Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cubs sign Chatwood - 3/38m

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Why? They have the money.

Levine also said something like they'd rather spend money than trade assets. It's on Wolfson's latest interview with him on his 1500 podcast.

I know Wolfson has said for awhile now that he expects Falvey/Levine to make a trade for a SP.

#42 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Because we could use that money to extend that pitcher.

#43 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,053 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

I would much rather try and trade for a controllable pitcher, even if we have to over pay with prospects.

Both valid points; it seems to me the only fair thing to do to settle this debate is do both.

• USAFChief likes this

#44 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

So you think the Twins will sign Lynn or Cobb at somewhere around 4 years beween 60 - 70 million. I would much rather try and trade for a controllable pitcher, even if we have to over pay with prospects.

I am firmly in the camp that believes payroll will always be around 110m or so another SP at 15m/year is doable for four years. After that, it might not be. 

I'm ok with putting a package of Gordon, Romero/Gonsalves and, say, Thorpe for a solid pitcher but I'm not sure who/where we'd find that.

#45 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

I'm really happy we didn't sign Chatwood. I hope we don't sign anyone else like him. I think we have enough 4/5 rotational options. If we want to move the needle we need to sign or trade for a 1-3 guy. I don't want to "just get" to the playoffs again. I want to make some noise. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

I'm really happy we didn't sign Chatwood. I hope we don't sign anyone else like him. I think we have enough 4/5 rotational options. If we want to move the needle we need to sign or trade for a 1-3 guy. I don't want to "just get" to the playoffs again. I want to make some noise.

There might be one of those in FA this year. You think the Twins will win that bidding? If not, trade it is. How is trading good prospects better than spending money?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#47 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

There might be one of those in FA this year. You think the Twins will win that bidding? If not, trade it is. How is trading good prospects better than spending money?

You only see one FA who is a 1-3 guy? 

Darvish (probably won't get)

Arrietta (probably won't get)

Cobb

Lynn

Pineda, Tillman, Smyly and Vargas are border line 3's

I really don't care if we sign a FA or trade. I'm ok trading prospects right now. We are ready to win now.

DeGrom

Cole 

Bundy/Gausman (maybe not available?)

Teheran

Fulmer (if they want to completely rebuild)

Manaea

Velasquez

I'm not saying that I think we will make a big splash. But if we want to win playoff games, we need to. 

• beckmt likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#48 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

So, don't add any pitching this year? Or just flyer types?

This is getting old. I haven't said that. I have said that Chatwood isn't a good pitcher and definitely not one that I spend 3/38 on.

This is basically the first major pitching move (Otani is the 2nd) that has occurred this offseason. You can't honestly tell me that Chatwood was your #1 option this offseason and now the Twins will have to change plans because he is off the board.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#49 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,869 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Who is left that is better, and cheap enough that they will also sign relief help?

A trade target.Archer, one of the Mets' starters, one of the Dodgers' starters, Cole. etc etc.

• kab21 likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#50 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

They'd better have a plan to fix this:

Worst K:BB Ratios 2016-17 (min 300 IP)
Martin Perez 1.57
Tyler Chatwood 1.61
Kyle Gibson 1.96
Wade Miley 1.96
Luis Perdomo 2.02

Apparently so should the Twins.
  • Tom Froemming likes this

#51 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

That was the reason that Denver was thought of as a horrible place to pitch.Allegedly

The reason that Denver is a terrible place to pitch has never, ever been about home runs to any player or informed person about the game.

The thin air of Coors drastically affects spin rates. Greg Maddux used to say that he could pick the wings off of a fly with his change up in normal elevation, but he'd have trouble hitting the catcher's mitt in Colorado because he had such spin on his change. He's one of those guys who would likely break all sorts of Statcast spin rate records the way his fastball, curve, and change would move at less than max effort or premium velocity.

Charlie Morton just got done having the postseason of a lifetime by and large due to his spin rate on his sinking fastball and his curve. Both are dwarfed by the same rates for Chatwood. Morton likely made Chatwood a lot of money, but Coors absolutely affected how he could pitch, having to scrap his two best pitches at home and then find the feel for them on the road. It's a pretty insane thing to do to a pitcher.

I'm not sure I would call this a bargain, but Chatwood would have definitely been on my short list of preferred targets behind the top 4 on the market.

• Twins33, beckmt, dbminn and 1 other like this

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#52 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,053 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

You only see one FA who is a 1-3 guy? 

Darvish (probably won't get)
Arrietta (probably won't get)
Cobb
Lynn
Pineda, Tillman, Smyly and Vargas are border line 3's

I really don't care if we sign a FA or trade. I'm ok trading prospects right now. We are ready to win now.

DeGrom
Cole 
Bundy/Gausman (maybe not available?)
Teheran
Fulmer (if they want to completely rebuild)
Manaea
Velasquez

I'm not saying that I think we will make a big splash. But if we want to win playoff games, we need to.

I'm ok trading too, some of those trade targets you listed interest me, but the Twins don't need a #1-3, they need a #1. If the best this team does is acquire a 2nd or 3rd tier starter then we already need to start capping our hopes with another token playoff appearance and early exit.