Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

National Writers on Twins Prospects

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#41 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

He's been very high on Buxton, Kepler and Rosario (he might be the high man on Rosario). He did think Berrios' height would move him to the pen but I think he's been, more or less, fair to the Twins. He also was the high man on our system last offseason, ranking us #11 while BA had us around #20 or so.

I think he didn't like our haul b/c the prospects we got back were meh types. At best, we probably got a back-up defensive catcher and a low level avg OF or 4th OFer.

Yeah, I think your examples support an opinion that KLAW has been fair. If he's been unfair and yet thought the Twin's system was a top third system, then yay for us.

IMO, if we get a superb defensive MLB backup C and a MLB 4th OF, that would be a very nice result.

• howieramone2 likes this

#42 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:23 PM

I did not see this anywhere in the string, so I thought I would add that Sickels updated his Top 20 Twins Prospects for 2018.

https://www.minorlea...spects-for-2018

The aspect I like about Sickels is his grades help with an understanding of the overall quality of talent and also the overall depth of any meaningful amount (C or better grades, which include prospects viewed as having at least a chance to become role players). 

I like to compare the Twins pipeline against its AL Central rivals. Some interesting things so far, the caveat being he's not yet updated CWS, DET, and CLE:

1) Sickles gives grades of B- or higher to 21 Twins prospects! This is a big number. For example, in 2017, the top-ranked Braves had 18 B- or higher prospects. The Twins had 14 in 2017.

2) Compare this to his 2018 KC list. The Twins have 9 prospects graded HIGHER than KC's highest graded prospect (B-). Of the 21 Twins prospects, only 3 of them graded as low as C+/B-. Of KC's 11 prospects, 7 of the 11 were C+/B- guys. Think about this. That means in Sickle's opinion, 18 Twins prospects grade out higher than all but 4 prospects in KC's system.

3) Comparing the Twins 21 B- or better grades to its division rivals using 2017 grades shows CLE with 15, one more than the Twin's' 14. After that, the fast-improving CWS were at 11, KC at 8, and DET at 6. That said, I'd guess both DET and CWS will look considerably better in 2018.

But still, 21 prospects grading out at B- or above indicates a system with pretty solid quality in very solid quantities.

4. Additionally, he grades another 14 prospects as C+ guys. His C+ list includes Granite, Curtiss, Slegers, Jorge, Rosario, and Stewart. So, that's 35 prospects at C+ or better. I don't think any team in the AL Central had even 20 guys graded this highly in 2017, including the Twins. All the encouraging minor league performances we saw last season added up I guess.

5. Another 27 prospects got a C grade. This includes guys like Chargois, Enns, Reed, and Melotakis. So that's 62 prospects in the system that one analyst thinks have at least enough going for them to eventually get a cup of coffee. And if you find his grades to be less than credible, you'll have to explain to me how Granite, Curtiss, Slegers, Jorge, Rosario, Chargois, and Enns--none of them graded out as among our top 21 prospects---have already sipped from a clubhouse coffee mug.

Quibble about his expertise if you wish, but how is this anything other than encouraging, right?

Edited by birdwatcher, 21 December 2017 - 03:34 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN, PseudoSABR, Dman and 2 others like this

#43 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:28 PM

He put Royce Lewis's ETA at 2019? Damn, that'd be quick. I wouldn't complain if it actually happened, but that seems super accelerated.

• birdwatcher and Thrylos like this

#44 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

Also seems that the Palka and Dereck Rodriguez losses haven't hit his radar yet. And no word on Yunior Severino, which I'm pretty damn curious about.

• Thrylos likes this

#45 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

He put Royce Lewis's ETA at 2019? Damn, that'd be quick. I wouldn't complain if it actually happened, but that seems super accelerated.

Yeah, he's got a slew of guys pegged for 2018 or 2019.

#46 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

Also seems that the Palka and Dereck Rodriguez losses haven't hit his radar yet. And no word on Yunior Severino, which I'm pretty damn curious about.

Goodrum too.

#47 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Goodrum too.

And Rosario.

#48 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

The update just shuffled any Rule 5 guys. No change in guys that were acquired yet. John typically does that in February.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#49 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

Severino was a C+ guy when he rated the Braves organization.I guess he just missed him in the update.

#50 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

I noticed that also. What I have taken away from Lewis thus far is, his arm is not as strong as Buxton, but his hit tool is more advanced. He also has position versatility. Could be the fast mover we all want. Lewis to LF, Rosario to RF, and Kepler to 1B by 2019?

• birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

It's official. We received more for board scapegoat John Ryan Murphy, than we did for board favorites Pinto, Arcia, and Vargas combined.

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,247 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

BoofBonser
12:40 Most exciting prospect in the Twins system besides Royce Lewis?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:41 I think Akil Badoo is exciting, Wander Javier, think LaMonte Wade is real...lotta guys
  • Vanimal46 likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#52 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,247 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

SSS
12:11 Any thoughts on Alex Kiriloff? He dropped far in all the rankings despite a great 2016, and the fact that his TJ was on his non-throwing arm. It won’t hurt his hit tool or power will it?

Kiley McDaniel
12:12 Tend to agree, more that he hasn't played much in pro ball and lost some name hype as a result than his long-term outlook has changed. I was bullish on him the summer before he was drafted and still am. Not enormous upside since he's a corner OF without a 7 tool, but there's a broad base of tools and skills.

https://www.fangraph...l-chat-1-24-18/

• birdwatcher and MN_ExPat like this

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,247 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Greg
1:04 Which team has the best collection of far away guys that are volatile but have great upside?

Eric A Longenhagen
1:05 SD, MIN, TB
OAK

Not a Phillies Fan
1:23 Thoughts on Brusdar Graterol's ceiling? I feel like he could pull a Forrest Whitely this year

Eric A Longenhagen
1:23 I didn't plan it this way but this was literally the next question in the queue.
1:24 I like Brusdar! but he's a short strider who some scouts haven't seen a changeup from, so there's pretty significant relief risk. But he's upper-90s with a plus slider.

https://www.fangraph...ects-chat-1-30/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 30 January 2018 - 12:29 PM.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and nytwinsfan like this

#54 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Greg
1:04 Which team has the best collection of far away guys that are volatile but have great upside?

Eric A Longenhagen
1:05 SD, MIN, TB
OAK

Not a Phillies Fan
1:23 Thoughts on Brusdar Graterol's ceiling? I feel like he could pull a Forrest Whitely this year

Eric A Longenhagen
1:23 I didn't plan it this way but this was literally the next question in the queue.
1:24 I like Brusdar! but he's a short strider who some scouts haven't seen a changeup from, so there's pretty significant relief risk. But he's upper-90s with a plus slider.

https://www.fangraph...ects-chat-1-30/

Hell yes.

#55 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,247 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

James
12:23 How bullish is Kiley on Brent Rooker's bat?

Kiley McDaniel
12:24 Kiley was a little skeptical of it when Rooker was an amateur, but his debut was better than Kiley was expecting. Kiley thinks it's still fringy bat, plus power, questionable defensive value but it's something worth watching, not just some stiff 4A power guy

Derek Falvey
12:45 I'm planning on going to spring training this year and watch some backfield games. Which Twins prospect should I watch?

Kiley McDaniel
12:45 I feel like I should be asking you this. But I would recommend BRUSDAR.

https://www.fangraph...l-chat-1-31-18/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 31 January 2018 - 11:48 AM.

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,247 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Marshall MN
2:05 Klaw, last week you gave a pretty quick reply to a question about whether Stephen Gonsalves was considered as a Top 100 prospect.I realize that I am scouting the stat line some (that is all I CAN do afterall), but what did you hear this year as compared to last year when he did make the Top 100?Also...thank you!

Keith Law
2:06 Same guy he was a year ago, still doesn't have the average breaking ball to make him more than a back end starter.

#57 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

You know, if Gonsalves ends up having Tommy Milone's career, well, that's really not that bad.Milone had a pretty solid rookie year and, when healthy, had a few other moments. 

• markos and MN_ExPat like this

#58 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

You know, if Gonsalves ends up having Tommy Milone's career, well, that's really not that bad.Milone had a pretty solid rookie year and, when healthy, had a few other moments. 

Especially as a 4th rounder!

#59 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Especially as a 4th rounder!

Yep. That said, I'm hoping he ends up a lot better than Milone or at least a healthier Milone for a few years ...

#60 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

Baseball America has released their prospect rankings by organization. Twins shown as 12th. Angels make the biggest jump (16 spots), followed by Jays (13) and Twins (10).

Edited by dbminn, 01 February 2018 - 02:34 PM.

• MN_ExPat likes this