Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Part 6: Seth's Updated Top 50 Twins Prospects (11-15)

lewin diaz lamonte wade mitch garver lewis thorpe zack littell
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

Garver must be tired of being on your list by now.Every year the potential puts him in the rankings, but every year there is a new obstacle.I hope this is the year where he does not see any more minor league time.He is not going to be a star but he is good enough to be in the majors.  

I hope Lewis can match his potential, at this time his injuries have been his big story and I have not seen enough to say that he should rank this high.  

​Wade and Diaz are a real pair - potential for power, a steady performance by Wade and anticipation in Diaz, but at this point I do not see their future with the Twins. 

If Littell is as good as his record (I do count wins) then we really pulled on over on the Yankees.I hope this is true. 

• DocBauer and dbminn like this

#22 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

If Littell is as good as his record (I do count wins) then we really pulled on over on the Yankees.I hope this is true. 

I hope so too. Littel has been so dominant - at least from a win-loss perspective – that it makes me wonder.  He could be legiit or he could be one of those guys who dominate in the minors but can't find the same success in the majors.

Time will tell.

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

The two with high ceilings here are Thorpe (obviously) and Littell (potential to be a long-term starter).Garver and Wade will be at best role players, and Diaz' future is murky.I would rank these five as

1. Thorpe
2. Littell
3. Garver
4.Wade
5. Diaz

I'm going to have to disagree a bit here. There are very few catchers who can hit the way Garver does. What little I saw of him behind the plate after his call up looked fine to me. Can't recall the game, or pitcher, but in one game he looked impressive blocking the plate and handling some low throws. It still comes down to game calling and controlling the game overall, but I see a potentially solid receiver with an above average bat.

Wade...simply depends on a little more pop. He can muster that, his bat could and eye could not only make him useful, but even a top of the order hitter with power at various other spots in the lineup.

I agree with Diaz at the bottom of these 5 due to being in A ball, still developing his stroke, and proving he can be at least a decent defensive 1B. However, the strength seems to be there. 33 doubles and 12 HR at A ball is actually pretty decent.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,225 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

Regarding Wade, I am not that optimistic after this season (and AFL) as I was after the previous season. 

What concerns me:

a. His durability.2017 was the first season he played in more than 88 games, and got his worst OBP (.805) in the regular season and went all the way down to .763 in the AFL.

b. His power should have been better.32 xBH (7 HR) out of 124, make him pretty much a singles hitter.That 25.8% xBH is Nick Punto territory (career 23.4% xBH).He will be 24 1/1/18.Those numbers should definitely be better by now.

c. Will he come back from his concussion?He also missed a couple months in 2016 with injuries.

I got to see bit more of Littell video (and in person next ST) before I form a solid opinion, but I think that he is underrated.Other than the W-L numbers, his 2016 in the Mariners organization was equally good as his 2017, so he has been building up as he moves levels.He was drafted as a High Schooler and these guys sometimes take time to click and Littell looks like he did.I'd have him higher for Thorpe (who still walks too many) for sure, just not sure how high yet.

Diaz hit .292/.329/.444 as a 20 year old in full season A ball and decreased his K% all the way down to 15.7%, which is pretty darn good for a power hitter.Definitely a top 10 talent, even though this organization got better than last year.

• Tom Froemming likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

I hope so too. Littel has been so dominant - at least from a win-loss perspective – that it makes me wonder.  He could be legiit or he could be one of those guys who dominate in the minors but can't find the same success in the majors.

Time will tell.

The issue is with the coaching staff.Lets hope they can bring him to the next level. 

#26 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

I knew Gonsalves was going to be added to the 40-man, but was really excited to see that Thorpe was also.I expect he is a Top 5 prospect, but understand that he needs to pitch next year before you, or anyone else, can put him there.Personally, I believe he has the highest ceiling of anyone in the organization right now...well maybe second to that other Lewis.

My question, Seth, is why you have Garver this low.His floor is that of a major league backup catcher, which he likely will be in 2018.His ceiling is a starting catcher, likely beginning in 2020.He is expected to hit better than your average catcher and you say he has a cannon for an arm.All reports have him improving a lot defensively, so we could expect that he should continue to get better and eventually be average or even above average behind the plate.

Sounds a lot to me like someone who should be 5-10 spots higher than he is.

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Regarding Wade, I am not that optimistic after this season (and AFL) as I was after the previous season. 

What concerns me:

a. His durability.2017 was the first season he played in more than 88 games, and got his worst OBP (.805) in the regular season and went all the way down to .763 in the AFL.
b. His power should have been better.32 xBH (7 HR) out of 124, make him pretty much a singles hitter.That 25.8% xBH is Nick Punto territory (career 23.4% xBH).He will be 24 1/1/18.Those numbers should definitely be better by now.
c. Will he come back from his concussion?He also missed a couple months in 2016 with injuries.

I got to see bit more of Littell video (and in person next ST) before I form a solid opinion, but I think that he is underrated.Other than the W-L numbers, his 2016 in the Mariners organization was equally good as his 2017, so he has been building up as he moves levels.He was drafted as a High Schooler and these guys sometimes take time to click and Littell looks like he did.I'd have him higher for Thorpe (who still walks too many) for sure, just not sure how high yet.

Diaz hit .292/.329/.444 as a 20 year old in full season A ball and decreased his K% all the way down to 15.7%, which is pretty darn good for a power hitter.Definitely a top 10 talent, even though this organization got better than last year.

Hey, I think the jury is still out on Wade see to be sure, but these days, isn't the AFL considered a bit of a stepping stone? And while a numbers tick-up is awesome, isnt hanging in or a small step down, competition being considered between AA and AAA, considered solid? I know it's a SSS, but it seems he held his own.

Hope you are right about Littell. What's the old line now? There are lies, damn lies and statistics. But at the end of the day, doesn't Littrel just look like a solid prospect?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

I agree with Diaz at the bottom of these 5 due to being in A ball, still developing his stroke, and proving he can be at least a decent defensive 1B. However, the strength seems to be there. 33 doubles and 12 HR at A ball is actually pretty decent.

If you think Diaz should be low because he only played in A ball in 2017, you may not want to read the Top 10 prospects.... 

• ashburyjohn, Thrylos, RaymondLuxuryYacht and 1 other like this

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

I knew Gonsalves was going to be added to the 40-man, but was really excited to see that Thorpe was also.I expect he is a Top 5 prospect, but understand that he needs to pitch next year before you, or anyone else, can put him there.Personally, I believe he has the highest ceiling of anyone in the organization right now...well maybe second to that other Lewis.

My question, Seth, is why you have Garver this low.His floor is that of a major league backup catcher, which he likely will be in 2018.His ceiling is a starting catcher, likely beginning in 2020.He is expected to hit better than your average catcher and you say he has a cannon for an arm.All reports have him improving a lot defensively, so we could expect that he should continue to get better and eventually be average or even above average behind the plate.

Sounds a lot to me like someone who should be 5-10 spots higher than he is.

I'm a big Garver fan... Part of it might be that he's going to turn 27 soon. I don't think that makes him less of a player, and I agree that he can (maybe should) be a starter)... I also don't know how much opportunity he'll get. Which isn't his fault. 

I'd just be curious how people feel about the rankings of these five prospects when placed in context with the guys I do have in the top 10.

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

I'm a big Garver fan... Part of it might be that he's going to turn 27 soon. I don't think that makes him less of a player, and I agree that he can (maybe should) be a starter)... I also don't know how much opportunity he'll get. Which isn't his fault.

I'd just be curious how people feel about the rankings of these five prospects when placed in context with the guys I do have in the top 10.

I'm higher on Thorpe, but I personally agree with the placement of all these guys in the top 15, and probably wouldn't have the non-Thorpes in this group break the top 10.
Papers...business papers.

#31 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

I've never seen any of these prospects (1-50) so all I can do is appreciate the list. It's strange though; I definitely end up leaning towards "favorites" based on stats and write ups alone.

Thanks for all these lists!
  • birdwatcher and Vanimal46 like this

#32 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

If you think Diaz should be low because he only played in A ball in 2017, you may not want to read the Top 10 prospects.... 

(Cough) Brusdar Graterol (Cough, Cough) E-Town(Cough)

#33 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

That got me wondering, Seth.Would Jeffrey Marte have been in the Top 10 had he not been let go recently? 

Will also be interesting to see how/where you rate the two shortstops compared with each other.  

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

That got me wondering, Seth. Would Jeffrey Marte have been in the Top 10 had he not been let go recently?

Will also be interesting to see how/where you rate the two shortstops compared with each other.

He was #30 in this series.

#35 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

Ha. Lewis Thorpe as a household name is pretty hilarious. Pretty sure 19 out of 20 twins fans have no idea who he is todsy, let alone in 2013. I love thorpedo more than almost anyone but household name made me laugh.

#36 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

I constantly went back and forth with Garver when I saw him in action. I would go from, "I don't think this guy can hit up here well enough," to, "man, this guy has such easy power to right field."

I hope he at least gets a fair shot...but who else is going to take away his ABs besides Castro? Any other catchers on the rise or radar in FA?

Do Wade's numbers and size/athleticism remind anyone else of Michael Brantley? Or am I way off here? Anyone know what he looked like in the minors?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#37 andy4butler

andy4butler

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

I'm going to disagree with the love for Garver.I'm not sure the FO is a fan of his defensive ability (and we know how important it is for them).While I agree that he could be a solid back-up / fringe starter, an already 26 year old "prospect" seems to be out of place on this list.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lewin diaz, lamonte wade, mitch garver, lewis thorpe, zack littell