Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Shohei Ohtani signs with Angels

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,012 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

I cannot wrap my head around why he chose the Angels. If I had my choice of teams to join, the Angels wouldn't be higher than mid-pack, tops.

They don't have anything going for them past Mike Trout, really. They're not a bad team but they are the type of team that will be extremely hard to improve because there's very little internal help on the horizon. Every improvement made to the team will come via bloated free agency contracts.

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,894 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

I cannot wrap my head around why he chose the Angels. If I had my choice of teams to join, the Angels wouldn't be higher than mid-pack, tops.

They don't have anything going for them past Mike Trout, really. They're not a bad team but they are the type of team that will be extremely hard to improve because there's very little internal help on the horizon. Every improvement made to the team will come via bloated free agency contracts.

Their short stop was awesome last year. They also have, um, agreed, actually.
  • Twins33 likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

My guess would be that he wanted to be in LA, possibly due to the high end sushi restaurants, and the Angels gave him a better opportunity to be a 2 way player than the Dodgers.

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,894 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

The angels GM has been scouting him since high school. From what I read, it is about relationships, and commitment.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,470 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

Special but not Invincible.This is a great writeup by BA on Otani.It is based on American players who played with him in Japan and comparing him to other players.Really well done and worth a read.Not sure whether it is behind a paywall, but it does not look like it is

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,478 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

Special but not Invincible.This is a great writeup by BA on Otani.It is based on American players who played with him in Japan and comparing him to other players.Really well done and worth a read.Not sure whether it is behind a paywall, but it does not look like it is

"He's not your everyday Japanese player. He's 6-foot-5, 6-6 and he's huge"

B-r.com lists him at 6'3" and 189. Tall for a Japanese ballplayer, no doubt. He's not some kind of sumo wrestler though. A bit tall and perhaps borderline gangly, for an athlete, judging from those stats. Particularly if height is usually fudged by at least an inch in Japan as is often done here.

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#27 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

#28 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

The teams knew about this:

'While a first-degree sprain is the least severe of UCL injuries, further damage could lead to Tommy John surgery, a reconstructive procedure that sidelines pitchers for a year. The shot of PRP, a biologic of centrifuge-spun blood that is used to promote healing, was administered Oct. 20, according to the report, which was distributed to teams after Ohtani entered Major League Baseball’s posting system. Ohtani, the report said, “will be most likely available to start his throwing program approximately a month from the PRP.” Sports Illustrated first reported that Ohtani had received the PRP shot.

Edited by jimmer, 12 December 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#29 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

Still scary. Usually those shots don't work so wouldn't be surprised if he gets TJ this year.
  • jimmer likes this

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

Still scary. Usually those shots don't work so wouldn't be surprised if he gets TJ this year.

Tanaka has been getting the same injections for 2 years now and avoided TJS. 

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#31 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

Tanaka has been getting the same injections for 2 years now and avoided TJS.

Which is why I said usually and not never. I know it's worked a couple of times, but the majority of the time it hasn't.

I hope it works for him and he does well, just not against the Twins.