Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Can Phil Hughes Surprise Us?

phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

He should be behind Bartola Colon, who should be behind Bert Blyleven on the depth charts.I have no problem with a come back and would set the bar rather low but at least set one. How about any 3 start period in the minors (AAA or AA)where his ERA is less than 3.00. I am guessing May, Gonsalves and Romero would jump at that opportunity. Why not hold Hughes to that standard as well?

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,053 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hughes will surprise me if he throws one pitch for the 2018 MN Twins, but stranger things have happened.

• Carole Keller, Blake, Twins33 and 4 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

Hughes will surprise me if he throws one pitch for the 2018 MN Twins, but stranger things have happened.

But if stranger things have happened, isn’t that giving perspective to lessen the surprise?
  • Riverbrian and Danchat like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#24 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

I don't think we have to worry about Hughes. He'll show up for ST and if he's somehow hitting 92 again, great. If he's throwing mid 80s, I think they'll put him in the pen/DL or just release him. But the Twins shouldn't go into the season expecting anything from him and make him force their hand. If he's a pleasant surprise, great! 

• Loosey likes this

#25 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,109 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

I wrote off Joe Mauer last year and he wound up having a very pre-concussion Joe Mauer kind of year.

So, do I write off Phil Hughes so the baseball gods can again mock me and prove me wrong?

Hmmmm......

• BK432, Riverbrian, snepp and 2 others like this

#26 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

Maybe the best outcome would be if the Twins were able to re-coup some money from an insurance policy on him.If they have one.If I were running an insurance company, I don't think I'd underwrite MLB pitchers.......

Has anyone really successfully come back from TOS?It seems like the dreaded "Rotator Cuff Surgery" of the 1970's.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,874 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

Maybe the best outcome would be if the Twins were able to re-coup some money from an insurance policy on him.If they have one.If I were running an insurance company, I don't think I'd underwrite MLB pitchers.......

Has anyone really successfully come back from TOS?It seems like the dreaded "Rotator Cuff Surgery" of the 1970's.

here's a couple good links- looks like Jaime Garcia is the poster child and Josh Becket is what to expect.

https://www.beyondth...r-effectiveness

https://www.fangraph...utlet-syndrome/

• snap4birds likes this

#28 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

He's attempted adding spin to his heater.

Found this storyline interesting. 

Driveline Baseball spend time studying how to add and subtract spin rate. You can easily manipulate the ball to reduce spin rate. In there studies, there was no answer for how to increase spin rate -- with the exception of adding tact to the ball

From Kyle Boddy's interview with Baseball America last year...

We've been unsuccessful in figuring out how to increase spin rate. There's one easy way to do it, which is use Firm Grip or pine tar, but that's illegal. So we can't do that.

What actually makes it possible? That's such an interesting question. We have all this technology that can give you the angular velocities of the arm and how fast it moves, but despite that we don't yet know. That's a big question we are trying to answer this summer.

Phil Hughes recently talked about trying to increase the spin rate on his fastball. Lots of luck man. We've been trying to figure that out for a couple of years.

Now, maybe Hughes didn't mean "spin rate". Maybe he just meant spin, like a different movement out of his fastball instead of the times it rotated to the plate. Either way, his spin rate dropped some from 2016 to 2017. 

Bigger picture, what someone discovers what it takes to manipulate spin rate and add it to the fastball is going to be celebrated heavily.

• Sconnie likes this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#29 South Dakota Tom

South Dakota Tom

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

And pitch more than 20 innings in that stretch...

He should be behind Bartola Colon, who should be behind Bert Blyleven on the depth charts.I have no problem with a come back and would set the bar rather low but at least set one. How about any 3 start period in the minors (AAA or AA)where his ERA is less than 3.00. I am guessing May, Gonsalves and Romero would jump at that opportunity. Why not hold Hughes to that standard as well?

#30 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

I see Hughes as a guy who'll have to pitch his butt off to make the team in 2018. He was terrible last season and after more surgery, I don't see any reason for optimism. Hopefully the FO is willing to let him go if it's clear he's going to be a liability.

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

And pitch more than 20 innings in that stretch...

I'd be ok with 15 innings.If Santana hurts his hamstring and is out for a couple weeks I don't care if he has a few rehab starts where he gives up 8 runs in 9 innings. I just want him to say he is ready to go.The performance is not the issue but rather his health.If you miss most of two years now the issue should be performance and earning your way back. I don't care how low they set the bar.No one that has missed as much time as he has should object to performing at a certain level of competence.I would say the same about Perkins last year.Size of the contract and past performance should not carry much weight.A ship does not sail with yesterday's wind.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#32 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

Yes. Cy Young candidate. Biggest surprise and comeback player of the year. Anchors staff that is the best in baseball. Fastball consistently sits at 96. Oh how I love the offseason.
  • Sconnie likes this

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,726 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

The reality is that Hughes is owed $13.5 M each of the 2018 and 2019 seasons.I think that the best case scenario for the Twins is to package him along with all their international bonus $ to Otani's suitor who will give them the best breathing prospect back.

• BK432 and Sconnie like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 S.

S.

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

I expect Hughes to contribute as much in 2018 as Perkins did in 2017.

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#35 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:07 AM

It is really too bad. He was a great pick up and for a short time a great asset and it should have stopped there. The extension was one of the worst moves Ryan ever made.

#36 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,857 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:36 AM

From the somewhat limited view in my recliner, I have no idea if he makes it back to the level of even an expensive long reliever. The surprise I am looking for is whether the new FO makes the decision based more on his usefulness to the roster, than his usefulness to the accounting department! :)
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#37 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

I would not be surprised if he surprises us. :P

He might have another year left in his arm, he might fail miserably. It can go either way.

#38 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,874 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

I don’t think Hughes will pitch for the Twins again, so if he does, it will surprise me.

Low bar... but possible.

Side note, what does a second TOS procedure mean? They didn’t remove a second rib, did they?

#39 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

I don’t think Hughes will pitch for the Twins again, so if he does, it will surprise me.

Low bar... but possible.

Side note, what does a second TOS procedure mean? They didn’t remove a second rib, did they?

The first surgery partially removed one of his ribs, and the second surgery removed the rest of that same rib.

• Sconnie likes this

#40 BK432

BK432

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:23 PM

The reality is that Hughes is owed $13.5 M each of the 2018 and 2019 seasons.I think that the best case scenario for the Twins is to package him along with all their international bonus $ to Otani's suitor who will give them the best breathing prospect back.

This would actually be a great idea....if Ohtani showed any care whatsoever to the size of the bonus he can get. Damn selfless kid......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phil hughes