Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins sign Braves prospect Severino

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,826 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

They used next year's pool to pay all of Severino's signing bonus.

That's a detail I'm not sure we (or even they) know. When do the books close on this year's signing pool? What if a trade is in the works that involves some pool dollars for 2017 coming our way before that deadline? Can the accounting of signings be determined at the end of the (fiscal) year to their best advantage?

Modesty, n.:Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#82 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

I really like this move. For one, they got the kid who got results. He's 17 and was one of the better GCL hitters. I know rookie ball stats are always a bit of a crap shoot, but they are far more reliable when the players putting up the numbers do so while significantly younger than their league (in this case about 3 years)...

Part of the reason that people were so high on Thorpe was not just due to his results, but because he was 17 when he put them up. I like this a lot.

Now the question... they still have 1.2 M.Can they get another one? I wouldn't mind Contreras and his 95 MPH FB.

Sounds like the team really wants Marte back and he's negotiating with them.

Yenci Pena signed with the Rangers today. Contreras is an impressive guy in his top end velo, but, man, would Del Rosario have been a great get. The Royals really got two of the absolute gems from the Braves players.

I'd love to see the Twins re-open negotiations with Mauro Bonifacio or jump in on Raimfer Salinas, one of the best prospects in Venezuela in this class.

• KGB likes this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#83 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:00 PM

That's a detail I'm not sure we (or even they) know. When do the books close on this year's signing pool? What if a trade is in the works that involves some pool dollars for 2017 coming our way before that deadline? Can the accounting of signings be determined at the end of the (fiscal) year to their best advantage?

They're only allowed to use one pool or the other. They reset each July 2nd. The current pool that ends next July 1st only has roughly $1.2M in it, so that wouldn't be enough to sign Severino. The 2018-2019 pool can be used only with these Braves prospects at this point, and the Twins would be getting likely $5.75M in 2018-2019 due to getting a comp B pick, so they would have started with one of the largest pools in baseball. However, signing a player with a qualifying offer would cost the Twins $500K in international funds.

They obviously did not have major verbal deals set up for 2018-2019, as much of the league does already, so they were willing ot spend $2.5M of that $5.75M, leaving $3.25M before signings.

• snepp, howieramone2 and Aichiman like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#84 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

One name I'd like to hear mentioned outta 1 Twins Way - Francisco Ortiz

Could lead to...

Name

Raimfer Salinas

Antonio Cabello

Wildred Patino

Position

OF

C

OF

MLB Pipeline

Just happens to train all three

Edited by tvagle, 09 December 2017 - 11:12 PM.

"We were open for business on several players, but just couldn't put a deal together that we liked...our biggest pickups will really be the return of All-Stars Sano and Santana as well as the Platinum Defensive player of the year in Buxton...adding those three to our lineup in the second half without mortgaging any future assets is really the best of both worlds"

#85 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

Just for the sake of argument, in a month, could the Twins trade Seattle's prospect back to them for $1.5m in this year's intl bonus pool, which would be enough that we could afford the $2.5m in this year's pool.

Basically, are we locked into using next year's money, or do we have until July 1st to figure out what bucket it comes from.

#86 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,826 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

They're only allowed to use one pool or the other. They reset each July 2nd.

Just for the sake of argument, in a month, could the Twins trade Seattle's prospect back to them for $1.5m in this year's intl bonus pool, which would be enough that we could afford the $2.5m in this year's pool.

Basically, are we locked into using next year's money, or do we have until July 1st to figure out what bucket it comes from.

The July 2 date was the information I was looking for - thanks.That's a lot farther away than I realized.

Yes, amjgt captured what I was trying to ask before. I imagine the team has to specify which pool the money will come from, and probably well before July in this case, but might it not have to be until after the player passes the physical and the contract is completed? Is there still time to augment this year's pool enough to afford the player?

In any case, this IFA pool money concept is becoming more interesting. It is the new PTBNL, and potentially much more consequential than the usual roster-filler that completes a trade.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

Modesty, n.:Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#87 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

The July 2 date was the information I was looking for - thanks.That's a lot farther away than I realized.

Yes, amjgt captured what I was trying to ask before. I imagine the team has to specify which pool the money will come from, and probably well before July in this case, but might it not have to be until after the player passes the physical and the contract is completed? Is there still time to augment this year's pool enough to afford the player?

In any case, this IFA pool money concept is becoming more interesting. It is the new PTBNL, and potentially much more consequential than the usual roster-filler that completes a trade.

Probably time to allow draft picks to be traded.

I'd couple that with removing the loss of picks tied to free agent signings, but still allowing compensation picks for net value of free agents lost (the compensation picks can't be traded).

Put more assets out there for front offices to play with.
Papers...business papers.

#88 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

It's interesting the amount of conversation about the business side of this transaction rather than the player itself. The business side of it has nothing to do with us as fans.

Severino looks like a shoo-in to make the majors. This is a pretty cool move!

#89 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Probably time to allow draft picks to be traded.

I'd couple that with removing the loss of picks tied to free agent signings, but still allowing compensation picks for net value of free agents lost (the compensation picks can't be traded).

Put more assets out there for front offices to play with.

Can you imagine what a hot mess Miami could make with that option on the table?  

• ashburyjohn, Oldgoat_MN and nytwinsfan like this

#90 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Can you imagine what a hot mess Miami could make with that option on the table?  

My thoughts exactly. Loria would be selling top draft picks for cash.

At least McCourt isn't still in the baseball ownership business.

• gunnarthor likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#91 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,442 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

It's interesting the amount of conversation about the business side of this transaction rather than the player itself. The business side of it has nothing to do with us as fans.

Severino looks like a shoo-in to make the majors. This is a pretty cool move!

A seventeen year old shoe in?

Don't get me wrong,I was calling for them to sign whichever three remaining were the best left, and I was pleased with this. But I can't say shoe in.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#92 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,278 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

My thoughts exactly. Loria would be selling top draft picks for cash.

At least McCourt isn't still in the baseball ownership business.

That he would, but I don't believe he owns the team anymore. Some guy named Jeter went in and bought it.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#93 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

That he would, but I don't believe he owns the team anymore. Some guy named Jeter went in and bought it.

Details...

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#94 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,278 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

Details...

yeah, he was part of the ownership group that purchased the Marlins recently.. Apparently, his honeymoon in South Florida is already over...

http://www.espn.com/...le-new-ballgame

• gunnarthor and Oldgoat_MN like this

#95 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,761 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thank you everyone for lending some info to this. So the Twins must've spent the remaining $1.2M or so from this year and dipped into next year's money, too.

It makes sense to do that if you're the Twins, because Severino is arguably the 2nd best prospect the Braves had to let go. The middle infielder signed with them for $1.9M and was the 8th best international prospect overall according to Baseball America. (Jelfrey Marte was #13 on their list.) He also had a nice debut in the GCL this year, as noted in previous comments. He just turned 18 years old in October.

as I understand it, you can’t mix the pools, so they still have 1.9 mil to spend this year and about 3 mil left for July 2018