Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

cap space

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

i wonder if a team such as seattle or texas would trade their international cap space for a player like kohl stewart or some other prospects so we could get our offer up to 5 or 6 million before Ohteni signs. Of course Ohteni would let those teams know ahead of time so they have time to make the trade. if a team really wanted him they could trade their way up to 7 to 10 million so he could sign. would you offer Gorden for Texas 3 million cap space if it gave us ohteni? or which Yankees prospect should we pry from them for our space?

Edited by Brandon, 02 December 2017 - 11:09 AM.

#2 rdehring

rdehring

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

i wonder if a team such as seattle or texas would trade their international cap space for a player like kohl stewart or some other prospects so we could get our offer up to 5 or 6 million before Ohteni signs. Of course Ohteni would let those teams know ahead of time so they have time to make the trade. if a team really wanted him they could trade their way up to 7 to 10 million so he could sign. would you offer Gorden for Texas 3 million cap space if it gave us ohteni? or which Yankees prospect should we pry from them for our space?

Isn't the amount a team can trade for limited at either 67% or 75% of their original budget.So if we started with $4,800,000, we could trade for $3.2mm to $3.6mm extra.That would be less the $500 ke we already traded for.  

I am more intrigued to see if the Twins learn that they really aren't a frontrunner for him, they trade say $1.5mm-$2.0mm of their money to Seattle...who would really like to get him.Perhaps the Twins throw in a prospect and get a top Seattle pitching prospect who is close to the major leagues in return.  

May not help in 2018, or at least at the start of the year, but could get a top prospect...assuming Seattle has someone like that who is close.

Plus they still would have a million or two left over to go hard after a few of those Atlanta free agent kids who's contracts were voided.

Edited by rdehring, 02 December 2017 - 11:17 AM.

• Sconnie likes this

#3 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

I think this is a realistic way to bring in some pitching help as I just have a hard time believing Ohtani is coming to the Twins.
  • jimmer likes this

#4 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

It seems unlikely if they have to then clear a 40-man spot and protect him from Rule 5. That's doubles the cost of the trade.

Pure gut feeling here, but Ohtani isn't going to sign based on this contract offer anyway. While a few teams have more pool money to spend, the difference isn't significant enough. He'll go by whatever intangibles motivate him.

• Hollywood42 likes this

#5 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

Isn't the amount a team can trade for limited at either 67% or 75% of their original budget.So if we started with $4,800,000, we could trade for $3.2mm to $3.6mm extra.That would be less the $500 ke we already traded for.  

I am more intrigued to see if the Twins learn that they really aren't a frontrunner for him, they trade say $1.5mm-$2.0mm of their money to Seattle...who would really like to get him.Perhaps the Twins throw in a prospect and get a top Seattle pitching prospect who is close to the major leagues in return.  

May not help in 2018, or at least at the start of the year, but could get a top prospect...assuming Seattle has someone like that who is close.

Plus they still would have a million or two left over to go hard after a few of those Atlanta free agent kids who's contracts were voided.

Here is a synopsis of the rules covering international signing bonuses:

https://www.baseball...fExKWApckSOD.97

The Twins started with a $5,250,000 pool. This means they can acquire pool money via trade until they reach $9,187,500.

What I'm not clear about is whether there are rules covering the annual salary that would be separate from the bonus. I'm sure there are but in a very brief internet search I didn't come across that information.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#6 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

Here is a synopsis of the rules covering international signing bonuses:

https://www.baseball...fExKWApckSOD.97

The Twins started with a $5,250,000 pool. This means they can acquire pool money via trade until they reach $9,187,500.
What I'm not clear about is whether there are rules covering the annual salary that would be separate from the bonus. I'm sure there are but in a very brief internet search I didn't come across that information.

according to the cub reporter, a player that adheres to the inter’l pool cap (16-25) cannot be signed to an MLB contract. In other words they get a minor league deal and go through the same pay scale for domestic players with the 500k min for three years plus three years arbitration

http://www.thecubrep...ning-bonus-pool

He’s 24 so if he waited a year he’d be a street free agent able to sign market rate contract

Edited by Sconnie, 02 December 2017 - 01:05 PM.

#7 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

so if ohteni agent is smart he will try to lower the amount of teams left in the running to 2 or 3 with a week to go to see who can improve their offer. maybe get to 3 to 6 million give or take. so the winner of Ohteni may have to trade a few prospects to get him. if we are not in the running then we are in the drivers seat to demand a really good prospect for the cap space to sign ohteni.

Edited by Brandon, 02 December 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#8 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

of course we may also be in a spot where we have to give up prospects to sign him too.

#9 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

if im ohteni and i focus on the areas of concern first to find the 3 best places to play. then i go to them and say you are getting one of the best players at a low cost...trade for some cap space to sign me to the best bonus you can. while money isnt his motivator. a few extra million doesnt hurt either.

Edited by Brandon, 02 December 2017 - 01:59 PM.

#10 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

I thought the maximum offer any team can make is like $3.5M. I would also feel any team he signs with will be having an arrangement set up where he basically gets a long term extension after 2 seasons. I am sure that is most likely against the rules but look at what some teams have done before.

#11 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

so if ohteni agent is smart he will try to lower the amount of teams left in the running to 2 or 3 with a week to go to see who can improve their offer. maybe get to 3 to 6 million give or take. so the winner of Ohteni may have to trade a few prospects to get him. if we are not in the running then we are in the drivers seat to demand a really good prospect for the cap space to sign ohteni.

There is speculation going around out of Japan that he's already narrowed it down to five teams.

Not sure how true, link is from cubsinsider and the cubsinsider link includes the link to the Japanese article which supposedly says 5 teams. Anyone able to read Japanese? The Japanese article seems to suggest Padres, Yankees and Dodgers based on an image in the article. The other two are not known.

Some are saying it's just his preferred choices and others think everyone else is already out of the running. Like I said it's all speculation, but if he signs rather quickly we may found out it was true.

Then there is also this:

I don't watch MLB network and don't see that they've tweeted that. Just figured I'd pass that along too. Personally I'd trust the link from Japan before I would trust MLB network, but it could still be incorrect.

#12 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

i wouldnt count on anything comming out that fast. i would suspect those five teams are at the top going into the process. but that doesnt mean he has decided yet.