Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

National Writers on Twins Prospects

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#161 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

The Twins high ceiling prospects are mostly all young and/or in the lower levels. It's rare to find guys in A ball at the top of lists. If Lewis, Rooker, Javier, Badoo, Kiriloff, Graterol or Enlow do in AA what they did in prior levels, they're going to fly up the rankings. 

The Twins high ceiling guys have already graduated, aside from Romero, the top guys in AA/AAA are just solid but unexciting prospects. If they were better they would have been called up last year.

Does any club have a Buxton, Sano, Berrios and Kepler lurking in AAA year after year after year? 

• PseudoSABR, dgwills and howieramone2 like this

#162 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

I shared this on Twitter, but I thought the link may be appreciated here on Twins Daily in general. I took a lot of the local team lists and national team lists along with the national overall lists and positional rankings list and put together a Google docs sheet with all of the Twins prospects to see how they rank when you compile all rankings together:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

This has rankings from a host of folks here at TD, including all the rankings from the prospect handbook, the TD top 20, and a few folks on the site as well that have their own published lists. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing, Cool view.FYI Sickels updated his list and swapped Rooker and Gonsalves.  

#163 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

The Twins high ceiling prospects are mostly all young and/or in the lower levels. It's rare to find guys in A ball at the top of lists. If Lewis, Rooker, Javier, Badoo, Kiriloff, Graterol or Enlow do in AA what they did in prior levels, they're going to fly up the rankings. 

The Twins high ceiling guys have already graduated, aside from Romero, the top guys in AA/AAA are just solid but unexciting prospects. If they were better they would have been called up last year.

Does any club have a Buxton, Sano, Berrios and Kepler lurking in AAA year after year after year? 

I guess I'd suggest tempering your enthusiasm a bit. If you do a spot check of Sickle's Top 20 prospects for many of the better systems, you'll find that most clubs have almost as many prospects on their list who hadn't advanced past A ball last season. The Twins had 11, San Diego 11, NYY 10, ATL 9...Philly probably has even more. So, given the numbers, we may not see as many of these guys fly up the rankings as we would like, we'll see. We need to get lucky.

As to your last question, I keep looking at that White Sox pipeline and it's more impressive than any I've seen here, ever. Moncada, Jiminez, Robert are no slouches compared to our guys, and they have a number of "front end" starters climbing quickly and ready soon to join the likes of Giolito, Lopez, Rodon. Kopech, Cease, Hansen, Dunning, and Fullmer, all but Hansen former 1st round picks, and Hansen was a 2nd rounder. These guys scare me. The main flaw is the lack of those unsung types in adequate numbers, guys like Rosario, Rogers, Duffey, Hildenberger, etc. But they'll have "financial flexibility to address that and maybe still be in the running for a top FA acquisition.

Edited by birdwatcher, 16 March 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#164 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

I guess I'd suggest tempering your enthusiasm a bit. If you do a spot check of Sickle's Top 20 prospects for many of the better systems, you'll find that most clubs have almost as many prospects on their list who hadn't advanced past A ball last season. The Twins had 11, San Diego 11, NYY 10, ATL 9...Philly probably has even more. So, given the numbers, we may not see as many of these guys fly up the rankings as we would like, we'll see. We need to get lucky.

As to your last question, I keep looking at that White Sox pipeline and it's more impressive than any I've seen here, ever. Moncada, Jiminez, Robert are no slouches compared to our guys, and they have a number of "front end" starters climbing quickly and ready soon to join the likes of Giolito, Lopez, Rodon. Kopech, Cease, Hansen, Dunning, and Fullmer, all but Hansen former 1st round picks, and Hansen was a 2nd rounder. These guys scare me. The main flaw is the lack of those unsung types in adequate numbers, guys like Rosario, Rogers, Duffey, Hildenberger, etc. But they'll have "financial flexibility to address that and maybe still be in the running for a top FA acquisition.

I don't know that my expectations are overly high, I just think it's unrealistic for people to expect the Twins to have a top ten system year after year after year. The timing is never going to work unless a team nails each and every early draft pick and they all are on the same development schedule.

Your elite guys are going to jump levels and get to the majors quickly while your developmental guys are going to take their time. It's a rollercoaster and the Twins just had an out-of-nowhere winning season last year because the last group of prospects just clicked at the majors. They have 3-4 guys left in the high minors, after that, it's the high ceiling low minors guys. The timing is almost surely never going to allow for a team to always have their high ceiling talent in the upper minors and if the team's best talent isn't at the upper minors you're not going to be high on these lists.

• birdwatcher and beckmt like this

#165 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,762 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

There is, imo, a difference between wanting something, and expecting something.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 16 March 2018 - 01:11 PM.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#166 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Here is a list of people expecting them to be top ten every year

I guess I assumed the general feeling of disappointment thus far in the discussion was not that the players aren't rated higher but the fact that the Twins had not put themselves in the position to be in the top ten this year. My opinion was that it's unfair for us to expect them to be in that position every year.

But perhaps I mis-read the vibe of the conversation.

#167 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,762 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

I guess I assumed the general feeling of disappointment thus far in the discussion was not that the players aren't rated higher but the fact that the Twins had not put themselves in the position to be in the top ten this year. My opinion was that it's unfair for us to expect them to be in that position every year.

But perhaps I mis-read the vibe of the conversation.

See the new version of that post.... Which is highly redacted and edited 😀

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#168 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

Fangraphs writer makes some predictions for the upcoming season and it included this one - https://www.fangraph...edictions-2018/

7. Akil Baddoo is a Top 50 prospect by season’s end (FanGraphs)

Let the record show that this bold prospect prediction has been penned before Eric and Kiley finish their 2018 Twins team top prospect list.The age 19 outfielder did not land on the recent FanGraphs Top 100 prospect list, but he did make an appearance as an honorable mention of sorts here.Baddoo is intriguing because of his speed (above average), his high probability of sticking in center field, and most importantly, for his ability to flat out hit.At the age of 18 (2017), Baddoo managed a .963 OPS while walking more than he struck out.That combination of youthful power, speed, and discipline just doesn’t materialize very often, and if his profile continues to develop over a larger sample, Baddoo may rocket up the prospect lists with an almost Ronald Acuna-type trajectory. Projecting prospects is hard, and predicting prospect breakouts is bold, but Baddoo has a foundation that looks promising.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 7 others like this

#169 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,762 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

scottz
1:04 What do you think is the most likely outcome for each of these current Twins shortstop prospects: Lewis, Gordon, Javier?

Eric A Longenhagen
1:04 Star in CF, average everyday 2B, potential above-avg regular at SS

https://www.fangraph...ects-chat-3-20/

• dgwills, Platoon and GP830 like this

#170 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

scottz
1:04 What do you think is the most likely outcome for each of these current Twins shortstop prospects: Lewis, Gordon, Javier?

Eric A Longenhagen

That all seems very reasonable to me.

• birdwatcher and Platoon like this

#171 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,395 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

An average everyday 2B is nothing to sneeze at, if that's how it plays out.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, James and 1 other like this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#172 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, but is that a historically average 2B? Or a 2017 average 2B? Because in today's game it seems most teams' 2B is typically one of their best hitters.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#173 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,395 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, but is that a historically average 2B? Or a 2017 average 2B? Because in today's game it seems most teams' 2B is typically one of their best hitters.

I don't know. I'm just glad to see a national writer giving our prospect at least that much recognition, compared to some of the forecasts it seems like are out there.

• birdwatcher and nicksaviking like this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#174 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,345 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

You're all burying the lead story here...

Why didn't scottz ask if the Twins won yet?
  • Carole Keller, James and nicksaviking like this

#175 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

And really, that's not all that different from the more moderate scouting projections by the experts when he was drafted. There wasn't that much controversy about the wisdom of the decision.

Ya gotta like what he says about Javier and Lewis though. Fingers crossed he's right about all three!

• Oldgoat_MN and Platoon like this

#176 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

scottz

Eric A Longenhagen

Interesting.I imagine simple law of averages points to CF rather than SS for Lewis.But, I also think it is 100% reasonable for the Twins to play Lewis every day at SS as long as they can until he proves the theory.

Also, another opinion that could be interpreted to suggest that it's less likely that the Twins would try to wedge Gordon into the SS void created by Polanco's suspension...regardless of how good the start at Rochester.

• birdwatcher and gunnarthor like this

#177 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,762 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

mike sixel
1:58 Nick Gordon....future second basemam? SS in MN this year, in about 4-6 weeks? SS in the future? Traded?

Keith Law
1:58 I believe he can play SS, but they seem to view him internally as a 2b.

• birdwatcher and Jnball43 like this

#178 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

I spent a significant amount of time this afternoon looking into who was ranked on Sickels list. You're general premise is right but your level designation is wrong. The cutoff is rookie ball.

Level: # Players

Rk: 10

A-: 15

A : 26

A+: 26

AA: 41

AAA: 21

MLB: 33

Of those in rookie ball who made the list seven were 2017 high draft picks (Greene, Gore, etc...). Then there were big money international signings. Luis Robert just signed for $26 million which is the second largest amatuer international FA signing at the time and Javier signed for $4 million. So only one player who ended his season at rookie ball and wasn't a big time prospect before the season made his top 175 players. Since Baddoo, Graterol, Kiriloff and Enlow haven't progressed past rookie ball it isn't surprising they aren't on the list. If they continue to dominate they will be next year.

This all holds true for MLB.com's list as well.

• birdwatcher and Oldgoat_MN like this

#179 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,762 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Dane26
1:45 Does Akil Baddoo have the tools to be an above-average regular?

Keith Law
1:45 Absolutely.

• birdwatcher and gunnarthor like this

#180 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,762 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:05 PM

Seath
2:02 Were you pleased to see the twins started Rooker at AA? You think he could contribute to the big club this year?
Keith Law
2:03 I was - shows they get the issue around his age and also believe his new-ish swing is going to work at the lower levels. Don't waste his time; if he's going to be good, it will happen very soon.

• gunnarthor likes this