Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

National Writers on Twins Prospects

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

Thought it might make sense to start a thread on random notes we come across.

• Thrylos and clutterheart like this
Papers...business papers.

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

From Longenhagen chat:

11:08 Jordan: What do you think the chances are that a year from now, Akil Baddoo’s name is creeping onto top 100’s?

11:08 Eric A Longenhagen: I think they’re pretty good and non-zero chance he’s already there.

• gunnarthor and Dance with Disco Dan like this

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

From Longenhagen chat:

11:08 Jordan: What do you think the chances are that a year from now, Akil Baddoo’s name is creeping onto top 100’s?

11:08 Eric A Longenhagen: I think they’re pretty good and non-zero chance he’s already there.

Good idea.

Really like Baddoo, too.

#4 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

More Longenhagen chat:

Peter: Bold: Akil Baddoo will be a top 50 prospect by the end of 2018. Your thoughts?
Eric A Longenhagen: Aggressive but not impossible

fddhfjd: Does Alex Kiriloff get back on the top-100 radar this year?
Eric A Longenhagen: Yes

• Seth Stohs, gunnarthor and MN_ExPat like this

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:33 AM

Quick hits from Rotographs:

https://www.fangraph...innesota-twins/

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Sickels on newly acquired Pearson:

https://www.minorlea...nal-bonus-money

• gunnarthor and Dman like this

#7 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Sickels on Banuelos:

https://www.minorlea...nal-bonus-money

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,064 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

Sickels isn't exactly excited...

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Sickels isn't exactly excited...

Yes, and I do not get it. Here is the thing:The kid hit .236/.331/.394 in short season A his first year as a pro, after a whole year of College ball.He had 328 AB for the season, up from 110 last season.  Perennial All Star catcher's Yadier Molina's career OBP is .338, and SLG .403. That is not that far away from the apparently "disappointing" pro debut Banuelos had.

He is a catcher with allegedly top notch defense and a cannon arm.Got to put things into perspective...

• Oldgoat_MN, Bob Sacamento, Dman and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

From Law's chat:

GS: Thoughts on players the Twins received in bonus pool trades? Think they handled the money well?

Keith Law: Meh.

• USAFChief and gunnarthor like this

#11 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

Keith Law must have been passed over for a job with the Twins as I can't recall him ever liking a move they've made or a prospect coming up through the system

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,064 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

From Law's chat:

GS: Thoughts on players the Twins received in bonus pool trades? Think they handled the money well?

Keith Law: Meh.

My feelings exactly. But that is still better than nothing.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,543 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

My feelings exactly. But that is still better than nothing.

Agree on both fronts. A little too much excitement for these moves, but definitely better than nothing.

• nicksaviking likes this

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:44 PM

Keith Law must have been passed over for a job with the Twins as I can't recall him ever liking a move they've made or a prospect coming up through the system

He's been very high on Buxton, Kepler and Rosario (he might be the high man on Rosario). He did think Berrios' height would move him to the pen but I think he's been, more or less, fair to the Twins. He also was the high man on our system last offseason, ranking us #11 while BA had us around #20 or so.

I think he didn't like our haul b/c the prospects we got back were meh types. At best, we probably got a back-up defensive catcher and a low level avg OF or 4th OFer.

• howieramone2 likes this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,064 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

Hahahahaha. He loved Buxton. And Kepler. And Thorpe. Seriously.
  • tvagle likes this

#16 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Hahahahaha. He loved Buxton. And Kepler. And Thorpe. Seriously.

He's been very high on Buxton, Kepler and Rosario (he might be the high man on Rosario). He did think Berrios' height would move him to the pen but I think he's been, more or less, fair to the Twins. He also was the high man on our system last offseason, ranking us #11 while BA had us around #20 or so.

I think he didn't like our haul b/c the prospects we got back were meh types. At best, we probably got a back-up defensive catcher and a low level avg OF or 4th OFer.

Ok so I may be suffering Ohtani (the act of over-exaggerating a point/stance/opinion on something that one really doesn't have factual information to back it up)

I stand corrected on KLaw...but honestly who wasn't high on Buxton :)

• gunnarthor, Oldgoat_MN and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#17 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

Klaws takes are often more right than wrong.I don't always love to hear what he has to say but I do respect his opinion as he typically knows what he is talking about.He can be completely wrong but given my experience it has been rare.I typically take what he has to say seriously.He is a pretty good judge of talent.Not perfect but very good.

#18 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

I stand corrected on KLaw...but honestly who wasn't high on Buxton :)

Have you ever gone to other teams milb forums? God, other teams hated Bust-on. But it was jealousy.  

#19 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

I've been reading all the prospect guys for a long time. Keith Law is one of the one's I trust the most.

What I like about him, is he doesn't necessarily sugarcoat things. You have a #HotTake on a prospect? He'll call you out on it and tell you why. 

And to be honest (it's just the way he writes that I'm illustrating above), fans of every team would say he "hates them." It's because he's honest. Every team's fans like to think they have a bunch of future all-stars, but that's not nearly the reality, and is what Law's opinions generally illustrate.

• Dman, jimmer and VirginSturgeon like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#20 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

I've been reading all the prospect guys for a long time. Keith Law is one of the one's I trust the most.

What I like about him, is he doesn't necessarily sugarcoat things. You have a #HotTake on a prospect? He'll call you out on it and tell you why. 

And to be honest (it's just the way he writes that I'm illustrating above), fans of every team would say he "hates them." It's because he's honest. Every team's fans like to think they have a bunch of future all-stars, but that's not nearly the reality, and is what Law's opinions generally illustrate.

Yeah, he's fair. I'm not sure he's the best at the actual prospecting part - I like mlb.com's team a lot more and over the years, BP has had some great ones (but they keep getting hired by real teams). 

• Steve Lein likes this