Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Brunansky: Next Twins hitting coach?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Howard Sinker's StribSports upload today calls our attention to a Rochester Democrat and Chronicle feature on Red Wings hitting coach Tom Brunansky. Good stuff in both articles.

http://www.startribu.../167029655.html

http://www.democrata...dyssey=nav|head

So here's the question... is Bruno best utilized in his current capacity of teaching prospects how to get to the Bigs or should he be considered for the Twins' hitting coach?
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#2 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

I think it's up to Bruno and how hard he wants to work. Big League coaching is tough...travelling all around the country and such. Minor League coaching has its advantages. WIll be interesting to see what does happen with the Twins and their coaching roster.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Honestly, I don't have many issues with Vavra. Since coming on board, few Twins hitters have underperformed. He's a radical departure from Scotty Swing Like A Man Ullger, who was an awful hitting coach.

Is Bruno better? I have no idea but if he's happy in Rochester, I don't see any rush to bump Vavra out of the position in Minnesota.

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Is Bruno better? I have no idea but if he's happy in Rochester, I don't see any rush to bump Vavra out of the position in Minnesota.

Here's the problem: nobody is "happy" with a minor league job when a major league job is available. This offseason, there are going to be some hitting coach positions available in the majors and I gotta imagine they'll want to interview Bruno.

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

seems like Bruno and Vavra have made a good team working with guys the other one couldn't fix. I'd hate to break that up... Maybe you can find a special assistant job where he and Vavra share hitting duties.... But it's nice having him in AAA, especially with the crop of talent coming up. I'd like to see him working with Benson on a consistent basis.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Here's the problem: nobody is "happy" with a minor league job when a major league job is available. This offseason, there are going to be some hitting coach positions available in the majors and I gotta imagine they'll want to interview Bruno.

Agreed. But is Bruno better enough to bump Vavra, who is probably the one Twins coach whose job hasn't been a spectacular failure over the past few years?

Either way, I wouldn't be too upset about it but I think Vavra has done a fine job as the hitting coach.

#7 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

You're probably right, John. Then again, Brunansky sounds like a guy who has found a calling that he enjoys and that's teaching young players to hit. He doesn't have to deal with MLB egos, guys who already think they know everything about hitting.

If his home is near San Diego, he's not going to be there much regardless of whether he's working in Rochester or Minneapolis. The travel is easier at the MLB level, certainly. As for compensation, there's no reason the Twins couldn't pay him him at the same level he'd get as a MLB hitting coach if they believe he's worth keeping.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to him. Terry Ryan seems impressed with him and it would certainly be a shame to lose him to another organization.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

#8 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

My guess is any coach would rather be in the Majors. The pay will be a lot better, the travel/ hotels better, meal money better and every other aspect would be better.

#9 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

I like that the Roc Observer columnist referred to "Todd Kubel." Sounds like Jason's deadbeat older brother.

#10 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Well they aren't going to fire Vavra just to promote Brunansky. I wonder if there is some kind of promotion they could give him, like a minor-league wide coordinator or something. It does seem like a waste right now, in that AAA teams have more journeyman than young prospects.

#11 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Probably Bruno's call. He seems to be doing well in AAA, which is a different coaching process than the majors. Probably be what makes him the happiest. I agree that Vavra is safe.

#12 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I like that the Roc Observer columnist referred to "Todd Kubel." Sounds like Jason's deadbeat older brother.

Todd, Jason, Bob, Carl, Sue... once a guy is no longer in the Twins organization, who really remembers or cares what his name is, anyway, right? :)
[/COLOR]

#13 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Fire Liddle, make Bruno bench coach.

#14 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

I believe if the Twins do not promote him after this year, we will lose him to another major league club. I would rather have him here and reassign Varna.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

And Stop Sign Scottie third base coach again?
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Personally, I'd dump Ulger and bring him up here... but that's me.

#17 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Let's encourage Ullger to interview with the Astros (or maybe the Red Sox), that would open a spot.

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

It would be a mistake to come back with the same coaching staff next year, hard to justify that after two seasons of more than 90 losses.

I thought Gardy might be toast but I do think he stays. He'll want to keep the same coaching staff, I wonder if Ryan has him make some changes, with Bruno and maybe even Molitor (if not someone else).
Papers...business papers.

#19 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

And Stop Sign Scottie third base coach again?

No he goes too.