Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Strike Out On Ohtani

shohei ohtani yu darvish nex balelo jon heyman mike beradino
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

Honestly no idea why Otani requested pitches from all MLB teams if he was that dead-set on the west coast.I'd have to assume some teams are a bit frustrated over the wasted effort.

Says my kid every night that he has to do homework.

It was a courtesy to allow all teams in the offer, it wasn't a jerk move. And who knows, perhaps some team would have presented him with some persuasive information that otherwise wasn't available to he and his agent.

• ThejacKmp and wsnydes like this

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

Not disappointed.As I have said before I do not like chasing players - I am an old fashioned develop him ourselves.If he turns out to be what is expected there will be another chance when he becomes a free agent.

In the meantime, get a coach - maybe our new extra pitching coach, to go and spend time with Romero and Gonsalves and get them primed for Spring Training and beyond.Invest in our own players.

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

#23 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

It can never be wrong to add more talent. Go after some of the Braves players that were freed.

#24 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

And temps in Minnesota in January are a factor why? Maybe temps in April and October would be, but not sure how January is relevant unless he intends to take up permanent residence wherever he signs.

Everything is relevant in recruiting. Whatever one can use against another is fair game. 

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

The only thing surprising was that the Yankees were left out.

#26 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

At this point I feel like there's no way he can live up to the hype anyway. 

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

And temps in Minnesota in January are a factor why? Maybe temps in April and October would be, but not sure how January is relevant unless he intends to take up permanent residence wherever he signs.

He will spend at least 2-3 weeks there in January between the winter caravan and Twinsfest

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,515 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

He will spend at least 2-3 weeks there in January between the winter caravan and Twinsfest

Doing what, taunting fans that he won't be signing with us? :)

• Blake, nicksaviking, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

#29 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

If I had the opportunity to live in San Diego, or San Francisco, I'd take it.

• Steve Lein, Thrylos, Twins33 and 3 others like this

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,012 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

I'd be more disappointed if I was a fan of the only West Coast team *cough* Oakland *cough* left off of his wish list. 

Ohtani to Minnesota is as much of a pipe dream as going on a date with Scarlett Johansson, or Brad Pitt. Whatever floats your boat! 

• nicksaviking, spinowner and Dave The Dastardly like this

#31 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

So based off everything we have learned this morning, I think it sounds like he is going to Seattle. They have like $1.5 million in bonus money to offer him plus they could trade for more. Seattle has a large Japanese population. And Seattle has a young roster and completed for most of the year last year. 

I think all the other top 7 teams have less that $500,000 to offer. 

Here are Seattle top five prospects, including one who comes in the top 100 on MLB.com

Kyle Lewis OF (46 on top 100), Nick Neidert P, Evan White 1B, Sam Carlson P, and Braden BIshop OF. 

Could the Twins trade $3 million in international bonus money for Evan White or Sam Carlson. That sounds like a good deal to me. 

• Twins33, Cory Engelhardt and laloesch like this

#32 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale
Several #MLB GMs now believe that the Seattle #Mariners are the clear-cut front runners for Ohtani's services and the Mariners are cautiously optimistic

#33 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

Sour grapes aside, if I was him, Seattle, San Diego, and San Francisco would be no-brainers.  For a guy who lives on an island, being near the ocean would probably be a plus.  And fresh fish.  I don't know about Minnesota, but the difference in sushi between Seattle and Michigan is astronomically huge.

• dgwills likes this

#34 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

The Braves cheating could be tailor made for the Twins who have a lot more International money remaining than only a couple teams.Let's get their top guy or maybe a couple of the top four or five.

When the report about the Braves' cheating scandal broke so shortly after the Twins pulled their offer to Marte, I wondered if their was serious speculation in front offices that the Braves' signees would be cut loose and whether Falvine was playing a hunch. I never held out much hope for Ohtani and I am excited that the Twins can be real players for the former Braves. My only question is whether the advisors of those players will have them wait until the next international signing period so that there is a full complement of international pool funds competing for their services.

It is hard to predict because, on the one hand, it seems to me that the players would want to start their careers sooner than later and they'll still be getting a windfall with a second signing bonus. On the other hand, they can expect bigger bonuses if they wait until every team has their full allotment. My guess is that the premium players will wait (unless they receive full value -- i.e. what the Braves paid) and the lesser talents will sign this year.  

#35 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,700 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

But, but the Twins have the inside track on players coming over from Norway and Sweden. Who wants sushi when you can get lutefisk?

• nicksaviking, Danchat, Don Walcott and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#36 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale
Several #MLB GMs now believe that the Seattle #Mariners are the clear-cut front runners for Ohtani's services and the Mariners are cautiously optimistic

Hmm, I wonder if the fact Ichiro spent all that time in Seattle had anything to do with Ohtani presumably signing with Seattle?

• Jerr and gunnarthor like this

#37 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

I remember getting the "Ichiroll" when I was at Safeco about 10 years ago. I wonder if they have already offered to serve "Shoheirolls."

Seattle makes a lot of sense for Ohtani as a city in which he'd be able to assimilate. But I'd still prefer a bit more sunshine if it were me.

#38 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

I don't think any team that is left needs extra international money. Sounds like it was reported some place that he basically already has $20M in endorsements at the moment. And if he has narrowed his choices down to 7 already he has it down really to 2 or 3 teams.

It wold have to be an American League Team so he can DH when he doesn't pitch. Nelson Cruz was Seattle's DH 147 games last season. He is just under contract for 2018 so that would be a fit.

Give Seattle a call and offer them $2M for a MLB ready player or 2.

#39 awinter

awinter

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

I'd be more disappointed if I was a fan of the only West Coast team *cough* Oakland *cough* left off of his wish list. 

Ohtani to Minnesota is as much of a pipe dream as going on a date with Scarlett Johansson, or Brad Pitt. Whatever floats your boat! 

Except that you have a better idea of what you're getting with Johansson and Pitt. No guarantees that Ohtani is as good as advertised. I think he's worth the price for any MLB team to take that risk and he's worth it if he's an average starter, but if that's all he is, we can't be that disappointed.

#40 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

Hmm, I wonder if the fact Ichiro spent all that time in Seattle had anything to do with Ohtani presumably signing with Seattle?

When Ichiro was in Seattle, the Mariners' owner was a Japanese company.This was true until last year.Now they just have 10% of the Mariners. Not sure how much that has to do with anything

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shohei ohtani, yu darvish, nex balelo, jon heyman, mike beradino