Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins sign Braves prospect Severino

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Are there any penalties for using some of next years allotment? If there isn't couldn't they continue to use future money every year?

Penalties? The federal government has been doing this for years.

• Oldgoat_MN, 70charger, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#22 clutchhittin18

clutchhittin18

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOsseo, WI

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Huh. Really? Anyone have a source for this?

Yup, here is the link to the rules from mlbtraderumors: https://www.mlbtrade...rom-braves.html

• Dance with Disco Dan and MN_ExPat like this

#23 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

Money is coming back from Seattle?

Maybe I misunderstood the deals with LA and Seattle but I thought they traded for the right to spend that 1M and if they don't it comes back to MN. Now that I'm thinking about I'm guessing they would obviously spend their budget so yeah....

#24 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

In the past, I've always kind of been disappointed coming out of the winter meetings.I got a feeling this year could be different.They seem to have a pretty good idea of what they want and are pulling the trigger without hesitation.

• Danchat likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Money is coming back from Seattle?

That would be an interesting twist if the deal with the Mariners turned out to only be provisional upon them signing Ohtani or that the Twins would simply re-swap the funds should they fail in their pursuit.

Between the two players, the no-hit catcher would have been my vote to return anyway.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,842 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Given their pool for next year it was likely going to be tough to compete for the elite level guys anyway.Severino also should be more of a known quantity since he was in MiLB this year.They must have figured he was elite and they would get that elite prospect this year rather than next year.  

They appear pretty loaded with solid prospects at the lower levels they are going to have to get rid of some if they want to sign or trade for more.The DSL and GCL teams were very good last year so they have talent at those levels already.

Everyone had the same pool. Not sure I understand.
  • markos and rdehring like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#27 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

The Twins can use what's left of their 2017 pool and part of next year's pool to sign Severino. MLB decided it wouldn't be fair to those ATL players with the voided contracts to limit teams to this year's pool only. At 17-years-old, Severino ranked third in the GCL in doubles. Baseball America ranked him as their No. 15 prospect in the GCL, two spots behind Enlow. An exciting addition.

• gunnarthor, markos, Monkeypaws and 3 others like this

#28 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thank you everyone for lending some info to this. So the Twins must've spent the remaining $1.2M or so from this year and dipped into next year's money, too. 

It makes sense to do that if you're the Twins, because Severino is arguably the 2nd best prospect the Braves had to let go. The middle infielder signed with them for $1.9M and was the 8th best international prospect overall according to Baseball America. (Jelfrey Marte was #13 on their list.) He also had a nice debut in the GCL this year, as noted in previous comments. He just turned 18 years old in October. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#29 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

The Twins played Seattle like a fiddle. There's a reason why their trade with the M's was announced prior to their deal with LAA. And then right after Ohtani makes his announcement, the Twins go out and sign the best player the Mariners could have invested those 2017 dollars in. Ouch. Well played, Falvine.

• Twins33, Danchat, Bob Sacamento and 4 others like this

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

The Twins can use what's left of their 2017 pool and part of next year's pool to sign Severino. MLB decided it wouldn't be fair to those ATL players with the voided contracts to limit teams to this year's pool only. At 17-years-old, Severino ranked third in the GCL in doubles. Baseball America ranked him as their No. 15 prospect in the GCL, two spots behind Enlow. An exciting addition.

Not sure about that, this is from the mlbtraderumors article:

MLB teams will be allowed a fresh $200K of bonus pool space to work with to sign any of these prospects. They may elect to draw from either their current signing period pool allocation or that of the 2018-19 period (but not both).

So it is likely they have to use next year (and squander the bonus $200k), unless the trade to add space. That would be something.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, KGB and 3 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#31 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

So it is likely they have to use next year (and squander the bonus $200k), unless the trade to add space. That would be something.

Ah ok, so it was either/or but not a little bit of both.

• gunnarthor likes this

#32 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

As I understand the rules, for the Atlanta players only, a team could use this year's pool or the pool from next year.They could not, however, combine the two.So they are either using $2.5mm from this year or $2.5mm from next year.Considering they only had about $1.25mm remaining this year, it seems to be next year's money.That is unless there was some provision in the Mariner's trade that it would be voided if they didn't get Ohtani, or perhaps the Twins would replace it with a prospect.They cannot give them some of next year's money because these International monies cannot be traded until the year of use actually begins.

Another possibility is that the $2.5mm is not accurate.Seems a lot for a kid who signed for less than that last year and gets to keep those dollars.But maybe he looked great this past season and is worth it.  

• Mike Sixel and KirbyDome89 like this

#33 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

Ah ok, so it was either/or but not a little bit of both.

According to mlbtraderumors, which might not be accurate. But that was my understanding when I first heard about the situation when the penalties dropped.

Still some things to shake out, there will be teams (ahem, Mariners), that could be caught holding extra money they would now want to dump. Twins may still add back money.

Papers...business papers.

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,842 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

Interesting. So they spent next year's money. Let's hope they use this year's too.
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#35 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

I thought it was slotted 

https://www.baseball...FyaaAyG3gtR6.97

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

There are still plenty of teams holding international bonus money, not just the Mariners either. Could be the Twins are about to re-acquire some, plenty of folks here already thought they were nuts leaving some of the younger guys unprotected for the Rule 5. Does Kohl Stewart bring back a couple hundred K?

#37 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

• Dance with Disco Dan and nytwinsfan like this

#38 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

I thought it was slotted 

https://www.baseball...FyaaAyG3gtR6.97

That changed this past year with the new CBA.All teams now have the same amount of dollars, with the exception of a few teams getting about a half million extra because of certain factors.I think this only affects a handful of teams, of which the Twins are one next year I believe.

#39 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

That changed this past year with the new CBA.All teams now have the same amount of dollars, with the exception of a few teams getting about a half million extra because of certain factors.I think this only affects a handful of teams, of which the Twins are one next year I believe.

OK please ignore me then.

#40 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,453 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

The winning quote regarding Severino comes from CBS:

"Although it's unlikely that the infielder will see the major-league diamond in 2018, he projects to be a key part of the future in Minnesota."

Where do they find those people? 

He is a switch hitter, but as a lefty he hit a lofty .303/.365/.451.That said he is probably the 8th or so best middle infielder the Twins have...

• brvama likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98