Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Byung-Ho Park Signs With KBO’s Nexen Heroes

byungho park
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 andy4butler

andy4butler

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

I agreed with the Park signing at the time.With that being said, I can't imagine the "Japenese Babe Ruth" signing with this club that can't seem to figure out how to integrate players into a MLB roster without going through the traditional development process.It would certainly be in the back of my mind ... let alone the lack of marketing opportunities.  

#42 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

I agreed with the Park signing at the time.With that being said, I can't imagine the "Japenese Babe Ruth" signing with this club that can't seem to figure out how to integrate players into a MLB roster without going through the traditional development process.It would certainly be in the back of my mind ... let alone the lack of marketing opportunities.  

How much do Darvish or Tanaka make in endorsements? Marketing really isn't a factor especially since he is probably just as big of a star back home regardless of where he plays.

• Vanimal46 likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#43 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

Park wasn't a bad signing, it just didn't work out. Nothing was really messed up long term since the Twins didn't do anything while he was on the roster anyways.

I wish him the best of luck, but I am glad he is out of the organization. No need for him to be taking at bats from someone that can contribute in the future.

• glunn and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#44 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

And they had Plouffe and Sano which led to the failed experiment in RF. 

Certainly a crowd at 3B but I don't think the Park signing was the reason for Sano in RF.

• glunn likes this

#45 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:01 AM

Favoring over the hill veteran placeholders to unproven young talent isn't uncommon, but the Twins are notorious for their stubbornness to move on from said vets, even when the necessity for such a move is painfully obvious. To me, continuing to give innings to those players even after it's clear they aren't a better option is in essence "blocking." I think the term is often used in reference to those types of situations and not the talent level on the field actually keeping young players in the minors.

The silver lining is that this FO seems more willing to move on quickly from those types of players.

The confirmation of this silver lining will be no more Perkins or Hughes. Sentimentality may still raise its misguided folly.

#46 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

Certainly a crowd at 3B but I don't think the Park signing was the reason for Sano in RF.

The Twins opening day/month lineup was Plouffe at 3B and Park at DH. Combined those moves required Sano to be in RF. No ifs, ands or buts. 

Sano played 69/80 games in 2015 as DH or PH. The same would have happened the following year.

• Deduno Abides likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#47 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

The Twins opening day/month lineup was Plouffe at 3B and Park at DH. Combined those moves required Sano to be in RF. No ifs, ands or buts. 

Sano played 69/80 games in 2015 as DH or PH. The same would have happened the following year.

Torii Hunter was in RF in 15'.....

Sano isn't cracking a Hicks, Hunter, Rosario OF. He played more games at 3B than any other position in 16' so I'm not sure why you're convinced it would've been a repeat of 15' if not for Park. 

Plouffe at 3B obviously necessitated the move to RF but the Twins certainly didn't view Sano as only a DH. They didn't in 16' or 17', and they still don't (I'm on board with that.) Park shouldn't be the scapegoat for their inability to move on from Plouffe.

• EddieMatthews likes this

#48 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:27 AM

The confirmation of this silver lining will be no more Perkins or Hughes. Sentimentality may still raise its misguided folly.

They aren't picking up the option on Perkins so consider that wish granted.

Who knows if Hughes will be physically capable of pitching next season. The money is a sunk cost for the next two seasons so whether he's here or not they're paying. The best they can hope for is retirement or a recoup via insurance.  

#49 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

I'm sad that Park didn't work out.

I never really understood the signing at the time, but I liked the possibilities.

Even got his jersey for my birthday (in May) after he came out hot with a bunch of #ParkBangs.

You all can blame me.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, Doomtints and 1 other like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#50 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

They aren't picking up the option on Perkins so consider that wish granted.

Who knows if Hughes will be physically capable of pitching next season. The money is a sunk cost for the next two seasons so whether he's here or not they're paying. The best they can hope for is retirement or a recoup via insurance.  

Well...... I will consider it not happening when it doesn't happen. Minor league contract..... call up......... just because the option isn't picked up, doesn't mean Perkins will retire, and not be around in some fashion, yet.

#51 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

Torii Hunter was in RF in 15'.....

Sano isn't cracking a Hicks, Hunter, Rosario OF. He played more games at 3B than any other position in 16' so I'm not sure why you're convinced it would've been a repeat of 15' if not for Park. 

Plouffe at 3B obviously necessitated the move to RF but the Twins certainly didn't view Sano as only a DH. They didn't in 16' or 17', and they still don't (I'm on board with that.) Park shouldn't be the scapegoat for their inability to move on from Plouffe.

So you think that Sano would have played RF in 2015 if Hunter wasn't on the team?

He would have DH'd if the spot was open both of the seasons. In 2015 DH was open. In 2016 it wasn't.

#52 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

So you think that Sano would have played RF in 2015 if Hunter wasn't on the team?

He would have DH'd if the spot was open both of the seasons. In 2015 DH was open. In 2016 it wasn't.

I think he was used primarily as a DH because he was a midseason call up and they had a steady if unspectacular option already at 3B. 

The DH spot was open. Park didn't last 2 months with the Twins in 16' and Sano still played twice as many games in the field as he did at DH. They clearly aren't interested in relegating him to DH this early in his career, and they shouldn't be. 

#53 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,819 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

Park wasn't a bad signing, it just didn't work out. Nothing was really messed up long term since the Twins didn't do anything while he was on the roster anyways.

I wish him the best of luck, but I am glad he is out of the organization. No need for him to be taking at bats from someone that can contribute in the future.

Definitely agree on the first part. Always good to add talent, no matter where it is. Not quite sure on the second, but that's fine. I'm certainly not losing sleep on this.

The thing that I think we are all forgetting is that Park was essentially run out of the org because of the resurgence of Mauer. With Mauer hitting a lot more like the old Joe and Vargas essentially being a league average hitter, Park became very redundant.

#54 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,819 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

By the way, did anyone figure out if he was released or if his rights were sold back to Korea?

• glunn likes this

#55 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

LaVelle E. Neal wrote a little bit on the Park situation here: http://www.startribu...lure/461082683/

Once it becomes official, Byung Ho Park will rejoin the Nexen Heroes of the Korean Baseball Organization, and the Twins will not have to pay the final two years of Park’s four year, $12 million deal.

The sides are working toward an agreement to release Park from his deal.

• ashburyjohn and glunn like this

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#56 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

Molitor said on the record that he didn't like a young person like Sano sitting around while the rest of the team did fielding drills. This is why they square-pegged him to the outfield. 

#57 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

The obvious answer is that Sano should have been better in RF.
  • Jerr likes this
Papers...business papers.

#58 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

Molitor said on the record that he didn't like a young person like Sano sitting around while the rest of the team did fielding drills. This is why they square-pegged him to the outfield. 

Managers say a lot of things and then things change. They might not have liked Sano DH'ing but after the RF experiment failed they DH'd him plenty except for when Plouffe was injured.

A summary of where Sano played defensively in 2016

Park on the roster = RF

Plouffe injured = 3B

Plouffe not injured = mostly DH with 1-2 G/week at 3B

#59 EddieMatthews

EddieMatthews

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

This thread asked for Park memories.  Park hit a dinger to CF that must have carried 450 feet and from my seat in the first base section, it looked like the ball never was higher than 30 feet.  It was smoked.  

I was encouraged by some of his early at-bats.  Too bad he couldn't make the adjustment.  And as many have also stated, he didn't have a place to play.  Too many infielders, not enough (quality) outfielders that year.  

• 70charger likes this

#60 Walter's Whites

Walter's Whites

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

I bet the Pohlads aren't gung-ho about the dough they wasted on Byung-Ho to see if he could hit in the show.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byungho park