Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor League Coaching Transactions 2017-18

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

Mike Berardino is reporting that there are more minor league transactions in the works, though it sounds like not all of it is complete. 

http://www.twincitie...-league-system/

Mike Quade is stepping down as AAA Rochester manager.

Joel Lepel moving from minor league field coordinator to an undetermined role in the organization.

Tommy Watkins moving from Cedar Rapids manager to Chattanooga manager.

Jake Mauer 'weighing his professional options.' Whatever that means. 

Bob McLure named a senior pitching adviser. He'll work with Garvin Alston and whoever becomes the minor league pitching coordinator.

Toby Gardenhire, who coached in Rochester and in the GCL last year, will manage somewhere. 

Jeremy Zoll has been busy since joining the organization.

These moves are in addition to the earlier announcements that Doug Mientkiewicz and Eric Rasmussen were let go too.

#2 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

I sure hope Mauer "weighing his options" is something internal, as in, do you want the Rochester job?

Losing him would just be a huge mistake, IMO.

• brvama and 70charger like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,164 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Quade is not gone.He will be back in the role of roving outfield instructor.

I think that Phil Roof retired as well (he is 76)

That Mauer thing is really surprising.Looks like he might end up out of the organization, the way it is written.It seems that he has an offer to do something that he might not be too font of doing.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

I chatted with someone on the phone this afternoon, and it sounds like these things are all currently accurate.. though still many things are subject to change. 

#5 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

The minor league teams win. I wonder if they are trying to get the teams more into development mode as it seems like a lot f players seem to have a bit of a time adjusting to major league play.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,164 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

The minor league teams win. I wonder if they are trying to get the teams more into development mode as it seems like a lot f players seem to have a bit of a time adjusting to major league play.

That's the interesting balance with the minor leagues, as far as affiliate ball goes and it generates a lot of conflict.Minor league affiliates want to win, so more butts on the seats and hot dogs eaten.Major league clubs want to use minor leagues as development leagues, but will not secure affiliates, unless there is some winning going on.So every year they try to sign a bunch of AAAA players or older former major leaguers who have no hope of making to the majors and will not develop any further, but will help the minor league affiliates win, so the natives will be pleased a bit.

Clubs like the Braves, Cardinals, and Yankees, decided to make their minor league systems player development systems, so they own all of their minor league teams (like the Twins own their Elizabethton team), so they do not have to please any natives as far as big picture club development strategy goes.

I think that more teams will follow that model sooner than later.

Edited by Thrylos, 01 December 2017 - 09:41 PM.

• Bob Sacamento, spinowner and Respy like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

Clubs like the Braves, Cardinals, and Yankees, decided to make their minor league systems player development systems, so they own all of their minor league teams (like the Twins own their Elizabethton team), so they do not have to please any natives as far as big picture club development strategy goes.

I think that more teams will follow that model sooner than later.

You sure that those 3 clubs own all of their affiliates? I was pretty sure the Braves had moved that direction, but it would be news to me that the Yankees and Cardinals do. Yankees bought a share of their AAA club a few years ago, but last I knew, their AA club in Trenton, anyway, was still privately owned. Likewise, I don't recall the Cardinals buying their Peoria affiliate in the MWL.

I don't really think many organizations sacrifice development to satisfy local affiliates' desire to win games. Teams sign minor league free agents because they have to fill out rosters at all those levels somehow and they don't generally have enough players to do that without signing free agents to fill needs at various levels. 

For example, if they have catchers that they feel need to play at AA to start the season, they won't promote them to AAA just because there's a shortage there. They'll add FAs until the development staff believes the players are ready for AAA.

Delaying a promotion a week or two at mid season to help an affiliate lock down a playoff spot at the end of the first half of the season is about all any affiliate ever gets in terms of favors from its parent where development is concerned... and even that isn't anything close to a sure thing.

There are a lot of things a MLB parent can do to help affiliates with attendance that don't sacrifice development. Ex-player appearances, rehab assignments, tickets/promotions, etc., all can help. 

• Seth Stohs and birdwatcher like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Tommy Watkins has been confirmed as the manager of Chattanooga.

Toby Gardenhire has been confirmed as the manager of Cedar Rapids.

Jake Mauer will not be in the organization in 2018.

Article here.

#9 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

I really want to know what happened with Jake Mauer. That is shocking to me.

#10 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

New Red Wings Manager named...

https://www.milb.com...per/c-263806068

Edited by luckylager, 20 December 2017 - 09:58 AM.

• Halsey Hall likes this