Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

2017-2018 International bonus money

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

I see a lot of mentions of what the Twins should do with the money from Marte's failed signing. Now that Ohtani is officially out for the Twins, let's discuss.

I know Maitan is the big name of the ex-Braves prospects, but I assume he'll cost all of the money remaining.

I'd shoot for what seems to be the best pitcher among the group, Year Del Rosario. He held his own as a 17 year old in the GCL and may remain a starter with good upside.

I'd also be aiming for recent Cuban defector Julio Pablo Martinez, a 21 year old projected to start at High-A or AA with a good power/speed combination.

• Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking, Cory Engelhardt and 1 other like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,074 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

I would get three of them. Whatever best three they can.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#3 gSutter

gSutter

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTwins Territory

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

I'd like to see the Twins shop their international bonus money to the 7 teams still in on the Ohtani bidding.

#4 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

I'd like to see the Twins shop their international bonus money to the 7 teams still in on the Ohtani bidding.

I'm not convinced the signing team will need any additional money. 

Keep in mind that the Padres are one of the finalists and they are limited to $300,000 for a signing bonus.

• darin617 and nicksaviking like this

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,826 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Keep in mind that the Padres are one of the finalists and they are limited to $300,000 for a signing bonus.

Yeah, doesn't look like the International bonus funds are important for Ohtani. 

Beside, teams trading their International cap money aren't exactly getting exciting pieces back in return.

#6 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

I'm sure any plan that these teams have for wooing Ohtani includes the ability to trade for additional dollars should they need to. Money may be the determining factor, but surely its a factor. 

The Twins should be exploring all fronts, to ensure they don't have Int'l money left unspent.

#7 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Glom on to those released Braves!

#8 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

Glom on to those released Braves!

Which? You have competition from every team and you won't get all of them.

I can't imagine Maitan coming to the Twins. He likely expects to start in low A, and the Twins already have a potential playing time issue at SS with Lewis and Javier.

#9 dougd

dougd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

"I know Maitan is the big name of the ex-Braves prospects, but I assume he'll cost all of the money remaining."

"I can't imagine Maitan coming to the Twins. He likely expects to start in low A, and the Twins already have a potential playing time issue at SS with Lewis and Javier."

I would like to hear from Ben, but I gather that Maitan is not quite the prospect he was a year ago. I don't know how accurate, or standard, these assessments from BPro's 2018 Atlanta top 10 are (Nov 6), where he is #9 in a stacked minor league prospect list:

Good: plus hit/power, precocious bat control and zone awareness, passable defensive skills at 3rd. 

Bad: long term swing and miss concerns, already high-maintenance body, not a shortstop. Below average runner. Ends up at 1B or DH.

Other views: Fringe top 10 fantasy 3rd baseman ceiling. Stiff arms, not plus arm.

Our guy Ynoa did make the top 20 in this prospect list.

#10 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

I'm not expecting a watershed moment here, but the Twins should be able to get a decent player or two. No immediate superstars, just usual front office business....

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Royals got Del Rosario. 

https://www.mlbtrade...el-rosario.html

I wonder if we end up not using all our bonus pool money. It'll be interesting to see but we did add a bit of payroll (Garcia's contract) during the season so maybe the FO was instructed to save money if/where it could. 

At this point, I think it's more likely we trade off some of our money and resign Marte at a lower amount than go after the Atlanta prospects.

#12 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

Well so much for using our international money on the former Atlanta Brave prospect who is rated 38th on MLB.com Prospect Watch. Drats!

https://www.mlbtrade...s-prospect.html

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, not really impressed with the Twins use of international pool so far. We have time to change that but I'm starting to worry that we are just not going to spend the money.

• Twins33, Oldgoat_MN, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#14 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

And Maitan is now gone to Angels, who may be using their 2018-2019 funds on him.

https://www.mlbtrade...s-prospect.html

#15 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs reviewed a few of the released prospects here . MLBTR reports that Del Rosario signed with the Royals. Keep our fingers crossed for Contreras, maybe?

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,334 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

The Money clearly didn't matter when he culled his list down to 7 but there is a good chance it is going to matter when he culls that list down to 1

The Giants, Cubs, Dodgers and Padres are capped at $300,000.  

The Rangers can bonus $3.5 Million

The Mariners can bonus $1.5 Million

The Angels can bonus $1.3 Million. 

If Otani likes both the Rangers and the Padres and can't decide between both of them. That 3 Million difference will seem like 20 Million. 

Therefore... The Twins holding $3.2 Million that can be traded to the Mariners or Angels to bring them up to the Rangers level could be a huge acquisition for the Mariners or Angels down the road. 

It's money that could fetch something decent in return to the Twins... if it will bring home the prize of Otani. 

• bizaff likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,074 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Anyone that thinks they have any idea how Ohtani is making this decision is fooling themselves.

• tvagle likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

Don't forget that "International Bonus Money" isn't free money. The Pohlads still have to open the wallet. If the Twins don't find a player or players they want, the money won't get spent. It's a limit, not a blank check. They don't have to spend this money if they don't find a player with mutual interest.

I'm not saying the Twins won't sign someone (or a couple someones), I'm just saying don't set yourselves up for disappointment if it doesn't happen. I'm getting the vibe that some of us are getting frustrated....

Edited by Doomtints, 05 December 2017 - 03:26 PM.

• tvagle likes this

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

Well I, for one, will be disappointed if they don't spend it. It will cement the "cheap image as true.

There is talent to spend it on.
  • Mike Sixel, dgwills and Vanimal46 like this

#20 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

They will likely spend it but it might be on a radio station or car dealership.

• USAFChief, Hosken Bombo Disco and tvagle like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra