 2.30 ERA, 3.88 FIP, 1.14 WHIP/.262 BABIP, 32.6 K%, 21.1 K-BB%, 94.3 mph FB
Holland: 3.61 ERA, 3.72 FIP, 1.15 WHIP/.252 BABIP, 29.8 K%, 18.7 K-BB% , 93.5 mph FB
Reed: 2.84 ERA, 3.67 FIP, 1.05 WHIP/.266 BABIP, 24.8 K%, 19.9 K-BB%,92.3 mph FB
Shaw: 3.52 ERA, 2.96 FIP, 1.21 WHIP/.311 BABIP, 23.4 K%, 16.3 K-BB%, 95.0 mph FB
McGee: 3.61 ERA, 2.93 FIP, 1.10 WHIP/2.87 BABIP, 25.3 K%, 18.3 K-BB%,93.5 mph FB

I said that he was "probably" the best FA reliever available, but if you put the numbers down, it is not even close...

Edited by Thrylos, 10 December 2017 - 05:37 PM.

• nytwinsfan likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 Baseball Bat

Baseball Bat

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

Here are their stats (the best in all is in bold.)As far age goes, other than Reed everyone else is 31-33

Morrow: 2.06 ERA, 1.55 FIP, 0.92 WHIP/.288 BABIP, 29.4 K%, 24.1 K-BB%,97.7 mph FB
Davis: 2.30 ERA, 3.88 FIP, 1.14 WHIP/.262 BABIP, 32.6 K%, 21.1 K-BB%, 94.3 mph FB
Holland: 3.61 ERA, 3.72 FIP, 1.15 WHIP/.252 BABIP, 29.8 K%, 18.7 K-BB% , 93.5 mph FB
Reed: 2.84 ERA, 3.67 FIP, 1.05 WHIP/.266 BABIP, 24.8 K%, 19.9 K-BB%,92.3 mph FB
Shaw: 3.52 ERA, 2.96 FIP, 1.21 WHIP/.311 BABIP, 23.4 K%, 16.3 K-BB%, 95.0 mph FB
McGee: 3.61 ERA, 2.93 FIP, 1.10 WHIP/2.87 BABIP, 25.3 K%, 18.3 K-BB%,93.5 mph FB

I said that he was "probably" the best FA reliever available, but if you put the numbers down, it is not even close...

Yeah but track record matters. He is often injured and you the only full season he had where he was both successful and healthy was 2017. The 5 guys I mentioned have all had sustained success for more than one season. There is a reason last season he signed a Minor League deal with the Dodgers.

• birdwatcher, Vanimal46, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#27 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

Lots of competition for the wild card. Even an optimistic look at the Twins has them outside looking in right now behind Yankees, Boston, Cleveland, Houston, Angels.
They need to get to work.

Only one other team gets to play a lot of games against KC, Chicago and Detroit. Advantage Twins.
  • Thrylos, howieramone2, gheggs42 and 1 other like this

#28 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

How did I miss that 'Lil Gardy got promoted? He must really get after it as a coach.

• Vanimal46 and JonLewisFord like this

#29 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Have faith, Twins fans. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few bullpen signings before a potential bigger signing. Darvish is the guy we're all dreaming of, but a big signing will take some time, and we need bullpen help too. Front office has been great so far this offseason, looking forward to seeing what they can do 

I'm not as worried about them over the long haul as I was, but what exactly have they done so far this offseason that earns them a "great"?

#30 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

Don't forget that the Mariners are still playing for either the division or the wild card.It is time to move some prospect chips into the table before all the big dogs get going.There are going to be a few fire sales this winter.Let's get the prime and not the scraps from these teams (Tampa and Kansas City now), probably Toronto , Baltimore and either the Rangers, Mariners, or Angels later.Stanton to the Yankees really changed the landscape and Twins need to decide direction now.Next winter will be too late.

#31 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

We are going to get scraps.That's what we do.The big dogs eat first.

big dog supports this message

• ashbury, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 9 others like this

#32 South Dakota Tom

South Dakota Tom

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

The very reason everyone is salivating over landing immediate help is the same reason the Twins have often been slow to do so.  This is often a time that large contracts get signed, and the players who remain become a much better bargain, either in terms of contracts or trading of prospects.   

While we may not love the idea of waiting, and plenty of criticism will be heaped upon the front office if they don't sign someone of substance in the next few days, the price for a player who is not snatched up this week could drop.  If that means the Rays start to panic a little, or Pirates, because the front line free agents and trades are made for starting pitching, maybe it saves us a prospect or two when we talk to them a week from now.

• howieramone2 likes this

#33 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

The very reason everyone is salivating over landing immediate help is the same reason the Twins have often been slow to do so.  This is often a time that large contracts get signed, and the players who remain become a much better bargain, either in terms of contracts or trading of prospects.   

While we may not love the idea of waiting, and plenty of criticism will be heaped upon the front office if they don't sign someone of substance in the next few days, the price for a player who is not snatched up this week could drop.  If that means the Rays start to panic a little, or Pirates, because the front line free agents and trades are made for starting pitching, maybe it saves us a prospect or two when we talk to them a week from now.

The price drops because they were always worth less. The agents knew it, the player knew it, and the teams knew it.  

As jimmer aptly put it above, the big dogs eat first. The weaker predators get the scraps.

Edited by Doomtints, 11 December 2017 - 08:45 AM.

• Twins33 and beckmt like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#34 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,409 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

Assuming the demand doesn't still exceed the supply, in which case even the scraps cost more than they might have a few days/weeks earlier.

It's a game of musical chairs, one chair and one contestant removed at each step - except that some years there are more chairs than contestants, and other years there are more contestants than chairs. Which contestant, or which chair, will end up left out at the end?

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelette.

#35 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

A question I've been asking myself lately is, what prospects can we give up in a trade that won't come back to bite us late (i.e. future lack of pitching depth, current bullpen struggles)

A good GM will make nobody completely untouchable. Of course it depends on the offer.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#36 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

There is no advantage to being the first team making a deal, nor any disadvantage to the team making the last deal. Santana and Castro are two of the best free agent pickups in team history, but feel free to refer to them as scrapes. I assume we will be hearing a great deal from the chronically impatient, but then again, I expect a handful of members are capable of waiting for the fat lady to sing.

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,111 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

There is no advantage to being the first team making a deal, nor any disadvantage to the team making the last deal. Santana and Castro are two of the best free agent pickups in team history, but feel free to refer to them as scrapes. I assume we will be hearing a great deal from the chronically impatient, but then again, I expect a handful of members are capable of waiting for the fat lady to sing.

Castro was signed Nov 30, Santana Dec 15.

• ashbury, Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#38 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Castro was signed Nov 30, Santana Dec 15.

By November 30 the Big Dog had scooped up the big catcher catch in the FA market. The sarcasto meter shows that Drew Butera had been already scooped up by mighty and powerful Royals 

#39 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Wait, Castro was a big signing?

Anyway, when I say the big dogs eat first, I meant when it comes to the quality of players. I cant imagine we get a player like Darvish. It never even occured to me we would get Ohtani. We shop in the Cobb/Lynn type bins. They arent exactly top notch guys, but those guys we can afford to overpay to get while still not being too big of a contract by todays standards.

Edited by jimmer, 11 December 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#40 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

I kinda agree, though I wouldn't say that Royce is the only untouchable. I'm guessing that the arms that just got added to the 40-man roster (Gonsalves, Thorpe and Little) along with Romero are probably going to be hard to part with. There is not a whole lot of upside on this staff at the moment and it would hurt to see any chance of that disappearing.

If the Angels, after the contract was signed, had buyers remorse and wanted to trade Ohtani straight up for Lewis ........

With the right deal no one is untouchable, The question should be does what you get back help you now and for how long.

Trading Thorpe as an example, could bite you on any given day. That is only a problem if what you traded him for turns out to be the second coming of Ricky Nolasco rather than Robbie Ray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: derek falvey, thad levine, paul molitor, brian dozier, nick gordon