Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Is It Over for the Wild?

rebuild
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

It's not like it's a one year thing. Every year it's another excuse why the Wild are just so unlucky in the playoffs.

You know it's not illegal for our goalie to stand on his head and match Allen, right?

I agree. I don't believe Dubnyk is as good as the top tier goalies in the league and it's more obvious this season than the past 3 he's been here. Dubnyk is as good as the defense plays in front of him. The Wild forwards aren't as good this season as they were last season and obviously our defensemen are worse as well.

Losing both Haula and Pommer from the forwards hurts a lot because they were sound two way players and were responsible. They weren't flashy on offense but they were solid. Stewart and Foligno are the same crappy player that isn't responsible on the defensive side and Quincy, Reilly and Olofsson are all bad or at least inconsistent on the defense side of things. All of these moves have exposed Dubnyk for the mediocre inconsistent goalie that he is.

#22 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

It's not like it's a one year thing. Every year it's another excuse why the Wild are just so unlucky in the playoffs.

I swear when I first read that, I thought you said Twins instead of Wild :-)

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,538 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

Edit : The main problem the Wild have run into is trading away so many draft picks. Also, I really feel like Fletcher butchered the expansion draft last year. Losing Haula and Tuch will hurt going forward. Tuch is going to be a really good player for the years to come.

Trading away draft picks is killing the farm system for sure. And they bent over backwards to ensure Matt Dumba remained with the Wild. Unfortunately he hasn't been worth the cost of keeping him so far this year. 

#24 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

That's absolutely false. Koivu does so much for this team that doesn't show up in the stat sheet.Also, for the points that he puts up he is right in line with what the going rate is. The top players in the league are now making $12M a season and next season his CAP hit will be $5.5M.His contract is not a problem for his production.

Edit : The main problem the Wild have run into is trading away so many draft picks. Also, I really feel like Fletcher butchered the expansion draft last year. Losing Haula and Tuch will hurt going forward. Tuch is going to be a really good player for the years to come.

Your opinions are valid, but they don’t make any of my statements false.

Expensive.
Multi-year.
Non All Star.
In his declining years.
Good enough to be a piece on a first round playoff team.
Not a top player on a conference championship team.
Using too much money to allow the team to get a top player, i.e., in combination with the Wild’s other expensive contracts with declining non All Stars, they will be challenged to afford a top player.

That doesn’t mean Koivu is terrible.

#25 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Koivu’s extension really isn’t that expensive.
  • jimmer and SF Twins Fan like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#26 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:30 PM

Don't look now....

#27 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:13 PM

Is Stalock one of the best names ever for a goalie?