Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins sign Braves prospect Severino

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

I know they can use next year's pool, but now I'm baffled by the trades a couple of days ago.
Papers...business papers.

#2 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

How does using some of next year's pool money this year effect next year?

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

How does using some of next year's pool money this year effect next year?

They have less to spend next year. And, like Jim,I am now confused about the recent trades

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,599 posts

I know they can use next year's pool, but now I'm baffled by the trades a couple of days ago.

Do you have a link with the specifics? As far as I could tell even after the trades the Twins still had over a million left to spend from last year's pool.

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Any way to add top flight talent. Might be a precursor to a Gordon trade. Really like this move.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

Any way to add top flight talent. Might be a precursor to a Gordon trade. Really like this move.

Gordon is in AAA, and ready to maybe help. How are these connected?

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Wow, Severino originally signed for 1.9m. Good for him.

From the fangraphs write up - https://www.fangraph...-and-its-harsh/

"Signed for $1.9 million out of the Dominican Republic, Severino is a switch-hitting middle infielder with surprising power for his size. Scouts think his long-term defensive home is second base and are skeptical about his long-term ability to make contact. He takes big, violent swings but still hit .286/.345/.444 in the GCL this year."

• Dance with Disco Dan likes this

#8 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

One of the 12 prospects granted free agency as part of the Braves' sanctions for violating international signing guidelines, Severino has to be considered one of the biggest losses for Atlanta. The 18-year-old was ranked as the No. 8 international prospect by Baseball America at the time of his agreement with Atlanta last summer, and will now become a part of the Twins' organization following one last workout in front of scouts earlier this week. In the Gulf Coast League last season, Severino slashed .286/.345/.444 with three home runs, 19 extra-base hits and 27 RBI in 48 games. Although it's unlikely that the infielder will see the major-league diamond in 2018, he projects to be a key part of the future in Minnesota.

https://www.cbssport...d-to-minnesota/

• beckmt, Dance with Disco Dan, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#9 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

So one of the Braves released international prospects just signed with the Twins. I don' thave time to get all the details about Yunior Severino, but I trust the community will fill in the blanks below. 

One questions: I didn't think the Twins had $2.5M left in international money. Anyone know what's up?

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

I'm pretty sure Severino was in Atlanta's loaded system's top 20 prospects. I imagine he'd be in our top 15ish area. Nice get. He's got some work to do but he's increased his value after one season, which is a nice thing.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, RaymondLuxuryYacht and 1 other like this

#11 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

As far as I can understand it, they can use money from next year's pool towards any of the Braves players signed this year.

• h2oface and Bob Sacamento like this

#12 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

Somewhere around 1.2 M left left over from the trades plus what now comes back from Seattle right? Doesn't that put them very close to 2.5 M? Or is that way off?

Edited by KirbyDome89, 08 December 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

Somewhere around 1.2 M left left over from the trades plus what now comes back from Seattle right? Doesn't that put them very close to 2.5 M?

Money is coming back from Seattle?

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

I'm pretty sure Severino was in Atlanta's loaded system's top 20 prospects. I imagine he'd be in our top 15ish area. Nice get. He's got some work to do but he's increased his value after one season, which is a nice thing.

It was certainly a good get. He could arguably be considered the best option out there from Atlanta. I very much endorse the move. But now it looks like they are going to sit out the elite international guys next year (perhaps that was already a foregone conclusion with the deals in place) after the two trades earlier.

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

It was certainly a good get. He could arguably be considered the best option out there from Atlanta. I very much endorse the move. But now it looks like they are going to sit out the elite international guys next year (perhaps that was already a foregone conclusion with the deals in place) after the two trades earlier.

Right. Those two guys they traded for are going to need to be good, because they are likely out of the elite level next year now.

#16 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

They have less to spend next year. And, like Jim,I am now confused about the recent trades

Are there any penalties for using some of next years allotment? If there isn't couldn't they continue to use future money every year?

• tarheeltwinsfan and Aichiman like this

#17 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,875 posts

As far as I can understand it, they can use money from next year's pool towards any of the Braves players signed this year.

Huh. Really? Anyone have a source for this?

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,010 posts

Are there any penalties for using some of next years allotment? If there isn't couldn't they continue to use future money every year?

This is a once allowed thing, only for the braves prospects recently let free.
  • markos, Bob Sacamento and MN_ExPat like this

#19 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

Right. Those two guys they traded for are going to need to be good, because they are likely out of the elite level next year now.

Twins might not be in on any of the top talent next year anyway. My understanding is those relationships are built in advance of the signing period and the likely destinations for most of those kids are pretty well known in advance.

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Huh. Really? Anyone have a source for this?

It's true. One time deal specifically for the Braves prospects set free this offseason.

• h2oface and MN_ExPat like this