Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Sho Time: Could The Twins Really Land Ohtani?

shohei ohtani
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#21 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,846 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Ohtani pitches

Will he for our Twins come spring?

Oh, he also hits.

• ashburyjohn, Nick Nelson, Blake and 6 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

Interesting, but put me down as skeptical - especially on the batting side.Do you guarantee so many DH appearances to someone who might be overwhelmed like Park was?I love these stories - I believe that they are good for baseball especially in the offseason when everyone is a star.

#23 BuxtonBandwagon

BuxtonBandwagon

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

How much would it costs us to get Nick Saban, Coach K, John Calipari, and Urban Meyer to help us recruit him??

#24 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,640 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

Interesting, but put me down as skeptical - especially on the batting side.Do you guarantee so many DH appearances to someone who might be overwhelmed like Park was?I love these stories - I believe that they are good for baseball especially in the offseason when everyone is a star.

Yes, I tell him that he can expect to play 50 games at DH with additional pinch hitting time. He can play more if he can outhit Robbie Grossman. 

• sploorp and Vanimal46 like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#25 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

In my opinion the Twins have two chances at landing Ohtani - slim and none.  

I hope I'm wrong...

• DJSim22 likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

In my opinion the Twins have two chances at landing Ohtani - slim and none.  

I hope I'm wrong...

There are so many factors here - many of which we don't know - that I don't put the Twins above or below most teams (though I believe New York has an advantage over everyone else).

The Twins have a lot going for them:

1. Lots of cap space to give him $3m+

2. One of the youngest and most promising teams in baseball

3. Room to DH Ohtani and a pitching staff bad enough that he'll get plenty of opportunities

4. Great facilities

5. New front office with a forward-thinking mindset

But, hey, it's still Minnesota. That in itself may be a deal-breaker to someone with aspirations of New York or Los Angeles.

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

3. Room to DH Ohtani and a pitching staff bad enough that he'll get plenty of opportunities

This is the other thing that makes me skeptical about Otani wanting to come to MN:Expectations.Unless the Twins get another SP better than him, he will be their de facto ace, which might just be too much to handle his first season. In other teams, there are clear aces

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

A thought:

All the Twins' International Money plus some good to very good prospects for Seattle's James Paxton (and Ryon Healey as the 1B/ RF bat versus LHP).

• sploorp and gheggs42 like this

#29 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

How much would it costs us to get Nick Saban, Coach K, John Calipari, and Urban Meyer to help us recruit him??

But who would pay for the hot-tub "companions"?

#30 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

Whoever signs this guy, he should go straight to double A and earn his way onto a major league roster like everyone else. On the mound, he has great stuff you say? Great. Prove it at double A. At the plate, he can hit a little bit you say? Great. If he signs with a national league team and makes it as a starter, he can get two or three at bats in the games he starts, just like the other pitchers in the league who can hit a little bit.

If you think that this guy, or anyone ever, will be able to be a major league pitcher on an American league team and also DH, you are delusional. If Ohtani thinks he should even be given a chance to see if he can do it, he is delusional. There have been some published comments from Levine that the Twins are open to giving Ohtani the opportunity to pitch and hit if that's what it takes to sign him. If the Twins believe in Ohtani's ceiling and proximity to the show as a starting pitcher and it takes telling him he can hit to sign him, I don't know if I'm okay with that, because its a lie. I think that lying to or misleading prospective signees is an ugly direction to head in.

• Jerr and caninatl04 like this

#31 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,290 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

But, hey, it's still Minnesota. That in itself may be a deal-breaker to someone with aspirations of New York or Los Angeles.

Although ... he could choose Minnesota to get his feet wet in the MLB ... a more 'friendly' market and definitely less 'stressful' market ... 

I know, I know ... I just keep letting hope get in the way ... 

• Blake, Jerr, BuxtonBandwagon and 1 other like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#32 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

Just tossing this out there: how much would that short right field in Yankee Stadium affect the decision of a pitcher to sign?

I took a quick look and all I can find is glowing reports about Ohtani with nothing that indicates what kind of pitcher he is. 

I almost have to believe that if Ohtani is a strike out pitcher, then he probably induces a fair amount of fly balls. 

At Target Field that might play well.

At Yankee Stadium, not sure that would be a good thing.

Just my .02. And we know how far .02 will go.

#33 BuxtonBandwagon

BuxtonBandwagon

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

But who would pay for the hot-tub "companions"?

Richard (Rick) Pitino. Seems up his alley for some reason

#34 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

Ohtani pitches

Will he for our Twins come spring?

Oh, he also hits.

Signing with the Twins

Purchase MLB The Show

Should be a good time

• USAFChief and caninatl04 like this

#35 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Just for the sake of argument, let's say Darvish and Ohtani sign here on the same day...

That passes Parise/Suter, right?

I would argue, other than actual championships, it's the biggest moment in MN Sports history.

Parise's contract was always considered a bad deal and has been considered one of the worst or the worst contract in the NHL over the past few years.Let's hope Darvish doesn't make the baseball lists...

#36 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

This is the other thing that makes me skeptical about Otani wanting to come to MN:Expectations.Unless the Twins get another SP better than him, he will be their de facto ace, which might just be too much to handle his first season. In other teams, there are clear aces

f he is as good as they say he is, he would likely be the Ace for most teams

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,281 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

Although ... he could choose Minnesota to get his feet wet in the MLB ... a more 'friendly' market and definitely less 'stressful' market ... 

I know, I know ... I just keep letting hope get in the way ... 

Nothing wrong with a little hope. The national media is saying NY is the favorite, but there's really nothing but speculation to base it on (money plus lore). Ohtani is, without question, pursuing something other than money for this, which is what would normally make NY the favorite.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ohtani is not in NY, Boston, or LA come 2018. So yeah, hope away.

• sploorp likes this

#38 gagu

gagu

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationLimache, Chile

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

I worry about Seattle more than NY. Otani grew up during Ichiru's ten All-Star seasons there. Seattle got a ton of coverage in Japan during that time. In 2010, Seattle had a 14% Asian population, though only 1.1% Japanese. The downtown inner harbor zip code is 7.7 %Japanese, a pure downtown area with a small population, but high rent housing and close to Safeco. It's also the closest location to Japan.

I think a lot depends on how money hungry Otani is and how much influence his agent carries. His agent is likely pushing NYC. 

NYC for the hard cash, Seattle for the comfort, and the Twins for the best spot to start his MLB career.

• Jerr, brvama and Oldgoat_MN like this

#39 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

The agent is probably working on an under the board deal with the Yankees to give him a 100m extension after a few months here. I'm not joking. MLB.com had an article about it a few weeks ago about how MLB is really trying hard to make sure nothing like that is happening. 

#40 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

I don't think anyone's going to expect a 23-year-old with zero MLB experience to be their "de facto ace" right off the bat. But Ohtani might appreciate walking into a situation where he could potentially earn that label with relative ease. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shohei ohtani