Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Reviewing Seth's Preliminary Top 50 Twins Prospect Rankings

royce lewis jacob pearson david banuelos stephen gonsalves nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:05 AM

I'd guess mid to high teens

#42 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

I'd guess mid to high teens

Seems about right. Based on Seth's list, I'd have #16, and bump Pearson well behind him.
Papers...business papers.

#43 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

I mean, if you go strictly on what they paid him, he should be around Enlow. Realistically, in an open market, as is the case with Intl free agents, you'll have to overpay a bit. So he's probably 4-5 spots worse than Enlow

Edited by amjgt, 10 December 2017 - 08:14 AM.

#44 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

Seth, Where would Severino rank? And did we move back to a top 10 farm system with these new prospects?

I'm thinking he'd be just outside the top 10, similar ranking to Pearson, probably just ahead of him... 

#45 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

I have a curiousity question. I heard Stephan Gonsalves mentioned on MLB radio but the "expert" pronounced his last name as Gonzales. Is that correct? I have not heard anyone in the Twins organization verbally say his name so I don't know. And I now live in Maine where nothing is pronounced correctly so that doesn't help matters. Aye-yah?

It's Gone-Saul-Viss...

#46 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

Twinstalker - Pearson is just out of high school, trying to adjust to the rigors of professional baseball, and you've already decided he will never get anything beyond a "cup of coffee?" That's harsh. Give him time to figure out how to be an adult before you throw him out with the bath water.

I absolutely love it when someone argues against something they wanted me to say instead of what I said."Why, yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again...Pearson will NEVER have more than a cup of coffee in MLB."This, according to you, is what I said.Thanks bunch.

Also, as far as potential goes, 80% (made up) of players have some sort of really high ceiling they'll never reach.In Pearson's case, his potential if all goes right is said to be 20/20.Again, in a vacuum, who would you take if you had to choose a player for the franchise you're starting, Zach Littell or Pearson?I highly doubt more than a very small percentage would take Pearson.I doubt Seth would, which is what I'm arguing.

#47 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,329 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

Twinstalker - Pearson is just out of high school, trying to adjust to the rigors of professional baseball, and you've already decided he will never get anything beyond a "cup of coffee?" That's harsh. Give him time to figure out how to be an adult before you throw him out with the bath water.

What he said was ".It's likely he'll never have more than a cup of coffee.." [emphasis added]

#48 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

In one sense, the most interesting players this year are Gordon, Gonsalves, Romero, Rooker, Thorpe, Littell, Jay and Stewart, because they each could play a significant role on the 2019 team. Granite, Slegers and Garver will likely be on that team, also, but their impact may be lesser. (Anything Jorge provides will be a pleasant surprise to me.) hopefully, May also gets ramped up in AAA. As a source of potential impact talent, Rochester is going to be bigger than it has in years.
  • birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#49 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,228 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

I have a curiousity question. I heard Stephan Gonsalves mentioned on MLB radio but the "expert" pronounced his last name as Gonzales. Is that correct? I have not heard anyone in the Twins organization verbally say his name so I don't know. And I now live in Maine where nothing is pronounced correctly so that doesn't help matters. Aye-yah?

Gonsalves is of Portuguese origin, Gonzales is of Spanish.Different names from different origins.Likely lazy expert, in the manner of Bert as far as finding out name pronunciations.

• Deduno Abides likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#50 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

Gonsalves is of Portuguese origin, Gonzales is of Spanish.Different names from different origins.Likely lazy expert, in the manner of Bert as far as finding out name pronunciations.

Or a typo. Or an auto-correct. My home computer tried to correct Gonsalves to a 'more common' Gonzalez until I taught it otherwise.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#51 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:04 PM

Or a typo. Or an auto-correct. My home computer tried to correct Gonsalves to a 'more common' Gonzalez until I taught it otherwise.

The radio auto-corrects now? Oh boy is technology passing me by!

#52 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,895 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

The radio auto-corrects now? Oh boy is technology passing me by!

Oh, d’oh! Forgot where that started. I still don’t fault them overly much.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#53 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

See and I think he's ranked way too high. He seems like a 4th OF type to me - I don't see him ever being an average starter. With his lack of pop and average OBP skills, he's got to hit over .300 to be an offensive plus. I just don't really see that happening. If he hits .270, he's got to be an elite defensive CF. He's fine out there but not elite.

Yeah, I don't know much myself, but I find myself thinking of Granite more in the Tyner Maestro Shane Robinson Alex Pressly category.

#54 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

Who said Kirriloff is too high?? just bc he had TJ surgery? was Appy league player of the year..

Hope you're right with Silva.

Socialization issues.

#55 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,821 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

My two cents, but a lot of guys on this list have a legit chance to be in the top 100 next year at this time. Yeah, there's no Buxton/Sano there right now, but I wouldn't write that off just yet. Most everyone in the top 10 (who aren't already in the top 100) if they make steps forward will get national love. Guys like Palacios, Littlel, Severino, Miranda, etc. could all be in that conversation too if things break right. It's a very deep system with lots of upside. Hopefully, we get some good answers to a lot of the question marks.

#56 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

Socialization issues.

Birdwatcher :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, jacob pearson, david banuelos, stephen gonsalves, nick gordon