Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017-2018 International bonus money

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

There is no reason not to spend it. Every team wastes more than that on one or more veteran per year. If they don't use it, I will be both surprised and very disappointed.

• darin617, DJSim22, Twins33 and 5 others like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#22 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

The Money clearly didn't matter when he culled his list down to 7 but there is a good chance it is going to matter when he culls that list down to 1

The Giants, Cubs, Dodgers and Padres are capped at $300,000.  

The Rangers can bonus $3.5 Million

The Mariners can bonus $1.5 Million

The Angels can bonus $1.3 Million. 

So, here is Otani, sizing up potential suitors for his generational talent, and San Diego walks in and says, "And in terms of salary, we are able to offer you .... less than most minor league players in our organization."

I suppose it could be argued that no one knows what Otani really wants, but, from his perspective, not being able to cover his travel costs back and forth from Japan has got to send up warning flares.

Or, to look at it another way:Wouldn't almost everyone be willing to take Otani in exchange for a couple of mid-level pitching prospects?

He will get more than people think with this first contract.

Twins' brass understood that International Pool dollars would be in high demand and they positioned themselves accordingly.Kudos to them.

#23 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

We did spend it. We just also unspent it. The timing of which, was ideal for our Ohtani hopes and dreams but not ideal for respending it.
  • nicksaviking, kab21 and sthpstm like this

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,400 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

So, here is Otani, sizing up potential suitors for his generational talent, and San Diego walks in and says, "And in terms of salary, we are able to offer you .... less than most minor league players in our organization."

I suppose it could be argued that no one knows what Otani really wants, but, from his perspective, not being able to cover his travel costs back and forth from Japan has got to send up warning flares.

Or, to look at it another way: Wouldn't almost everyone be willing to take Otani in exchange for a couple of mid-level pitching prospects?

He will get more than people think with this first contract.

Twins' brass understood that International Pool dollars would be in high demand and they positioned themselves accordingly. Kudos to them.

San Diego will be offering the exact same salary as another team. Just a smaller signing bonus.
  • nicksaviking likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,629 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Anyone that thinks they have any idea how Ohtani is making this decision is fooling themselves.

Yep... All of us have no idea what he is thinking and feeling. No way to grasp what is truly important to him. He has already made decisions that don't appear to be based on Money... such as posting this year and including the Padres on his 7 team list. 

However... After, He runs all the clubs through his "what's important to me" filter. 

His agents will still have the leverage to ask the Mariners, Angels or even Rangers to acquire more bonus pool money to get his signature on a contract or he will sign with the Padres because he likes Tijuana. 

If it comes down to that request... Those teams could become real desperate... real accommodating... real fast... just to acquire some extra IBP money to get the deal done. 

I have no idea what is important to him... but Millions of Dollars in bonus money would be a tremendous tiebreaker for almost anyone on the planet.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#26 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

All of our Intl Cap money to Seattle for Nelson Cruz?

1/14M left on his contract. Primary DH blocking Ohtani

Who says no?

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

All of our Intl Cap money to Seattle for Nelson Cruz?

1/14M left on his contract. Primary DH blocking Ohtani

Who says no?

I hope the Twins. I'd rather have three of the remaining Braves' prospects than 1 year of Cruz. 

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,831 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

Well, four of the 12 are signed, and I admit I wanted the pitcher KC got, and the catcher that Philly got, not knowing much about any of them......and, of course Maitan. Still hope!

#29 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

Give Cruz a QO after next season and we'd likely end up with a better prospect than any of the Braves scraps
  • USAFChief likes this

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,400 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

I hope the Twins. I'd rather have three of the remaining Braves' prospects than 1 year of Cruz.

huh...I'd take one yr of Cruz over all the remaining Braves prospects.
  • drjim likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#31 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Speaking of that international $$$:

Jon Morosi of MLB Network is reporting that a team interested in acquiring Shohei Ohtani is "on the verge" of acquiring international cash from the Minnesota Twins.
Morosi says that the deal could be done as soon as Wednesday night. Because of the international signing rules, teams are limited to what they have available in their allocated funds to pay the outfielder/pitcher. With the Twins no longer a contender for his services, they're able to acquire players from teams who are still in pursuit of the star. Stay tuned.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#32 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

Speaking of that international $$$:

Seth posted this news in the MiL forum:
http://twinsdaily.co...national-money/
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#33 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

huh...I'd take one yr of Cruz over all the remaining Braves prospects.

This should be obvious. But Ms were never trading a playet like Cruz for international money.
Papers...business papers.

#34 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

Yep... All of us have no idea what he is thinking and feeling. No way to grasp what is truly important to him. He has already made decisions that don't appear to be based on Money... such as posting this year and including the Padres on his 7 team list. 

However... After, He runs all the clubs through his "what's important to me" filter. 

His agents will still have the leverage to ask the Mariners, Angels or even Rangers to acquire more bonus pool money to get his signature on a contract or he will sign with the Padres because he likes Tijuana. 

If it comes down to that request... Those teams could become real desperate... real accommodating... real fast... just to acquire some extra IBP money to get the deal done. 

I have no idea what is important to him... but Millions of Dollars in bonus money would be a tremendous tiebreaker for almost anyone on the planet.

Yup

http://twinsdaily.co...national-money/
  • Riverbrian likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#35 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

I'm happy to be wrong believing the Twins would have trouble trading to the teams in Ohtani.

Mike Berardino has also tweeted that Marte and the Twins have interest in working out a new deal so we may see the rest of the money go back to Marte.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#36 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

I don't think I've seen this noted elsewhere. The Twins have signed 19 year old Kai-Wei Tang to a $500,000 bonus.

https://www.mlb.com/...eng/c-263886652

Immediately, I can't find any other information on him.

#37 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,904 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:15 PM

I don't think I've seen this noted elsewhere. The Twins have signed 19 year old Kai-Wei Tang to a $500,000 bonus.

https://www.mlb.com/...eng/c-263886652

Immediately, I can't find any other information on him.

It was mentioned, and there are a few posts, in the Player Transactions thread in the minor league forum. Here's the link to the post mentioning it first.

http://twinsdaily.co...17-18/?p=702564