Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Acquire Two Prospects For International Bonus Money

david banuelos shohei ohtani jelfry marte jacob pearson
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

I kind of like that these guys are both 2017 draft picks for two reasons.

1) To build a sustained period of success, the Twins are going to need another group of prospects to take the places of this group once they graduate to free agency. We got to experience that in the '00s years, when Mientkiewicz, Koskie, Jones, etc were replace by Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel. With some high end talent banging around in the lower minors right now, like Royce Lewis, there's hope that the Twins could see a similar handoff from this group to another group. This adds to that chance.

2) So far, this front office looks pretty astute at gauging draft prospects (knock, knock). Royce Lewis looks tremendous. Rooker is obviously pretty exciting. It stands to reason these were guys that they liked but missed out on and have continued to target. 

I agree with #1 - if the new FO can keep the window of opportunity open it'll be because they were able to bring up another wave of prospects like Ryan was able to do.

But #2 - we're too far away from having an idea on that. Yes the draft looks good but these kids have been playing ball for 3 months. Way too early to determine if they drafted well.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#42 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

I thought you had to wait a year from the time they were drafted before you can trade a prospect. Guess I was wrong

#43 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

I thought you had to wait a year from the time they were drafted before you can trade a prospect. Guess I was wrong

They changed it to after the world series.

• nytwinsfan, twinssouth, HitInAPinch and 2 others like this

#44 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

We seem happy that the Twins did something. But are these good values? Are each of these players worth $1M?

#45 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

We seem happy that the Twins did something. But are these good values? Are each of these players worth $1M?

We’re not paying $1M. We’re paying the opportunity of spending $1M. Falvine likely didn’t see better options remaining. Still have $1M
  • kenbuddha, gagu and Tom Froemming like this

#46 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure but I think it's roughly fair. 1m on the IBP isn't all that much - most elite players sign for more and you can go the quantity route and nab some guys for less - so I think what we got in return - avg ML regular guys as ceilings - is decent. Also, we're not paying money (Pohlad = cheap) but rather giving our ability to spend money to the other teams. 

At the end of the day, I think this was a defensible move and far better than not doing anything (which is what I thought they'd do) but it's also not evidence that Levine is playing three dimensional chess while Ryan would be playing checkers. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Doomtints like this

#47 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

The Angels just signed Kevin Maitan for $2.2MM of international bonus money after his contract with the Braves was voided due to the international signing scandal. He was a top 50 prospect in all of baseball. Who knows if we could have signed him if we threw more $ at him or if we tried, but that would appear on its face to be a better usage of that money than the two we got. Time will tell though and Falvine’s moves thus far in acquiring young talent have been impressive (e.g., 2017 Draft + 2017 Trades).

If you ask me, the Angels overpaid for Maitan after all this.

Maitan was not anything close to good this year in his first season and won't be a top 50, let alone top 100 guy anymore.

He was #77 on Baseball America, #32 on MLB.com, and #100 on Baseball Prospectus going into 2017.

• Thrylos, kab21, Tom Froemming and 1 other like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#48 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

It stands to reason these were guys that they liked but missed out on and have continued to target. 

This. As soon as I saw they were guys from the last draft, I figured they had been on the acquire radar of the current FO. Solid move using opportunity cost that is about to expire to add apparent desired depth to the system.

• ashburyjohn, gagu and MN_ExPat like this

#49 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

I think it depends on how you look at it. The Angels gave Pearson a one million dollar bonus to sign and the Twins gave them one million to spend on the international market.Seems like a pretty straight up trade there to me.Also I think most teams would probably give up one million to get get an extra third round pick. And yet by giving up that money it means they cannot spend it on an international player that might have better potential than Pearson.Or if they didn't manage to spend all the money then they get nothing.

The catcher for me is a bit of head scratcher.He was a 5th round draft choice that signed for $300,000.His floor seems to be great defensive catcher.He has a good eye at the plate but not a lot of power potential.He was a finalist for the Bench award but to me it seems like an over pay for us.I don't know that he will even be in our top 30 so I don't know what drove them to make that trade.I am no scout so I assume they see greater potential there than I do.

Both players have good potential and the Twins essentially got two extra 2017 draft picks for free, depending on how you look at it.Depth is a good thing so IMO they came out very good to OK with these deals.  

• Doomtints likes this

#50 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

At the end of the day, I think this was a defensible move and far better than not doing anything (which is what I thought they'd do) but it's also not evidence that Levine is playing three dimensional chess while Ryan would be playing checkers.

I would venture to say that your chess/checkers opinion would be very different if the prospects were ranked a lot higher. However, I'm also pretty confident in guessing that the Twins asked for more and were turned down. To me, good move and I hope in three years it looks like it looks like great moves.
  • Doomtints and MN_ExPat like this

#51 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Regardless of how the prospects turn out, this is EXACTLY what you should do if you have no real plans to spend that pool money this year.Nice move by the new regime

• Carole Keller, twinssouth, dbminn and 5 others like this

#52 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

It's not really $2 million, the Twins didn't send over the money. They traded the ability to spend $2 million in the international marketplace. So it comes down to an opportunity cost thing - are these two players (plus the saved $2 million) better than the players the Twins could have gotten in the international market?

I'd argue that once Maitan was gone, the Twins probably used this money as well as it can be. Especially since they still have $1.2 million they can use on Marte or another prospect. You could argue they should have gone after Maitan two weeks ago but that would have meant giving up their one advantage in the Ohtani sweepstakes, money. I'm glad the front office took a swing at Ohtani rather than the safe play of Maitan, even if it means we are where we are now and missed out on both. Ohtani could have changed the trajectory of the franchise, you have to swing for the fences sometimes.

• Twins33, DocBauer, gagu and 4 others like this

#53 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

MLB.com ranks Pearson 22 in the Twins system. The mariners prospect is not listed in our top 30

I am glad that MLB.com thinks well of Pearson but I will not understand (or fully credit) their prospect list until they learn about Akil Baddoo. He played great in the Appy League (.357/.478/.579) and is two months younger than Pearson who struggled in Rookie ball. Normally, I'd chalk it up to MLB.com still catching up on a blossoming, late-round prospect but Baddoo was a second-round pick (74th overall). 

As for the trade, I think this is a good use of the remaining pool funds particularly since some of the premium, available Braves prospects have signed elsewhere. I was really hoping that they'd get at least one but didn't immediately realize that teams were allowed to dip into next year's pool to sign those guys reducing the Twins' purchasing power with $3m+ left in this year's pool. 

Catching depth and a young player reputed to have plus speed and good bat speed are always welcome additions to the farm system.

#54 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

We’re not paying $1M. We’re paying the opportunity of spending $1M. Falvine likely didn’t see better options remaining. Still have $1M

No "we" don't. The Twins lost this money.

So, are these players collectively worth $2M?

#55 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

So it comes down to an opportunity cost thing - are these two players (plus the saved $2 million) better than the players the Twins could have gotten in the international market?

Not sure what your point is because you're arguing something that has nothing to do with what I asked. Did the Twins get a good deal? Were these players worth the lost $2M in "opportunity cost" (or whatever term you or anyone else choose to use)? Or should the Twins have used the money to pick up some international free agents? Did the new front office just help other teams more than what the Twins got in return?

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,285 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

Underwhelming, but not sure what else they could do if they didn't like the braves players. Once they took the money away from a poor person, I wondered what their plans were for it
  • gunnarthor likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#57 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

Not sure what your point is because you're arguing something that has nothing to do with what I asked. Did the Twins get a good deal? Were these players worth the lost $2M in "opportunity cost" (or whatever term you or anyone else choose to use)? Or should the Twins have used the money to pick up some international free agents? Did the new front office just help other teams more than what the Twins got in return?

Considering the other options, once the top 2-3 Braves prospects came off the board, it was probably worth it.
  • Doomtints likes this
Papers...business papers.

#58 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

I am glad that MLB.com thinks well of Pearson but I will not understand (or fully credit) their prospect list until they learn about Akil Baddoo. He played great in the Appy League (.357/.478/.579) and is two months younger than Pearson who struggled in Rookie ball. Normally, I'd chalk it up to MLB.com still catching up on a blossoming, late-round prospect but Baddoo was a second-round pick (74th overall). 

As for the trade, I think this is a good use of the remaining pool funds particularly since some of the premium, available Braves prospects have signed elsewhere. I was really hoping that they'd get at least one but didn't immediately realize that teams were allowed to dip into next year's pool to sign those guys reducing the Twins' purchasing power with $3m+ left in this year's pool. 

Catching depth and a young player reputed to have plus speed and good bat speed are always welcome additions to the farm system.

Keep in mind these rankings have not been updated since last offseason. They "update" the rankings by slotting players in as drafted/acquired, but they don't re-rank them until late January. Baddoo will be much higher this year.

• markos likes this
Papers...business papers.

#59 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

They changed it to after the world series.

Thanks for the update

#60 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

To recap...

• The batch of prospects freed up from Atlanta was "only" 12 guys.
  • Based on the apparent weakness of the Angels minor league system, they may not be the best judge of talent. If they spent $2.2 million on Maitan, he may not be worth that.
  • If the "best" prospect is not worth $2.2 million and there were only 12 new guys for 30 teams to go after, it seems reasonable to think that the Twins were going to have a hard time spending the entire $3+ million within the needed timeframe

Instead, the Twins got...

• A "free" 3rd rounder that likely fell (according to one report, apparently, from as high as the low 1st round)
  • A "free" 5th rounder at a position that doesn't have much depth
  • And still have a bit of international money to spend on someone from the batch of Braves prospects, if desired. Or to trade to one of the other teams in the Ohtani derby. 

That sounds like a win to me. The only question is whether they might have gotten even more from the Angels or Mariners, but I'm glad to trust the Falvine wisdom on this. I doubt they only made two calls on this.

• Steve Lein, Twins33, Tuba and 12 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: david banuelos, shohei ohtani, jelfry marte, jacob pearson