Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Mailbag: Extensions, 2020 Line-Up, Darvish, Ohtani

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

Plus the posting money to the club - a big commitment of resources

Barely exceeds one year of Mauer.
  • USAFChief and tvagle like this
Papers...business papers.

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

Barely exceeds one year of Mauer.

That is true, but it does not want me to spend it.They will spend it and the $3 million for a year, then there will begin the next contracts and extensions and free agency.Nothing buys a real future except for the minor leagues and development.When we prove that we are real world series contenders then is the time like a Verlander style acquisition.Houston was smart and patient and they created a wonderful model. 

#23 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

As a hold out against the Free Agent and Ohtani sweepstakes I want to enter one support document.

https://www.cheatshe...html/?a=viewall There was a wise executive in everyone of these signings who thought they were really smart.

There is repetition in this, but some new names too and lots of pitchers: https://www.thesport...in-mlb-history/

Yes there have been some good signings - like Erv Santana, but for one Erv we have a Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Milone, and Pelfrey.Develop your talent! And trade when it will make a real difference for a championship. 

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

Plus the posting money to the club - a big commitment of resources

It's peanuts. We're not talking about $200 million mega deal, or even $60 million mid tier.

I think you are vastly underestimating how good of a pitcher he is. We'll see who's right, I guess.
  • jimmer likes this

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

It's peanuts. We're not talking about $200 million mega deal, or even $60 million mid tier.

I think you are vastly underestimating how good of a pitcher he is. We'll see who's right, I guess.

I am not underestimating how good he is.I do not know how good he is.I hope he is terrific because I like good baseball, but I do not like signing him like this. 

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,400 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

That is true, but it does not want me to spend it. They will spend it and the $3 million for a year, then there will begin the next contracts and extensions and free agency. Nothing buys a real future except for the minor leagues and development. When we prove that we are real world series contenders then is the time like a Verlander style acquisition. Houston was smart and patient and they created a wonderful model.

But that’s part of the attraction of Ohtani.

Ohtani will be treated like any other MLB player who comes up from your system. The same as Berrios, for example. Three years of serfdom, followed by three years of arbitration-eligibility. He could be extended, but doesn’t HAVE to be extended. There is zero salary commitment over and above what ANY rookie gets. He can’t be a FA sooner than when ANY rookie can be. Are you sorry the Twins spent $6m on a signing bonus for Buxton, and now have to worry about paying him? $3m on Sano?

EVERY team in MLB would sign him if he said yes.
  • Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Thrylos and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#27 Lefty74

Lefty74

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

Interested in your rationale for Tyler Jay making MLB by end of 2018. His stats at High A, around 3.00 ERA have been solid, but AA ERA of around 5.50 doesn’t seem to warrant the optimism. It may be that injuries have been the cause, but if so it’s rare that those things disappear. I hope you are right and everything lines up for him in terms of health and success on the mound.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

I am not underestimating how good he is. I do not know how good he is. I hope he is terrific because I like good baseball, but I do not like signing him like this.

Well you are alone on an island, and I commend you for that.
But, I disagree vehemently. There doesn't seem to be any question about how good of a pitcher he is. This isn't like signing a 16 year old, or drafting an 18 year old. This isn't a matter of betting on tools or stuff. He's ready to step into any teams rotation as a #1 or #2 starter. Of course anything can happen, but in the same sense that anything can happen with any player - whether FA or homegrown.

As Chief said, there isn't a single GM in baseball that would say no at his minimal price tag.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#29 tvagle

tvagle

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Possibly due to public out cry and unfair firing practices here's one organization that seems to have Mike's back

https://sports.yahoo...-035924943.html

Twins odds just improved by 0.115%

Edited by tvagle, 02 December 2017 - 01:00 PM.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#30 Hollywood42

Hollywood42

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

2020- Where is Rosario going? And Sano moving to 1B? You're also missing a starter at 3B

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,400 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

Possibly due to public out cry and unfair firing practices here's one organization that seems to have Mike's back

I stand corrected. 29 MLB teams, not 30.
  • tvagle likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#32 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Ohtani is the ultimate pipe-dream: great hot-stove hopes. And while we all know the Twin Cities are a fabulous place to live, it isn't an obvious sell.

Young promising core? Well, Yankees have the same average age as the Twins.

Diversity - we fall short there.

If only Northwest Orient were still a thing - some of the best routes to Japan.

If you were Ohtani, would you sign here?

#33 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

What a bunch of clowns.
  • tvagle likes this

#34 Elliot

Elliot

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:52 AM

In question 1 you suggest signing Dozier to a 4/5 year extension, but in #2 he is gone by the second year unless he is the mysterious 3B.I am on board with that unless for some reason he or the management team feel he cannot play the position.

#35 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

In question 1 you suggest signing Dozier to a 4/5 year extension, but in #2 he is gone by the second year unless he is the mysterious 3B. I am on board with that unless for some reason he or the management team feel he cannot play the position.

Look again. He's the DH in #2.

#36 tvagle

tvagle

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

I stand corrected. 29 MLB teams, not 30.

Found this from Buster

• Surprisingly, at least three teams have not answered the information request made by Shohei Ohtani’s representatives last weekend.

If true (why would Buster make this up) Twins odds improved by 0.37%

#37 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

So Falvey and Levine what's plan B and C, Ohtani is out, not that he was ever realistically in with this franchise.
  • jimmer likes this