Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Acquire Two Prospects For International Bonus Money

david banuelos shohei ohtani jelfry marte jacob pearson
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#21 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:02 PM

The Otani insanity begins. Strike while the iron is hot.

• sploorp and gagu like this

#22 Penthang

Penthang

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

More prospects = more opportunities for someone to be really good. I like this move. While they may not be top 10 prospects in the Twins system right now who knows how they will develop this next season and where they could be this time next year?
  • James, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this

--Twins Fan From Texas

#23 sploorp

sploorp

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

How about the Padres?Don't they have a reliever or two the Twins could maybe trade the rest of their international money for?

• Hosken Bombo Disco and HitInAPinch like this

#24 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

I'm not opposed to this move but it's not something to get too excited about yet. Both are probably outside our top 20 prospects but are probably better bets than 16 year old kids so I'm good with it.

• Jerr, JustinCB and AWOLNATION_11 like this

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:04 AM

• Mike Frasier Law, bdodge22, nytwinsfan and 3 others like this

#26 JustinCB

JustinCB

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:15 AM

This was the type of stuff that got Cleveland and Texas so good and that the twins never have done well (that is, for example, taking advantage of the Ohtani situation to void Marte -and don't tell me they didnt- and leverage the money to sign a couple more-advanced C+/B- Prospects.) This probably isn't going to move the needle much on its own, but here and there these types of things will payoff. Sounds better than the pet projects Terry Ryan couldn't give up on after half a decade or more

Edited by JustinCB, 07 December 2017 - 01:18 AM.

• Blake, Jerr, James and 8 others like this

#27 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:44 AM

Why all the kindness for the Angels and the Mariners. We got them between the rock and the hard place. They BOTH need international bonus money in the hope of signing Ohtani and the Twins, now out of that contention, have international money to burn. Why didn't we go for the throat and put the squeeze on both of them for a better return? Seems like we could have done much better. I would like to see the ppitch package prepared by the Twins for Ohtani - Could it have been better? Can we sue him for Scandahoovian Discrimination against the Twins?
  • terrydactyls1947 likes this

#28 TL

TL

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:59 AM

Using the money (at no actual expense) versus not using it is the obviously right decision. Had to look it up to confirm but the money does not roll over so it would have been lost. The only question I have is whether they used it to acquire the right player(s). The Angels just signed Kevin Maitan for $2.2MM of international bonus money after his contract with the Braves was voided due to the international signing scandal. He was a top 50 prospect in all of baseball. Who knows if we could have signed him if we threw more $ at him or if we tried, but that would appear on its face to be a better usage of that money than the two we got. Time will tell though and Falvineā€™s moves thus far in acquiring young talent have been impressive (e.g., 2017 Draft + 2017 Trades).
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#29 T_J

T_J

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:23 AM

It's kind of nice to see how the Twins system stacks up with a couple other, seemingly, random teams. 

• birdwatcher and Ski U Mah Gopher like this

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:10 AM

Neither system is great either. Doubt either prospect is top 30 for Twins. Still makes sense.
  • Ski U Mah Gopher likes this
Papers...business papers.

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,511 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:10 AM

none of these guys hit very well, and one isn't even known for his defense. I'm a bit underwhelmed here. I'd have rather blown the entire 3.2 on a much better prospect.

• USAFChief, gunnarthor, Dantes929 and 1 other like this

#32 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,053 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:23 AM

I had sort of anticipated them blowing the whole lot of the pool money on a single pitching prospect, the best they could find. Maybe they tried that and could not find a suitable value? It just seems to me that the money had the most return in that manner, and admittedly the most risk. This isn't intended as a criticism, simply an uneducated observation.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#33 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,621 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

How about the Padres?Don't they have a reliever or two the Twins could maybe trade the rest of their international money for?

The Padres are capped at $300,000 because they over spent last year. 

The Dodgers, Giants and Cubs have the same penalty. 

They can't add money. Oops!

If Otani signs with any of those 4 teams... It will be pretty clear that Money was absolutely not a factor. 

Only the Rangers, Mariners and Angels can get in this Otani Bonus Arms Race. 

I find it interesting that the American League clubs have the bonus money and the DH. 

The National League teams don't have the DH or bonus money. 

• luckylager, Dance with Disco Dan and Hollywood42 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#34 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,621 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:09 AM

Why all the kindness for the Angels and the Mariners. We got them between the rock and the hard place. They BOTH need international bonus money in the hope of signing Ohtani and the Twins, now out of that contention, have international money to burn. Why didn't we go for the throat and put the squeeze on both of them for a better return? Seems like we could have done much better. I would like to see the ppitch package prepared by the Twins for Ohtani - Could it have been better? Can we sue him for Scandahoovian Discrimination against the Twins?

It's hard to even guess what the market would pay. 

The Twins were not the only team with extra IBP money left.

If they squeeze too hard... The Yankees can always pick up the phone and tell the Mariners and Angels that they have even more money available than the Twins do. 

The Twins front office jumped right into it and made a deal with two of the three teams that can add bonus money for Otani. 

I tip my cap to them. 

• ashburyjohn, luckylager, Blake and 9 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#35 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

See I would have them flipped. Catcher guy interests me but I'm not interested in an outfielder with zero power and can't field. Can't possibly be ahead of Rooker. Rooker was mashing.

I'm only going on the video scouting report from MLB.com, which described Pearson as having 20/20 power/speed potential, described him as a strong kid with a body that could develop, and said his only fielding weakness, throwing, should improve coming off surgery on said arm. And on a third party reference from someone on Twinkietown who said MLB.com ranked Pearson higher than any Twins OF prospect other than Kiriloff. So you could be right, but I'm going to choose to be happy that Pearson is even regarded perhaps as highly as Badoo, Rooker, and Wade. Sounds like a pretty good use of IFA money to me.

I didn't find any glowing reports on Banuelos's minor league career, but maybe I missed them. The one thing I read was a pre-draft article that categorized him more as a sleeper while over a dozen other catching prospects were showcased in the article.

Edited by birdwatcher, 07 December 2017 - 07:13 AM.

• Dman, Hosken Bombo Disco, nytwinsfan and 4 others like this

#36 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

I'm only going on the video scouting report from MLB.com, which described Pearson as having 20/20 power/speed potential, described him as a strong kid with a body that could develop, and said his only fielding weakness, throwing, should improve coming off surgery on said arm. And on a third party reference from someone on Twinkietown who said MLB.com ranked Pearson higher than any Twins OF prospect other than Kiriloff. So you could be right, but I'm going to choose to be happy that Pearson is even regarded perhaps as highly as Badoo, Rooker, and Wade. Sounds like a pretty good use of IFA money to me.

I didn't find any glowing reports on Banuelos's minor league career, but maybe I missed them. The one thing I read was a pre-draft article that categorized him more as a sleeper while over a dozen other catching prospects were showcased in the article.

It's important to note the mlb rankings are not updates for year end yet. Both of the prospects acquired have dropped.

They are probably as good as 8 or 9 of the 12 Braves prospects set free, but there is another Cuban prospect available better than all of them. Twins were good to grab some prospects but they are leaving some talent out there.
  • birdwatcher and nytwinsfan like this
Papers...business papers.

#37 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:35 AM

.. don't get selected for the swimsuit portion, but have what Mike Sciosia in lingerie needs:...

...No one knows what Otani wants, but Twins know what teams pursuing Otani want.

Ugh. Sciosia in lingerie is not the image I need stuck in my mind at 8:30 in the morning. Or 8:30 in the evening, for that matter. Or ever.

I do like your summary statement, however. 

• birdwatcher, Twins33, big dog and 1 other like this

#38 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:53 AM

It's hard to even guess what the market would pay. 

The Twins were not the only team with extra IBP money left.

If they squeeze too hard... The Yankees can always pick up the phone and tell the Mariners and Angels that they have even more money available than the Twins do. 

The Twins front office jumped right into it and made a deal with two of the three teams that can add bonus money for Otani. 

I tip my cap to them. 

Yes, I like this because, to me, this signals different thinking on the part of the FO. 

• HitInAPinch and wsnydes like this

#39 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

I kind of like that these guys are both 2017 draft picks for two reasons.

1) To build a sustained period of success, the Twins are going to need another group of prospects to take the places of this group once they graduate to free agency. We got to experience that in the '00s years, when Mientkiewicz, Koskie, Jones, etc were replace by Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel. With some high end talent banging around in the lower minors right now, like Royce Lewis, there's hope that the Twins could see a similar handoff from this group to another group. This adds to that chance.

2) So far, this front office looks pretty astute at gauging draft prospects (knock, knock). Royce Lewis looks tremendous. Rooker is obviously pretty exciting. It stands to reason these were guys that they liked but missed out on and have continued to target. 

• luckylager, Blake, brvama and 9 others like this

#40 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

The only question I have is whether they used it to acquire the right player(s). The Angels just signed Kevin Maitan for $2.2MM of international bonus money after his contract with the Braves was voided due to the international signing scandal. He was a top 50 prospect in all of baseball. Who knows if we could have signed him if we threw more $ at him or if we tried, but that would appear on its face to be a better usage of that money than the two we got.

I believe given the unusual circumstances teams were allowed to use their 2018 international pools to sign the Braves guys if they wanted, so the Twins probably could've still afforded him even while doing these moves. But if I was Maitan I don't think I'd want to come here unless the Twins were able to overpay, given the glut of shortstops in the system. Also, I've heard people suggest Maitan will drop quite a bit in the 2018 preseason rankings from where he was on those 2017 midseason lists.

• Steve Lein, gagu, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: david banuelos, shohei ohtani, jelfry marte, jacob pearson