Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor League Player Transactions 2017-18

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

The Twins have signed infielders Leonardo Reginnato and Gregorio Petit, and catcher Brock Stassi to minor league deals. 

I did a double take here because Stassi has been in the Phillies organization and playing in my home town team for the last 2 seasons.He is a first baseman and had to look and see if he was a catcher (he is not).He throws left so that would had been fun to see... 

• Seth Stohs likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

Per Red Wings PR man, Nate Rowan, the Twins have added three more players on minor league deals.

"The #MNTwins have signed INF Taylor Featherston, OF James Ramsey and C Wynston Sawyer to @MiLB deals."

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

James Ramsey was a Twins draft pick in 2011 but chose to go back to Florida State for his senior year.

#24 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Ramsey appeared in the futures game when hosted in Minnesota.

https://www.mlb.com/...tart/c-84600036

#25 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Per Matt Eddy, the Twins have signed 17-year-old RHP Donny Breek from The Netherlands.

From the 2-minutes of research I did, he actually signed in early October, shortly after the World Cup. He throws 145 kph (or 90 mph, if you prefer).

I'd prefer 145 mph, but 90 will do! \m/

#26 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

I really hope the new FO isn't falling into the same trap as the old FO, by making ANY decision based on the tiny, and IMO meaningless SS of Spring Training.

The old FO never fell into that trap though. 

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

I wouldn't say never, but it was quite rare, and a lame narrative.

And generally if they did fall into the trap, such as it was, it was to push a young player quicker than they should, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Papers...business papers.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,596 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

I really hope the new FO isn't falling into the same trap as the old FO, by making ANY decision based on the tiny, and IMO meaningless SS of Spring Training.

Mod note: Please don't turn this thread on "minor league transactions" into another debate on the old front office. The comment that triggered this was from 2+ weeks ago - at some point, things need to be left to rest.

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#29 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

I did a double take here because Stassi has been in the Phillies organization and playing in my home town team for the last 2 seasons.He is a first baseman and had to look and see if he was a catcher (he is not).He throws left so that would had been fun to see... 

Okay, I'm confused. Which Stassi did we sign? There are actually two of them and they are brothers. Brock is the first baseman who made his debut with the Phillies last year. His brother Max is a catcher and played in the Astros organization last year, including a cup of coffee with the major league team.

#30 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Okay, I'm confused. Which Stassi did we sign? There are actually two of them and they are brothers. Brock is the first baseman who made his debut with the Phillies last year. His brother Max is a catcher and played in the Astros organization last year, including a cup of coffee with the major league team.

Looks like we signed Brock from the Phillies...

#31 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

I'd prefer 145 mph, but 90 will do! \m/

Good luck finding a catcher willing to stand in front of that ball.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#32 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

I don't know if this is a minor league transaction or a major league one. Kid is 19 but built like he's 23. Like Sano on a pitching mound.

Edit: Okay, I'm confused. I just saw a report that we signed him a few months ago but Bollinger just reported it now? Did it take time to become official?

Edited by Taildragger8791, 21 December 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

I don't know if this is a minor league transaction or a major league one. Kid is 19 but built like he's 23. Like Sano on a pitching mound.

Edit: Okay, I'm confused. I just saw a report that we signed him a few months ago but Bollinger just reported it now? Did it take time to become official?

They agreed to terms in September, I believe, and he maybe came here to do the physical this week, or something like that. And, seeing pictures of him last night, he doesn't look like 260 at all. 

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

Here is a tweet with a few pictures of him. 

#35 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

They agreed to terms in September, I believe, and he maybe came here to do the physical this week, or something like that. And, seeing pictures of him last night, he doesn't look like 260 at all. 

Yeah those pictures are awfully hard to reconcile with the reports. I would have estimated 220 range at most, although he has good thickness in the lower half which can hide a lot of mass. You can kind of see a little more bulk in this gif of his pitching motion:

Edited by Taildragger8791, 21 December 2017 - 09:42 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#36 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

The Twins signed OF Nick Buss, a 31-year-old minor league free agent who has spent big league time with the Dodgers (2013) and Angels (2016). He won the PCL batting title last year for El Paso of the Padres system. 

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,596 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

The Twins signed OF Nick Buss, a 31-year-old minor league free agent who has spent big league time with the Dodgers (2013) and Angels (2016). He won the PCL batting title last year for El Paso of the Padres system. 

It's hard to take PCL slugging numbers at face value, particularly at El Paso, but even discounting the numbers a bit this looks like a fine depth move.

• Doctor Wu likes this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#38 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

It's hard to take PCL slugging numbers at face value, particularly at El Paso, but even discounting the numbers a bit this looks like a fine depth move.

Yeah, maybe not a WOW signing, but it looks like a smart one. Whether it's for depth or insurance, it's a good move. And who knows, maybe this guy could turn into some sort of pinch-hitting weapon or something positive. Whatever the case, if he can hit .300, even in the PCL, he's worth having.