Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Zack Granite's Impressive Plate Discipline

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,270 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

This article found on reddit discusses how good Zack Granite's plate discipline is. 

https://www.reddit.c...ate_discipline/

Granite is making contact with the ball on 95% of his overall swings, a stat far ahead of the rest of the league and it’s mean. He also controls his swing well above other MLB players when the ball is both inside and outside the strike zone.

• Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#2 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

Nice find Seth. Huge fanboy of Granite ever since I saw him playing for Chattanooga, absolute grinder and fun to watch play.

• birdwatcher, bluechipper and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#3 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

Granite might be one of those guys who hits the ground running when he makes the majors full-time.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,876 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

Juan Pierre types aren't looked upon with as generously as they were in the past as getting XBH is either directly or indirectly a factor in OPS, WAR, RC and today's other favored calculations.

However, if your team top to bottom is already in the upper half in SLG-type statistics having a guy who could approach a .400 OBP at the top of the order still has to be a huge plus. His SB percentage isn't all that great, he probably has to improve on that to be optimally effective, but there's definitely an opening for him to grab the leadoff spot, even if it's at minimum on a platoon level.

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

Juan Pierre types aren't looked upon with as generously as they were in the past as getting XBH is either directly or indirectly a factor in OPS, WAR, RC and today's other favored calculations.

However, if your team top to bottom is already in the upper half in SLG-type statistics having a guy who could approach a .400 OBP at the top of the order still has to be a huge plus. His SB percentage isn't all that great, he probably has to improve on that to be optimally effective, but there's definitely an opening for him to grab the leadoff spot, even if it's at minimum on a platoon level.

Yes, a guy approaching .400 obp would be a huge plus, even without power. 13 guys in all of baseball had obps over .390 last year. I'm skeptical Granite is going to be one of them.

He is a very nice guy to have on a roster as a bench guy who plays a lot.

Papers...business papers.

#6 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

I wouldn't trust the small-sample size data he's using yet.

While Granite has drawn an okay amount of walks in his minor league career, he wasn't elite there. (MiLB career .064 IsoD vs. .084 in MLB in 2017).

Granite is more of a Revere type to me, but certainly will draw more walks then Ben did. Has the bat control to make contact with pretty much anything he wants to swing at (which I think his data is saying more than he has elite "plate discipline"), but he's not going to draw walks like that moving forward. 

I hope to be pleasantly surprised on that last part.

• MN_ExPat and Respy like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Thread should be titled “...bat control”. Plate discipline, to me, means recognition that certain pitches are strikes and certain pitches aren’t. But seeing that early enough to act is what seperates you and me from professional hitters. Granite is exhibiting elite bat control, a la Brian Harper back in the day. It won’t neccesarily lead to more walks, but putting the bat on the ball is pretty much always preferable to not doing so.
  • Steve Lein, ericchri, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#8 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

The Twins have a nice balance of high contact guys to go with the power in their lineup. Granite, Mauer, and Polanco are extremely good at making contact, and I think Kepler could get in that category too.
  • DocBauer and Hollywood42 like this

#9 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

*cough* there is some really great stuff regarding Granite's contact skills in the Prospect Handbook *cough*

• Seth Stohs, Steve Lein, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#10 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

What about Granite as a 4th OF/DH who hits leadoff and moving Dozier down?
  • bluechipper, gman and Respy like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

What about Granite as a 4th OF/DH who hits leadoff and moving Dozier down?

If Granite is a good enough hitter to bat at the top of a lineup, shouldn't he be starting somewhere?
  • jimmer and Respy like this

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,270 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

I wouldn't trust the small-sample size data he's using yet.

While Granite has drawn an okay amount of walks in his minor league career, he wasn't elite there. (MiLB career .064 IsoD vs. .084 in MLB in 2017).

Granite is more of a Revere type to me, but certainly will draw more walks then Ben did. Has the bat control to make contact with pretty much anything he wants to swing at (which I think his data is saying more than he has elite "plate discipline"), but he's not going to draw walks like that moving forward. 

I hope to be pleasantly surprised on that last part.

I would say that if he becomes Ben Revere, and what he did for 4-5 years, we should all be thrilled. And, I think that is a pretty good comp. Very similar, though Granite has added a little power the last two seasons. 

He's a good fourth outfielder who you don't feel bad having start for a couple of weeks or a month when needed. The fact that he has reverse splits throughout his career is also helpful for him.He's just such a professional.

• Steve Lein and bluechipper like this

#13 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

IMO, Granite has potential. He also has some problems too. Like Mauer, he hit a lot of ground balls. Unlike Mauer, he was way below average on hard-hit balls (19.8% v. MLB avg 31.9%), and when he hit a fly ball, there was a high probability it was a pop-up (17.4% of FB v. MLB 9.6%).Contact is great but he needs to be able to hit with some authority too. 

Only 107 PA into his MLB career, so I think he can figure it out. Good news is he will get opportunities because of his glove.

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,846 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:20 AM

I'd prefer a RH hitting 4th OFer with some power.
  • Sconnie likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

I'd prefer a RH hitting 4th OFer with some power.

Hey, now. That’s unfair. Granite has power to both first and third base.
  • LimestoneBaggy, 70charger, PDX Twin and 1 other like this

#16 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

If Granite is a good enough hitter to bat at the top of a lineup, shouldn't he be starting somewhere?

Not with an everyday OF of Rosario, Buxton and Kepler.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#17 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

Granite appears to be another mid-round (14th round) selection that is paying dividends. Kudos to the area scout who recommended him.

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

Not with an everyday OF of Rosario, Buxton and Kepler.

I mean SOMEWHERE. If he's that good, that he deserves to be hitting at the top of a lineup, then he should be a centerpiece in a trade.
Personally, I have my doubts that he can hit anywhere near that level.
  • Sconnie likes this