Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Acquire players from Mariners and Angels for International money

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

My buddy just mentioned this- so they basically voided Marte's contract to spend money on marginal prospects?

Marte was voided because of a medical issue, not so they could spend it elsewhere.
And, these look like legit prospects to me.

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:31 PM

Nick Gordon+ for two years of a reliever?

I don't trust any Padres pitchers anyway.

Well it's not Gordon+, it's Gordon-, because he has them taking Hughes contract.
I still probably wouldn't do it, but I'd have to think about it. You're basically getting Hand, plus whoever you can sign with Hughes $$.
  • jimmer likes this

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,785 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

Well it's not Gordon+, it's Gordon-, because he has them taking Hughes contract.
I still probably wouldn't do it, but I'd have to think about it. You're basically getting Hand, plus whoever you can sign with Hughes $$.

I'm not giving up Gordon just to lose the Hughes contract, the Twins can absorb that one just fine.

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,785 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

So looking at the prospects returned, does this mean the Mariners are really good at negotiation? Or that the Angels are really bad at it?
  • birdwatcher and Dman like this

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm not giving up Gordon just to lose the Hughes contract, the Twins can absorb that one just fine.

Like I said, I probably wouldn't either. But, its not just to lose Hughes contract, you also get Hand, a 2.5 WAR pitcher.
And no they can't "absorb" the contract. They have a hard payroll ceiling. You may not like it, but they do. That is $14 million that they literally can't spend elsewhere.
  • jimmer likes this

#26 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm glad the Twins have been able to leverage some of the international money for a couple good prospects. I'm still hoping they can re-sign Marte and one of the prospects the Braves lost.

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

So looking at the prospects returned, does this mean the Mariners are really good at negotiation? Or that the Angels are really bad at it?

I think it means the M's have a MUCH better system than the Angels. I'd imagine they'll be pretty closely ranked in our system.
  • Oldgoat_MN and jimmer like this

#28 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,452 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

Please continue the discussion in the article thread here:

http://twinsdaily.co...al-bonus-money/

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern